Jukey

Endor custom battle rules

Since the announcement of the SSD, I've been planning how to do a simulated Endor battle.

The plan is this.

6'x6' play area.

Empire 3200 points  (4 800 pt fleets)

Rebels 2800 points (4 700 pt fleets)

The SSD must be included, with Executor title, and Piett as the commander.

Home one must be present with admiral Ackbar as the commander.

At least one ISD must be included in each fleet.

Deployment:

One side of the play area will be designated as the death stars edge.  Rebel deployment begins at range 5 of the death stars edge, and ends 3 range rulers away from the death stars edge.  Imperial deployment begins at range 5 of the far side of the deathstar, and ends 3 range rulers from the same side.

Special Rules:

Turn 1-2, The Empire cannot attack with capital ships.  Squadrons can still engage.

Turn 3 and 5,  The deathstar fires at a target.  Must be a large base ship.  Must be unobstructed LoS to the deathstar edge.  Roll 9Red, 9Blue, 9Black for attack.

Turn 4, the deathstar shield drops.  Rebel squads may exit the deathstar edge of the play area and perform a battery attack.  Crits destroy the deathstar.

If the SSDs auxiliary arc shields are down and an A-wing is at distance 1 and unengaged, destroy that squad, and roll a black die,  on a crit, the SSD is destroyed.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Posted (edited)

If you want to do this right, than you need more fleet building restrictions!

Imps: Ships = SSDs and ISDs only / Squads = TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor only (You may allow Lambda Shuttles but no Colonel Jendon.)
The following upgrade cards are unavailable: Governor Pryce / Admiral Ozzel / Admiral Titus / Captain Needa / Minister Tua / Agent Kallus / Commandant Aresko / Wulff Yularen / Hondo Onaka / Darth Vader / Emperor Palpatine / Grand Inquisitor / Captain Brunson / Taskmaster Grint / Commandant Aresko / Director Krennic / Wulff Yularen

As Commander you can equip Admiral Piett or Moff Jerjerrod.

Rebels: MC80H1, MC80L, Nebulon B, CR90, and GR75 only / Squads = X-wings, Y-wings, B-wings, A-wings, and Lando's Millenium Falcon only (No Luke Skywalker or Biggs Darklighter.)

The following upgrade cards are unavailable: Ahsoka Tano / Leia Organa / Lando Calrissian / Raymus Antilles / Bail Organa / Hondo Onaka / Caitken and Shollan / Jyn Erso / Cham Syndulla

As Commander you mus equip Admiral Ackbar.

Edited by Triangular
added A-wings and Wulff Yularen, thanks to reminding posts

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Triangular said:

If you want to do this right, than you need more fleet building restrictions!

Imps: Ships = SSDs and ISDs only / Squads = TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor only (You may allow Lambda Shuttles but no Colonel Jendon.)
The following upgrade cards are unavailable: Governor Pryce / Admiral Ozzel / Admiral Titus / Captain Needa / Minister Tua / Agent Kallus / Commandant Aresko / Wulff Yularen / Hondo Onaka / Darth Vader / Emperor Palpatine / Grand Inquisitor / Captain Brunson / Taskmaster Grint / Commandant Aresko / Director Krennic

Rebels: MC80H1, MC80L, Nebulon B, CR90, and GR75 only / Squads = X-wings, Y-wings, B-wings, and Lando's Millenium Falcon only (No Luke Skywalker or Biggs Darklighter.)

The following upgrade cards are unavailable: Ahsoka Tano / Leia Organa / Lando Calrissian / Raymus Antilles / Bail Organa / Hondo Onaka / Caitken and Shollan / Jyn Erso / Cham Syndulla

As Commander you mus equip Admiral Ackbar.

Also no Vader boarding party, Pryce, Tua, Ozzel officer, Needa, Aresko, Krennic, Yularen (may the Force be with him), Grint and Versio (she was planetside).

Gosh a lot of officers are dead by that time :D

Edited by Norell

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Triangular said:

Sloane was totally there and high enough up in the chain of command to order a retreat... just saying.

And so were A-wings, including all the aces (and all the B-wing aces, and Norra...)

Edited by The Jabbawookie

2 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Sloane was totally there and high enough up in the chain of command to order a retreat... just saying.

And so were A-wings, including all the aces (and all the B-wing aces, and Norra...)

Sloane would be a little bit unfair. We played an Endor scenario once with 1.200 pts (400 pts squadrons) and the supremacy of the TIEs was already overwhelming without Sloane.

Maybe you can it take like this: If the Emperor will have the choice between two white male high ranking officers and a colored woman ...

