Sign in to follow this  
DaddyPool

Damage and Crits

Hello everyone!
Can someone explaine me one thing: Can i crit for 2 Opp via Strike action, if oponent soak all damage with his armor? Does my strike action count succesfull?

For example, i hit (2 success - for hit and 2 opportunity for crit) with my katana enemy in laquired armor (4 damage vs 4 physical protection).

Thanks.

Opportunities resolve before successes. So you would go:

Keep 2 successes and 2 opportunities.

Resolve any strife symbols,

Resolve 2 opportunities and reserve the critical hit.

Resolve 2 successes and determine if you succeed. Succeed is hitting the TN, not dealing fatigue. So if 2 successes hit the TN, you succeed and then get the critical per your opportunity spends.

Edited by Hida Jitenno

Yep. The idea behind a critical strike is that you find an opening in your opponent's defense/ a weak point in their armor and mess them up. An assassin with a knife can get a critical strike against an opponent wearing heavier armor and basically ignores the physical resistance. That's the trade-off for most high deadliness weapons- they tend to inflict less fatigue, but inflict more deadly criticals. While heavier weapons like tetsubos deal more fatigue, but deal less deadly critical strikes.

its also (from the other perspective) why the high-deadliness razor-edged weapons might ever take damage; if your strike would be reduced to 0 damage, the blade gets damaged - so a sensible plan would be to keep only 1 success result and fail the strike action. But razor-edged weapons tend to be really deadly - so will you accept a damaged blade in return for a serious wound to your opponent?

But yes, @Hida Jitenno is correct, you can succeed at a check even if there is no real 'effect' of success