Sign in to follow this  
scrubbless

Valkyrie - Home Brew Scenarios - Statistics, Announcements & Reviews

Posted (edited)

All of the data is contained within the following spreadsheet, where you can find quite granular data of all plays. Including number of plays, Investigators used, plays by language, win/loss charts , average play times, player reviews (these contain spoilers) and more.

You can find the statistics here:

https://goo.gl/xgxdMb

If you are interested in giving Valkyrie a try (its a free community project with no adds so why not!), you can find the latest version here:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/releases/latest

We also have a discord channel that is used to discuss all things Valkyire including development and Content creation:

https://discord.gg/QneeU8Z

If you want to try your hand at Valkyrie scenario writing and produce your own content I have written, with the help of some community members a (nearly 200 page) guide that covers everything you need to know to get started (and beyond):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gi5gTwKkw84Px0Lvk-bJ3Aml...

Here is an info-graphic of the statistics for easy perusal (i'll try to keep it up to date as I do on BGG), however you can dig deeper in the google sheet linked above:

pic4945361.png

Here is a list of the scenarios and their Expansion requirements:

pic4945365.png

Please use this thread to discuss anything Valkyrie, be it feed back on the app, suggestions, scenario reviews that you could not put in game or just if you want to bump the thread.

EDIT: Been a while, updated image 11/09/19

Edited by scrubbless

Posted (edited)

Just played my first MoM 2.0 Valkyrie scenario tonight. 

I'm still fairly new to the game and recently acquired all expansions including the tile and figure collections, and have been playing the official scenarios in the order they appear in the FFG app up to and including Cult of Sentinel Hill.

I was curious to try out some Valkyrie scenarios, and instead of going straight for the most highly rated/popular scenarios, I went for something that was on par with Cult of Sentinel Hill (the poorest rated FFG scenario). I thought I could only go up from there if I wasn't impressed with mid-rated Valk scenarios, and I also wanted to start out with scenarios that use only Core set or RN/SM tiles and monsters.

So I gave Exotic Material a whirl... at first, I wasn't impressed. But the deeper into the scenario I went, the more I appreciated it in spite of its shortcomings. I played solo with 2 investigators and lost, but look forward to trying it again.

What I liked:

. unsettling NPC behaviour during the first part of the scenario and a set-up that screamed Lovecraft... I kept wondering when things were going to "happen."

. mythos events, attack descriptions, and horror checks that were for the most part very relevant and thematic in relation to the scenario... some were downright scary, I could really envision the horror unfolding before my eyes. The official FFG scenarios are sometimes a little bit too all over the place for my taste. I couldn't believe how well they aligned even with the horror/damage cards I drew to advance the narrative.

. good use of Core set tiles that had not been used in Core set scenarios.

. major conundrum: there are few clues to collect (a lot fewer than in official scenarios), so spend them wisely. Or die. Even going in with Professor Walter and Mandy Thompson (random deal based on the 4 investigators I thought would be the best narrative fit for what little I knew the scenario was about), who synergies well to generate clues, Mandy burned through her reserve really quickly at the end... and died. Their respective weaknesses in physical tests were seriously detrimental, but I still look forward to trying with them again.

. innovative mechanics: the interactions with the meteor fragment were really surprising/interesting. 

. interesting problem to solve once you're familiar with the scenario. 

. the scenario felt creative / sufficiently different from official scenarios. 

. the town of Rowley is actually mentioned in Shadows Over Innsmouth! Bonus points! 

What I didn't care for as much:

. a scenario doesn't get more linear and rail-roady than this (but the ending and meteor mechanics made up for it). You won't be leaving any stones unturned.

. somewhat silly placement of items (there's a Tommy gun just sitting there in a pile of rubbish on the street? Well, I suppose I can come up with an in-game reason for that even if it feels like a stretch). 

. no meaningful decisions to make until you reach the big baddie and artifact at the end of the railroad several turns in... but maybe that's where I went wrong during my first play through? I was eliminated during R11... I wonder how well the "threat timer" has been implemented for games where the investigators turtle a while longer, as I can easily see myself doing with Walter and Thompson).

. Non-use of evidence cards means that only 3 insanity cards (instead of the already limited 4) can be drawn during a solo game.

Jury still out:

. is there any randomization in starting items and items found during the game (will the tommy gun invariably be the first item I find each game)? Only repeat plays will tell.

. is the scenario balanced for different investigator counts? 

. will there be any variation in mythos events and horror checks, or will they always play out in the same order? I really hope there will be some variation.

App stuff:

. the app seemed kind of "jerky" as it instructed the placement of tokens and tiles.

. music/sounds denoting change in phases not as smooth/pleasant as the official FFG soundtrack.

. it was much easier for me to take snap shots of the log (white background, more text to be captured on screen, details of horror checks included in log) for future session reporting.

. couldn't input damage on monsters as it occurred, e.g., from fire or secondary spell effects -- first had to wait for all monsters to complete their activations, even if they would have died from fire before being able to attack. Minor annoyance.

All in all, I was impressed with Valkyrie, and in spite of its shortcomings and simplicity, I found "Exotic Material" worth playing. And if that's a "weak" scenario in comparison to others (judging by user ratings), then things look really promising for me...

I look forward to playing a lot more of these scenarios, and thank all those who have made contributions!

Cheers!

Edited by TwiceBorn

Posted (edited)

Awesome, glad it was a decent experience and was great that you dived in at the middle of the pack.

I am not sure if I missed it in you post, was the scenario overall comparable to the similarly rated official  scenarios.

One thing i worry about is that people are going in with lower expectations to Vlakyrie scenarios and marking them higher than the official ones.