3 hours ago, Norell said:

Also no Vader boarding party, Pryce, Tua, Ozzel officer, Needa, Aresko, Krennic, Yularen (may the Force be with him), Grint and Versio (she was planetside).

Gosh a lot of officers are dead by that time :D

All of them were in my list except for Wulff Yularen and Versio. No Vader means none of the unique Vader cards. Thanks!

A 200 point squad ball of Sloane would hurt, but remember that rebels have 2 turns that they can close in and flak to deal with imperial squads breaking thru to protect the deathstar.  3 hull squads die fast.

Also forgot to add that the deathstar has to have Centicores ability more or less.

9 hours ago, Triangular said:

Maybe you can it take like this: If the Emperor will have the choice between two white male high ranking officers and a colored woman ...

Is it possible to not turn this place into the toxic dump that is Twitter?

Posted (edited)

I'm really liking the suggestions presented by @Triangular and @Norell, as well as the rest.  It really hadn't occurred to me to go deeper into the fleet build rules for thematics.

There do still need to be 4 commanders to each side.  So, which ones are acceptable? So far, for Empire, its Piett, Jerj, and Sloane,  not sure for the 4th,  I forget if Tagge is still around.

For rebels,  Ackbar,  I think Mothma,  and who else?

Also, although not entirely thematic,  I would allow VSDs, Interdictors, Raiders (at least the corvus if it's in the RiM set), and probably Arquittens.  I have 7 ISDs, but I'm going to need more to fill in the gaps 😁 

Also, fleet build rules would follow sector fleet rules, so only 1/4 of a fleet can be squads.

Edited by Jukey

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2019 at 6:23 AM, Jukey said:

There do still need to be 4 commanders to each side.  So, which ones are acceptable? So far, for Empire, its Piett, Jerj, and Sloane,  not sure for the 4th,  I forget if Tagge is still around.

Named characters (unique upgrades) at the time of Battle of Endor.

A) Imperial Commanders

Admiral Piett ABOARD SSD Executor as Commander

Moff Jerjerrod ABOARD Death Star II as Commander

Admiral Sloane ABOARD ISD Vigilance as Commander

Admiral Screed UNKNOWN (Legends: participated in the Battle of Endor)

Grand Admiral Thrawn LOST IN ACTION (during the Battle of Lothal)

Admiral Ozzel DEAD (Strangeled by Vader over Hoth)

Admiral Konstantine DEAD (during the Battle of Attollon)

Admiral Motti DEAD (at Death Star I)

General Tagge DEAD (strangled by Vader shortly after Battle of Yavin)

Grand Moff Tarkin DEAD (at Death Star I)

Emperor Palpatine ABOARD Death Star II in throne room

Darth Vader ABOARD Death Star II in throne room

B) Imperial Officers*

Commander Gherant ABOARD SSD Executor

Admiral Chiraneau ABOARD SSD Executor

Admiral Montferrat ABOARD ISD Devastator as Commander

Lira Wessex UNKNOWN (but could be at SSD as leading engineer)

Iden Versio At ENDOR SURFACE

Director Isard UNKNOWN (but unlikely)

Captain Brunson UNKNOWN (died possibly during Battle of Lothal)

Governor Pryce DEAD (during the Battle of Lothal)

Admiral Titus DEAD (1 BBY at Jalindi)

Captain Needa DEAD (Strangeled by Vader for letting escape enemies)

Minister Tua DEAD (4 BBY at Lothal)Taskmaster Grint DEAD (4 BBY executed at Lothal)

Commandant Aresko DEAD (4 BBY executed at Lothal)

Instructor Goran DEAD (Battle at Lothal)

Wullf Yularen DEAD (at Death Star I)

Director Krennic DEAD (at Battle of Scarif)

Agent Kallus RENEGADE (after the Battle at Attolon)

Grand Inquisitor VACANT (since 4 BBY)

C) Other Unique Upgrade Cards*

Hondo Ohnaka UNKNOWN (but unlikely)

Relentless UNKNOWN (former service at Lothal)

Chimaera MISSING IN ACTION (since Battle of Lothal)

Sovereign DESTROYED (4 BBY over Mustafar)

Avenger UNKNOWN (over Hoth commanded by Captain Needa)

Devastator PARTICIPATED

Seventh Fleet SD UNKNOWN (former service at Lothal)

Executor PARTICIPATED

Eclipse UNLIKELY (only 1 SSD / Palpatine's flagship)

Ravager UNLIKELY (only 1 SSD over Endor)

Annihilator UNLIKELY (only 1 SSD over Endor)

C) Imperial Aces

Mauler Mithel DEAD (at Battle of Yavin)

Howlrunner ABOARD TIE Fighter

Valen Rudor UNKNOWN

Black Squadron UNKNOWN (but likely)

