MegaSilver

N-1 Naboo Starfighter Preview!

Posted (edited)

Did I spot the error in the article?

"Like Ric Olié, Dineé Ellberger also gains a bonus based on the speed of her maneuver. She prefers to take a more measured approach, however, attempting to match speeds with enemy ships to keep them from modifying their dice. Pulling off such a feat isn’t always easy, but with an astromech like R2-A6 helping modify her speed on the fly, Ellberger should have little trouble getting the upper hand on her opponents.  "

The quote implies that R2-A6 helps her get her ability to go off, but the droid lets you change your speed AFTER you reveal.
Her card states that her revealed speed is what needs to match the enemy's ship which would mean the Astromech wouldn't really help get her ability to work. Am I reading this right?

swz40_dinee-ellberger.pngswz40_card-r2-a6.png

Edited by Force Majeure

Posted (edited)

Between the article title, the opening quote and Anakin's ability, FFG are really abusing those prequel memes. Honestly, while I do think it's quite funny, I'm also dreading the inevitable quote literally every time Anakin's ability is used. No one runs a joke into the ground faster than nerds.

R2-A6 is such an obvious fit on Ric and Dinee that it makes me genuinely sad for the Rebels' boring astromechs. Depending on price, I wouldn't be surprised to see that on Delta-7 Anakin either. Do we think it might scale with Initiative? Maybe cheaper on Dinee than Ric, given that it's way better with his Init and ability. 

R2-A6 is also really similar as a name to R2-A3, which makes me even more skeptical we'll ever see Wedge's astro in the game. Ah well.

Passive Sensors are obviously the biggest thing here. There are so many ships that can take them and want to take them. It feels like a fix card to TIE Advanced generics for one; I'd expect to see it glued to Tempests if you can still fit five in a list with this. Generic Os-1 Gunboats are going to absolutely love it as well, unless it can't be triggered with Adv SLAM? I'm a bit unsure about that one, but that extra action is still within their Perform Action step, right? ****, if it works even Vynder probably prefers it to FCS. 

The more I think about it, the more I think this will probably be Adv Sensor prices. It's basically as potent. 

The Handmaiden's are a fun niche. My anal retentiveness is kinda being triggered by the art being based on AotC, when the reason the decoy works is because Padme's in the fighter, while the decoy is in the cruiser, but I guess the principle still works when you look at it as a mechanic in isolation. I do like that the effect is stronger when they're protecting either the other decoy or Padme, so I guess I'll take that. 

Dial's kinda interesting. Tallon rolls but no k-turn is an interesting niche. 3 speeds are super attractive between the blues and Full Throttle, but they can slow roll in with the 1s if they really want to. With those stats, though, they're super fragile at speed 1 and 2. 

18 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

The quote implies that R2-A6 helps her get her ability to go off, but the droid lets you change your speed AFTER you reveal.
Her card states that her revealed speed is what needs to match the enemy's ship which would mean the Astromech wouldn't really help get her ability to work. Am I reading this right?

Interesting bit of semantics. R2-A6 changes your dial. The implication on Ric and Nivee's abilities seem to be "whatever is shown as the selected maneuver on your dial when you engage". But that isn't what it says. It doesn't say what's on your dial, it says your 'revealed maneuver'. 

I still think that means "the maneuver currently on your revealed dial" and it works, but it wouldn't take much to convince me that only apply to the "maneuver you revealed when you revealed your dial". 

Edited by GuacCousteau

2 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

The more I think about it, the more I think this will probably be Adv Sensor prices. It's basically as potent. 

Except it can be blocked, doesn't work if you do a red, and (most importantly) doesn't let you reposition pre-maneuver.

I think the only reason AS is so expensive is because of what it does for Guri et al.

Passive Sensors are the only interesting thing here, and they look to be good, even if the card text is super clunky.  Hopefully these end up 2 points or less to make lock dependent generics more competitive. 

If we're lucky FFG will see to giving the Aggressor the sensor slot as well, as that poor ships needs all the help it can get, especially if it ever wants to leverage its dual missile slots.

5 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

Passive Sensors are obviously the biggest thing here. There are so many ships that can take them and want to take them. It feels like a fix card to TIE Advanced generics for one; I'd expect to see it glued to Tempests if you can still fit five in a list with this. Generic Os-1 Gunboats are going to absolutely love it as well, unless it can't be triggered with Adv SLAM? I'm a bit unsure about that one, but that extra action is still within their Perform Action step, right? ****, if it works even Vynder probably prefers it to FCS. 

Adv Slam is after you perform a slam action you may perform a action FROM YOUR ACTION BAR so I would say it doesnt work.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Except it can be blocked, doesn't work if you do a red, and (most importantly) doesn't let you reposition pre-maneuver.