I have a couple of scenarios that i wrote in there, would love to hear your feedback if you play them:

A Stress and Strain 

A Strain On Reality 

Edited by scrubbless

FYI:

> . is there any randomization in starting items and items found during the game (will the tommy gun invariably be the first item I find each game)? Only repeat plays will tell.

Yes, this is quite random (why you also get unthematic things).

> . is the scenario balanced for different investigator counts? 

As much as I feel is reasonable. Certainly better than some official scenarios.

> . will there be any variation in mythos events and horror checks, or will they always play out in the same order? I really hope there will be some variation. 

Yes, but with limitations, particularly the custom events are a limited pool to pick from.

Posted (edited)

I am pleased to announce my latest creation, this is a stand alone scenario for 2 - 3 Investigators. There is a difficulty option to make this 2, 3 or 4 stars and there is difficulty scaling based on how well or badly the party is doing. There is a large amount of variety in this scenario, with several alternative tiles.

There are some custom puzzles, so for those that are a bit daunted or stuck I would urge you to keep trying, if you are stuck there will be an opportunity to bypass at a cost (you'll understand this more when you play).

pic4769173.png

EDIT: I have removed the 4 and 5 player options as it did not play well in further play testing.

Edited by scrubbless

17 hours ago, BruceLGL said:

FYI:

> . is there any randomization in starting items and items found during the game (will the tommy gun invariably be the first item I find each game)? Only repeat plays will tell.

Yes, this is quite random (why you also get unthematic things).

> . is the scenario balanced for different investigator counts? 

As much as I feel is reasonable. Certainly better than some official scenarios.

> . will there be any variation in mythos events and horror checks, or will they always play out in the same order? I really hope there will be some variation. 

Yes, but with limitations, particularly the custom events are a limited pool to pick from.

Thanks for your insights, Bruce, and for all the effort you put into the scenario. Sincerely appreciated. I ended up playing the scenario 4 times (first two with Mandy Thompson and Harvey Walters, last two with Monterey Jack and Kate Winthrop), and finally won on my last attempt.  The more I played it, the more I enjoyed it (better dice rolls may also have factored into that 🙂

I absolutely love the mechanics and flavour text that you worked into the handling of the meteorite, and the scenario set-up was intriguing. 

For the Valkyrie team... it seems that I am only able to leave feedback at the end of a scenario if I actually win the scenario (seems to have been the case also with A Little Night Music, the only other Valkyrie scenario I've played thus far)? Also, if I recall correctly, I had to select "quit game" after pressing "investigator eliminated" when I lost the game by RAW on the following turn... and I never got an ending message or the chance to complete the survey (and report defeat instead of victory). Is that normal? Or did I miss something? 

It should end at the end of the following turn after you mark investigator eliminated. Unfortunately this isn't consistent with the official app. It also requires the scenario to support this ending type.

3 hours ago, BruceLGL said:

It should end at the end of the following turn after you mark investigator eliminated. Unfortunately this isn't consistent with the official app. It also requires the scenario to support this ending type.

That's what I tried, but it didn't do anything. 

Just out of curiosity, Bruce, did Exotic Materials have different endings for investigator eliminated or investigation incomplete (assuming a hard time limit was built into the scenario)?

On 5/30/2019 at 6:38 PM, scrubbless said:

I am pleased to announce my latest creation, this is a stand alone scenario for 2 - 3 Investigators. There is a difficulty option to make this 2, 3 or 4 stars and there is difficulty scaling based on how well or badly the party is doing. There is a large amount of variety in this scenario, with several alternative tiles.

There are some custom puzzles, so for those that are a bit daunted or stuck I would urge you to keep trying, if you are stuck there will be an opportunity to bypass at a cost (you'll understand this more when you play).

pic4769173.png

EDIT: I have removed the 4 and 5 player options as it did not play well in further play testing.

I have released Escape - Version 1.1.2. Please be sure to update the scenario before playing.

It is still locked to 2 and 3 player mode for the time being, but I am working on a better 4 and 5 player mode and have some ideas on how I can make this work better. I will release this functionality in Version 2, so keep an eye here for that update.

Here is the change log for version 1.1.2 for those interested.
- Added more evidence to Journal
- Converted "one", "two", "three", etc for damage, clues and horror to "1", "2", "3", etc.
- Added a variable for some tests (mostly negate tests) - {var:roll} its value is dictated by how well the investigators are doing in the scenario on normal mode, in hard and easy mode these are statically set to low or high.
- Started adding pre-work to re-enable 4+5 players.
- Added additional variables to track players progress (what tiles used, what puzzles passed, etc). 

Posted (edited)

A new version of Valkyrie has been released, 2.4.01. This is bug fixes mostly, however the next release has Descent Lost Legends integration among other feature updates.

Welcome Back Bruce! Great to have you working on Valkyrie once more.

The latest version can be found at the usual place:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/releases/latest

Edited by scrubbless

My latest scenario 'Arkham Crime Wave' is now ready for download.

It is a sequel to the FFG scenario 'Gangs of Arkham' and requires the expansion 'Streets of Arkham' to play. You can play the scenario without playing Gangs first but you will be more familiar with the characters and setting by playing the official scenario first.

'Arkham Crime Wave' is a murder mystery. Nearly all the major clues can be reviewed by examining items you have collected but it is recommended to make notes to keep track of means, motive and opportunity.

I have deliberately made this mystery easier to solve than the mind-melter 'In the Dark' but (unlike FFG's Gangs scenario) you will need to put together a number of disparate clues to solve the crime.

If you find the scenario too hard or too easy please mention this in the feedback. All constructive criticism is gratefully received.