mwknowles

Mechanical and Low-Tech Traps

Hi all,

I'll be running a campaign on a certain forest moon and the locals will have low-tech traps and such scattered around. Now I'm thinking spiked pits, shooting arrows, trip lines linked to spears etc.

However I'm failing to think of trap stats and the rules mechanism to spot and disable (obviously perception and or Vigilance) them but also what difficulty these things will be at.

Want to make them particularly deadly though.

Any and all advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

For setting up the traps and later spotting them you can use the system from the Electro-Snare in Enter the Unknown, this way the traps don't always have the same dmg amount and if you want to get nasty you can use triumphs on the rolls for potential crit traps.

7 hours ago, mwknowles said:

However I'm failing to think of trap stats and the rules mechanism to spot and disable (obviously perception and or Vigilance) them but also what difficulty these things will be at.

Want to make them particularly deadly though.

Well gameplay wise I'm not sure how wise this is but...

Mechanically you'd do a perception or survival check when actively looking for them.

Vigilance for a last second "spot check" to passively avoid it.

If you trip it, either do a status effect, wounds, or a special crit, depending on the trap.

So like a simple snare would immobilize, a swinging log wounds, and pungie sticks lame or cripple you.

7 hours ago, MrTInce said:

I would set difficulty at the skulduggery/survival of the character(s) who set it.

I agree with this and even do a few rolls on setting the traps.  Successes increases the base damage done by the trap and Advantages and Triumphs add difficulty in spotting the trap.  Threats/Despair may make the trap more visible or even disabled.  This could allow the PCs to come across one that did not trigger and allow them to be on the alert.

Take the Cunning Snare talent from the Trailblazer specialization as a basic template, and modify it depending on the kind of trap. Spike traps only deal damage (maybe with the option of poisoning the quarry), snare traps can immobilize the quarry, but deal less damage, pit traps require Athletics checks to get out of... Plenty of options.