Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gallanteer

Card Packs......?

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Smutpedler said:

IIRC; the Devs said there would be a way for old players to get new cards without buying old ships again. Unless I've missed something (which is entirely possible) they have never stipulated how. So, new ship for a faction with the cards not previously available? Fits the bill and not a lie ;) Just saying :)

It would work, but it would have to include an awful lot of terribly specific upgrades. What ship would have cannon, double-missile, astromech, modification, talent, and force talent?

And that wouldn't give us K-2S0 without re-buying an existing ship either. The devs have all but said he's coming in a card pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

It would work, but it would have to include an awful lot of terribly specific upgrades. What ship would have cannon, double-missile, astromech, modification, talent, and force talent?

And that wouldn't give us K-2S0 without re-buying an existing ship either. The devs have all but said he's coming in a card pack.

Like I said; I could have missed something. Like the Devs saying card packs and k-2so are coming ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Smutpedler said:

I guess the other option is more cards/cardboard in Epic Battles. Call me cynical but I can see FFG taking any opportunity to sell you a new product for those cards.

I’m expecting something along the lines of the Armada campaigns that contained new pilots. 

 

And I’m okay with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fairness, it's a lot easier for Armada to do it in those campaign packs. Squadrons only require one card per unique, and one per generic type. If I want to spam out 10 TIEs with Mauler and Howlie in support, I just need three cards. One pack covers an entire fleet, no matter how the player fields a list. Xwing scenario packs like that are going to have to find a balance between enough pilot cards and upgrade cards that you'd only have to buy it once, and simple price. That's going to be almost impossible to please everyone with.

 

That said, I would like to see it, and it's not the only Armada thing I wouldn't object to being ported over in some way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Smutpedler said:

I guess the other option is more cards/cardboard in Epic Battles. Call me cynical but I can see FFG taking any opportunity to sell you a new product for those cards.

I’m sure that will be a factor. “Buy epic battles .... here’s some new must haves if you want more options!” 

I mean, they’ve done it before so there is a precedent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, NakedDex said:

In fairness, it's a lot easier for Armada to do it in those campaign packs. Squadrons only require one card per unique, and one per generic type. If I want to spam out 10 TIEs with Mauler and Howlie in support, I just need three cards. One pack covers an entire fleet, no matter how the player fields a list. Xwing scenario packs like that are going to have to find a balance between enough pilot cards and upgrade cards that you'd only have to buy it once, and simple price. That's going to be almost impossible to please everyone with.

 

That said, I would like to see it, and it's not the only Armada thing I wouldn't object to being ported over in some way.

Unless they’re doing new generics, I don’t see how this could be an issue at all.

Every squadron in CC was unique. I imagine the same would be true of card/campaign packs. And Armada requires cardboard for bases too.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

It's only fair.

I keep having to buy all these tournament packs just so I can play. ;)

In full disclosure, I fully intended on buying the epic battles packs or whatever we are calling them now because I wanted to play more formats of x-wing and I think it’s great. But I do fully expect there to be unique “standard dogfight” legal product only available in it as well.

Oh, I know - let’s make the tourney players super salty and only include the K2SO pilot in in :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is taking them so long? I finally want some new content!!!

I collect Empire, First Order, Rebels, Resistance and of all these factions only Resistance got some new toys in a LONG time. Really killing my enthusiasm. I dont even want new ships. New Pilots for existing ships would be great. Come on FFG....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Unless they’re doing new generics, I don’t see how this could be an issue at all.

Every squadron in CC was unique. I imagine the same would be true of card/campaign packs. And Armada requires cardboard for bases too.

I'd be surprised if there weren't some generics, or at least limited pilots. CC squadrons were unique, but they also required nothing more than a single card and an inch disc of cardboard (and a defense token in most cases, but we're all swimming in those). Xwing needs pilot cards, base chits, and probably a whole slew of upgrade cards to boot. Even if they didn't do generics, it would be a much higher item count per box, which is a price driver.

I'm still into the idea. CC was a heck of a boost to the game. The pilots it provided were instant hits, the new objectives were (for the most part) really interesting, and it gave us a new way to play the game (despite knowing very few people who actually played the campaign).

What I'm curious about is whether they'll do single or multi faction versions of these potential packs. CC was both Rebel and Imperial, but there are only two factions in Armada so that's easy. On top of that, everything but the squadron cards were usable by both factions anyway. If they go with just raw pilots and upgrades, single faction is the obvious choice.

They could, however, take a leaf out of CC and run these packs as mini campaigns with a theme. Rogue One theme box with early era Imperial and Rebel pilots and upgrades and a mini campaign to use them, for example. Yavin, Hoth, Tansarii Point. That said, that could also just be too complicated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...