Sontir Fel ABOARD TIE Interceptor

Ciena Ree ABOARD TIE Interceptor

Saber Squadron PARTICIPATING

Colonel Jendon WAITING at Deat Star II

* only those not mentioned above at "Commanders"

Edited by Triangular
added ship titles and other named upgrade cards

Posted (edited)

Named characters (unique upgrades) at the time of Battle of Endor. Part II

A) Rebel Commanders

Admiral Ackbar ABOARD MC80 Home One

General Madine PARTICIPATED

Mon Mothma PARTICIPATED

General Rieekan UNKNOWN (but likely aboard Liberty)

General Cracken ABOARD Millenium Falcon

Garm Bel Iblis At Peregine's Nest

General Dodonna DEAD (shortly after Battle of Yavin at Mako-Ta Space Docks)

Admiral Raddus DEAD (at Battle of Scarif)

Commander Sato DEAD (at Battle of Attolon)

Leia Organa At ENDOR SURFACE

B) Rebel Officers*

Walex Blissex PARTICIPATED

Major Derlin PARTICIPATED

Toryn Farr UNKNOWN (but likely)

Adar Tallon UNKNOWN (but likely)

Ahsoka Tano UNKNOWN (but unlikely)

Sabine Wren UNKNOWN (but unlikely)

Lando Calrissian ABOARD Millenium Falcon

General Draven DEAD (shortly after Battle of Yavin at Mako-Ta Space Docks)

Raymus Antilles DEAD (shortly after Battle of Scarif)

Bail Organa DEAD (shortly before Battle of Yavin)

C) Other Unique Upgrade Cards*

Caitken and Shollan DEAD (at Battle of Scarif)

Jyn Erso DEAD (at Battle of Scarif)

Cham Syndullah UNKNOWN (but unlikely)

Hondo Ohnaka UNKNOWN (but you never know for sure!)

Bright Hope UNKNOWN (but likely)

Quantum Storm UNKNOWN (invented by FFG)

Jaina's Light UNKNOWN (but unlikely)

Tantive IV DESTROYED (over Tatooine)

Dodonna's Pride UNKNOWN (invented by EaW)

Yavaris PARTICIPATED

Salvation DESTROYED / UNCLEAR (There are two Nebs with this title...)

Redemption PARTICIPATED

Defiance PARTICIPATED

Home One PARTICIPATED

Independence PARTICIPATED

Liberty PARTICIPATED

Endeavor UNKNOWN

Mon Karren UNKNOWN

Mon Calamari Exodus Fleet UNKNOWN

D) Rebel Aces

Wedge Antilles ABOARD X-wing

Rogue Squadron PARTICIPATED

Norra Wexley ABOARD Y-wing

Gold Squadron PARTICIPATED

Tycho Celchu ABOARD A-wing

Shara Bey ABOARD A-wing

Green Squadron PARTICIPATED

Keyan Farlander ABOARD B-wing

Ten Numb ABOARD B-wing

Dagger Squadron PARTICIPATED

Lando Calrissian ABOARD Millenium Falcon

Han Solo At ENDOR SURFACE

Luke Skywalker At ENDOR SURFACE

„Dutch“ Vander DEAD (at Battle of Yavin)

Biggs Darklighter DEAD (at Battle of Yavin)

* only those not mentioned above at "Commanders"

Edited by Triangular
added ship titles and other named upgrade cards

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2019 at 6:23 AM, Jukey said:

I'm really liking the suggestions presented by @Triangular and @Norell, as well as the rest.  It really hadn't occurred to me to go deeper into the fleet build rules for thematics.

For rebels,  Ackbar,  I think Mothma,  and who else?

Also, although not entirely thematic,  I would allow VSDs, Interdictors, Raiders (at least the corvus if it's in the RiM set), and probably Arquittens.  I have 7 ISDs, but I'm going to need more to fill in the gaps 😁 

Also, fleet build rules would follow sector fleet rules, so only 1/4 of a fleet can be squads.

We played a Battle of Endor reenactment before wave 3 was published. At that time we only had MC80 Home One, Nebulons and CR90s at the rebel side. They flew against 5 ISDs. That was really a cool sight! And I really want to do this again when the SSD arrived and all ships (even the Millenium Falcon with Calrissian aboard) are published that were seen on screen.

Those games are for fun! So you can decide to play them in every way you like. If you have more funs with Arquitens just do it!

For me it's more about the ship types and squadrons, less about the upgrade cards. But it would feel a bit strange, if Raymus Antilles commands his Tantive IV against a Vader ISD. (Isn't that another movie...?) But we decided to ignore the fate of the aces and let "Dutch" and Biggs fly over Endor, if I remember correctly.