I think the only reason AS is so expensive is because of what it does for Guri et al.

And AS doesn't work if you start the turn stressed, so what? Both of them have stress controls, just at different timing. If you start the turn stressed, doesn't matter if you dial in a blue, you can't use AS. You can use PS if you start the turn stressed and complete a blue. 

AS giving you pre manuever repositioning is super potent on ships with good access to reposition actions and similar tricks like the Star Viper, yes.

PS is super potent on ships that need locks to trigger their abilities and usually can't get them because of their low Init. PS will be a way bigger deal on low Init TIE Advanceds than AS has ever been on them, for example. 

PS might not quite be big enough to hit the same 10 points as AS, but I imagine it'll be up there at 7-9. 

3 minutes ago, K13R4N said:

Adv Slam is after you perform a slam action you may perform a action FROM YOUR ACTION BAR so I would say it doesnt work.

Yep. There was something in the back of my mind telling me it wouldn't work. 

That's it. Can't believe I forgot that. 

So yeah, probably not much help for Gunboats.

Edited by GuacCousteau

Ric Ollie is incredible depending on point cost. A 3/3/3/2 statline essentially with free evade. Anything in the low 40pt range is gonna make him be a very popular ship for the republic. Basically the Lulo of the republic. He will be everywhere.

Dinee is very interesting, i3 gonna hurt, but going against certain lists like rebel beef and their 1 and 2 speed maneuvers, she can be magnificent. Her ability works for EVERY enemy ship. throw r2-a6 on her along with a Sense jedi and an entire howlswarm are chucking unmodded dice against her.

Passive Sensors is going to open up a whole new meta. ordnance spam inbound.

14 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

Between the article title, the opening quote and Anakin's ability, FFG are really abusing those prequel memes. Honestly, while I do think it's quite funny, I'm also dreading the inevitable quote literally every time Anakin's ability is used. No one runs a joke into the ground faster than nerds.

It's going to be free MOV as everyone will concede by turn six just to stop the onslaught. Add Kenobi for free High Ground meme and "Hello there" every time he moves. Also Palpatine for... Basically all the other quotes.

10 minutes ago, K13R4N said:

Passive Sensors also has the same exact limitation as SLAM of being the action taken during the Perform Action step.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

PS might not quite be big enough to hit the same 10 points as AS, but I imagine it'll be up there at 7-9. 

AS is hardly seeing any play at 10 points (except Guri who would buy it for any price). PS would see very little play at 7 points because at that point you may as well invest in higher initiative anyway. At least that gives you the option of reposition or focus at high initiative, which PS generics don't get.

17 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

And AS doesn't work if you start the turn stressed, so what? Both of them have stress controls, just at different timing. If you start the turn stressed, doesn't matter if you dial in a blue, you can't use AS. You can use PS if you start the turn stressed and complete a blue. 

You miss the point: AS makes sure you get an action every turn, even when you do a red. If you're doing a blue you probably didn't need AS in the first place. If you do a red, you get an action. If you did a red last time and you do a blue, you get an action. The only way to miss your action is if you did a red last turn and your blue gets blocked. PS doesn't work if you do a red or if you get blocked, and it will only ever be as good as a target lock action, and nowhere near as versatile as AS. To be usable AS needs a cost of like 6-7 or else should scale with initiative. PS should be maybe max 5. It's intended for generics. You can't afford to shell out for multiples of this especially since it means you're investing in ordnance for multiple ships as well (except in the case of the X1). I don't see expensive sensors and expensive ordnance adding up on a generic unless I'm very wrong, which I could well be.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

Interesting bit of semantics. R2-A6 changes your dial. The implication on Ric and Nivee's abilities seem to be "whatever is shown as the selected maneuver on your dial when you engage". But that isn't what it says. It doesn't say what's on your dial, it says your 'revealed maneuver'. 

I still think that means "the maneuver currently on your revealed dial" and it works, but it wouldn't take much to convince me that only apply to the "maneuver you revealed when you revealed your dial". 

Yeah, I’d say that the R2-A6’s ability changes what the revealed maneuver is, so whatever the new maneuver, it’s still your “revealed maneuver.” He’s obviously meant to work with their abilities (not that RAI overrides RAW depending on your interpretation).

Edited by SpiderMana
Trimmed quote

2 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Yeah, I’d say that the R2-A6’s ability changes what the revealed maneuver is, so whatever the new maneuver, it’s still your “revealed maneuver.” He’s obviously meant to work with their abilities (not that RAI overrides RAW depending on your interpretation).

"Your revealed maneuver" means the one that's faceup by your pilot card (which is the only way to keep track of what your maneuver was). If you changed your maneuver, it's still that maneuver that is revealed faceup by your pilot card. Seems pretty straightforward to me.