Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Packerman29

Best washes for storm/snow troopers?

Recommended Posts

I'm a huge fan of Citadel's washes, though I have used both Army Painter and Vallejo as well.  For stormtroopers, it depends on what "look" you are going for.  Nuln oil works fine but might be too dark, while a pale gray wash might not be dark enough.  My troopers are usually covered in Jabiimi or Mimban mud, so I tend to go with Citadel's Earthshade as often as not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nuln Oil is my go to for stormtroopers. Prime in white. Dark gray base on all the "black parts". Wash with Nuln Oil. I could understand diluting, but I personally don't. And clean it up with lots of white highlights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently discovered a really good recipe for an all over wash if you don't want to "pin-wash" (detail in the fine recesses).

I did a 1:1:1 mix of Nuln Oil,  Drakenhof Nightshade & Lahmian Medium.

The nightshade is a blue which dulls down the colouring and fits with the white armour nicely, and the Lahmium thins the whole mixture out nicely and doesn't stain the white armour areas.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2019 at 12:27 AM, AldousSnow said:

Nuln Oil is my go to for stormtroopers. Prime in white. Dark gray base on all the "black parts". Wash with Nuln Oil. I could understand diluting, but I personally don't. And clean it up with lots of white highlights. 

If you don't dilute, you will have to clean up with lots of white hightlights. You still get a good result this way, it is just more work.

The quick method is prime with light gray, zenithal highlighting with white, paint the dark parts with german gray/gun metal gray, directed diluted nuln oil in the seems, then patch up anything that needs patching up. It is great for doing large number of stormies all at once.

If you want show peices, diluting out the wash is still best, but you are manually hightlighting everything.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vallejo blue grey wash. They are not as strong in pigment than the citadel washes, and allow for you to layer on the wash a layer at a time until you at a happy with it.

Vallejo 76524 Model Color 35 ml Wash Paints - Blue Grey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 11:22 AM, syrath said:

Vallejo blue grey wash. They are not as strong in pigment than the citadel washes, and allow for you to layer on the wash a layer at a time until you at a happy with it.

Vallejo 76524 Model Color 35 ml Wash Paints - Blue Grey

I'm getting very much the same effect when  heavy "dry brushing" with contrast apocathary white and bascilicum grey.

 

I'm also finding a few of the new contrasts seem to work even better than originally intended if you use them as the "wash" step of base/wash/highlight. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ralgon said:

I'm getting very much the same effect when  heavy "dry brushing" with contrast apocathary white and bascilicum grey.

 

I'm also finding a few of the new contrasts seem to work even better than originally intended if you use them as the "wash" step of base/wash/highlight. 

 

Pretty much how I'm using them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...