I hope you (all) can benefit from the lists I made. (Even if you ignore parts of it, as I would do.)

P.S. Sorry for the remark about prefering white male officers. That's not my opinion, but the way the Emperor thinks. The Galactic Empire was always described as a bunch of racists and chauvinists. (But that's propaganda from the winning Alliance of scums and villains, I suppose?)

Edited by Triangular
typo

8 hours ago, Triangular said:

P.S. Sorry for the remark about prefering white mal officers. That's not my opinion, but the way the Emperor thinks. The Galactic Empire was always described as a bunch of racists and chauvinists. (But that's propaganda from the winning Alliance of scums and villains, I suppose?)

They were bigoted, but it was rampant speciesism.  Which I would hate to see overlooked, as it’s a worthwhile demonstration of how hatred adjusts for whatever is least understood.

On topic, though: Tagge survived the Death Star and was killed by Vader, and Valen Rudor was seen retired and running a bar in Rebels.

5 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

They were bigoted, but it was rampant speciesism.  Which I would hate to see overlooked, as it’s a worthwhile demonstration of how hatred adjusts for whatever is least understood.

On topic, though: Tagge survived the Death Star and was killed by Vader, and Valen Rudor was seen retired and running a bar in Rebels.

Someone mentioned that Brunson survived Geonosis, But was part of Thrawns staff, so she’d still be equally lost. I haven’t verified that independently yet 

2 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Someone mentioned that Brunson survived Geonosis, But was part of Thrawns staff, so she’d still be equally lost. I haven’t verified that independently yet 

She appeared later in the show with Titus and Slavin after being interviewed with Thrawn.  The three were mentioned to be part of the Lothal sector’s command staff.  So it’s possible she perished in the dome, or died to purrgil, but her fate is currently unknown.

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2019 at 8:25 PM, The Jabbawookie said:

She appeared later in the show with Titus and Slavin after being interviewed with Thrawn.  The three were mentioned to be part of the Lothal sector’s command staff.  So it’s possible she perished in the dome, or died to purrgil, but her fate is currently unknown.

I changed Brunson to "unknown" and corrected Tagge's date of extermination. Also I added the known fates of ISD and SSD ship titles. For rebels I added ship title and other named upgrades to compete the list.

Have fun!

Edited by Triangular

6x6 is an interesting scale, however physically it might be hard to reach the center of the table ( reminds me of RAF bomber command tables during WW2 where people would use special T-rulers to move the pieces)

instead can you think  3x9 ? It might be a bit too linear ( as both sides will start from other side) but at least you can reach pieces much easier

50 minutes ago, LostFleet said:

6x6 is an interesting scale, however physically it might be hard to reach the center of the table ( reminds me of RAF bomber command tables during WW2 where people would use special T-rulers to move the pieces)

instead can you think  3x9 ? It might be a bit too linear ( as both sides will start from other side) but at least you can reach pieces much easier

I think, you're right! We played our 1.200-pts-game at a normal sized area with a "Blockade Run" sort of deployment (which didn't exist at that time). It took us about two rounds before the fight started, and that meant around three hours before the fun began. 1 hour for the deployment and about 1 hour per round for moving so much capital ships and dozens of squadrons. (To be honest: Moving so much TIE Fighters also was fun. 😋)

Posted (edited)

I tried a very similar game about 2 years ago, and it suffered from some issues. Imperial squads with 3 hull get completely shredded trying to fly through 1000+ points of MC80s. Like they don't have a snowball's chance in **** of impeding a single rebel squadron, all of which rush straight to the edge of shield and wait for it to go down. We were playing with a custom executor title that let you activate squadrons at unlimited range, and a custom Piett that set the hull value of every non-unique squadron to 3 when it was activated by a squadron command. That was not enough to make the TIE fighters / TIE interceptors work like you see in ROTJ.

I think an Endor battle with a death star can work pretty well, but I wouldn't try to duplicate the 'imperials just send fighters to start with' narrative element from the movies. The best way to do it is that the imperials have a slightly larger fleet and a superlaser, they send their fleet (star destroyers and fighters together) to try to squeeze the rebels between the shield and the imperial fleet. That gives the rebels a time clock to try to keep their fleet alive (and most importantly their fighters) and drop the shield so they can destroy the death star before they are wiped out.

(We played on 6x3 with the death star on a 3 foot edge, an SSD that was about ~350 points, and using an event deck to dictate when the shield went down and when the superlaser would fire. We are planning on running it again when the official SSD comes out using the WOTC star wars minis to do the throne room and forest moon battles simultaneously)

Edited by bleezy