Archlyte

Players describing Threat

On 5/19/2019 at 5:51 PM, LordBritish said:

People who are an "extremist" with tunnel visions are all one thing; they are gamer Richards. The moment that person start prioritising their own joy to the expense of others they are becoming a problem that needs to be corrected, which isn't to say a gamer shouldn't sometimes push for something they feel strongly about, but I feel every gaming table needs to have a strong line of communication so everyone can get what they want. Maybe not everyone can get what they want every session, but over the course of a campaign every player should at least have several experience that they were able to share with the table.

Players spending threat is cool if the GM doesn't immediately have something in mind. Personally I love gaming hard and describing my fumbles and what not. It brings a scene to life.

Good point and I agree. DBAD (Don't Be A Richard) is important. The awareness of the group instead of just being completely about one character is a good thing in my book. It prevents the Sim Lord thing where the character is just a cancer on the group because the player has decided it would be fun to be an *******. I find that in Fantasy Games this is the player who heads right for the Drow Assassin or Rogue who is looking to basically facilitate the robbery and betrayal of the group. This is a thing especially in online games. 

I agree about those descriptions and how it brings the game to life.

48 minutes ago, Archlyte said:

I find that in Fantasy Games this is the player who heads right for the Drow Assassin or Rogue who is looking to basically facilitate the robbery and betrayal of the group.

In 5e D&D, it can be the Warlock that spams darkness that only she can see through.

On 5/19/2019 at 10:57 PM, Archlyte said:

Yeah I was going to bring up the part about it being billed as  a Narrative Style game but you covered that. I agree with you to some degree about the success thing, but I would say that this is mainly in the parts of the story where success is gonna be a pay-off according to classic story structure. Also Narrativists hate death because it means that at least for that character it is the end of the story. Gamists hate death because it means they lost. Sim folks don't mind death if it affirms the dangerous nature of the world. 

In the past I would have been unhappy with the narrative elements (like the Talents you mentioned) and I am still suspicious of them to some degree, but I think that is more of a me thing than anything else. I try to be more accepting of the narrative stuff because I know that as a player at times I have really enjoyed it as long as it did not go too far. The Simulationist in me fits your description. 

Most Narrativists I have played with have been totally ok with death, some times even suggesting it themselves or seeking it out. If it's a fitting moment for the character and a nice event in the larger narrative, they don't really care all that much. The narrative is after all bigger than any one character.

27 minutes ago, Darth Revenant said:

Most Narrativists I have played with have been totally ok with death, some times even suggesting it themselves or seeking it out. If it's a fitting moment for the character and a nice event in the larger narrative, they don't really care all that much. The narrative is after all bigger than any one character.

My reasoning here comes form the original GNS material and the attachment I have seen Narrativist Players have to a particular character and having it die due to mechanical failure before the arc is realized. Having said that I think you are right about the other side of it too.  A lot of Narrative players love a good death scene :)