Sign in to follow this  
Cpt.Kirk006

FFG "Waiting for Godot" or "Have You Seen Yoda"

Ok yeah I like Beckett and I like X-Wing/Star Wars stuff.

We have quite a bit of the iconic character's represented in X-Wing and X-Wing 2.0 but we haven't heard or seen hide nor hair of Yoda.

So what are your thoughts on a crew or pilot card for Yoda.

Crew card thoughts of mine.

Yoda

Patient Master

3 force

Adds purple coordinate to your action bar.

Galactic Republic only, large or medium ship only.

2 energy charges (recurring): After you reveal your dial you may spend 2 charges to reduce the difficulty of your maneuver.

Posted (edited)

It'd be so far unique for a crew card to add more than 1 force - though I freely admit if anyone should, it'd probably be old it-isn't-easy-being-green. That said, even Sidious and Vader only add +1 force in their crew card incarnations, regardless of Vader having 3 force as a pilot.

Adding purple co-ordinate is possible, but that makes him look a lot (mechanically) like Chancellor Palpatine, which whilst not a bad thing narratively is an issue mechanically since any ship which can carry Yoda will also be able to carry Palpatine, and if they're too similar in effect, one of them will be 'better' and hence render the other effectively unusable.

It'd also be a first for a force charge adding card to also add 'normal' charges - generally a force charge card uses force charges for its special effect (in addition to their standard use). Reducing manoeuvre difficulty is fine in theory but (a) it feels very close to leia's ability, which is not ideal (admittedly only for the ship he's on) and (b) a lot of republic abilities actually trigger off red manoeuvres.

4 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

I am expecting to see Yoda in Wave 6 as an ETA-2 pilot.

Only if we get a (potentially limited edition or event only) alternate model  'short-round' variant of Yoda's ETA-2

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Here’s how I’d do it:

Yoda 

crew

Republic / Rebel only

+1 Force

At the start of the Engagement phase, you may select a ship within range 0-1 and spend any number of Force tokens. That ship receives a tractor beam token for each Force spent. 

untitled-7.gif 

“Size matters not.”

Magnus,

I did not think about Sidious  when I was waiting for the tram "Godot" that took longer than normal to arrive.

another way to go would be like you said 1 force.

I still think the Coordinate is ok. It is just a coordinate with no stress and dos not provide the focus or Force regen. no flip side of the card either pretty different abilities.

Lose the energy charges and have the ability read as thus: after you reveal your dial you may spend 1 force to reduce the difficulty of your maneuver.  

Leia is rebel only. Yoda would be Republic only and effects only the ship he is on. 

I'd avoid mechanics that are already associated to other cards and stick to something more "Republic'y" - which is the Force.  Jedi are lacking a version of hate so maybe yoda could be used to address that.

Yoda 

crew

Republic / Rebel only

+1 Force

At the start of the engagement phase you may spend up to 1 Force token. if you do all friendly ships at range 1 can recover 1 Force token.

8 minutes ago, Tott said:

At the start of the engagement phase you may spend up to 1 Force token. if you do all friendly ships at range 1 can recover 1 Force token.

Sounds good, but I'd be tempted to make it 'pick' a given number of ships and give it a slightly longer reach. Ships with the force in a republic force generally means jedi, who are essentially arc dodgers.

Putting them on a range 1 choke chain attached to an ARC-170 robs them of their manoeuvrability, which is probably a bad trade for regenerating an extra force token.

37 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Sounds good, but I'd be tempted to make it 'pick' a given number of ships and give it a slightly longer reach. Ships with the force in a republic force generally means jedi, who are essentially arc dodgers.

Putting them on a range 1 choke chain attached to an ARC-170 robs them of their manoeuvrability, which is probably a bad trade for regenerating an extra force token.

Maybe Range 1-2 and you can choose 1 friendly ship to regen a force and transfer a stress or something, possibly at the start of engagement? Yoda was always a good mentor after all. Would have to cost a small fortune too. 

Yoda

Crew

6 points

+3 Force

You may equip the Sense Force Ability to this ship without paying its point cost. Your Force tokens may not be used to modify attack dice.

A Jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense, never for attack. - Yoda

3 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Here’s how I’d do it:

Yoda 

crew

Republic / Rebel only

+1 Force

At the start of the Engagement phase, you may select a ship within range 0-1 and spend any number of Force tokens. That ship receives a tractor beam token for each Force spent. 

untitled-7.gif 

“Size matters not.”

This is pretty much what we did for our 1.0 Yoda crew card. The force mechanics make it even more attractive now, it was an action for us.

Although we had him also able to tractor obstacles, which was pretty nuts.

Posted (edited)

Personally, I believe Yoda has no place whatsoever in a space dog-fighting game, like I believe Yoda has no business whatsoever fighting with a Lightsaber.  Kind of undermines the core of his character, IMO.

But those ships have sailed.

I'll let other folks come up with their ideas: mine is that it doesn't happen.  It's probably as likely to be accurate as anyone else's :P 

//

I've got half an idea for an Actis, however.

3/3/3/0 statline.

Actions: Focus, Red Evade, Barrel Roll -> Red Focus, Boost -> Red Focus.

Dial: Interceptor-like, with only the 1-hards for 1 speed moves, all the 2 speeds as blue along with at least straight speeds up to 4 (I think I'd leave the 5-straight as white).  Some K-Turn, some Tallon Roll.

Upgrades: Certainly Astromech, maybe Mod.

Ship Ability: When Defending, if you are beyond Range 2 or outside the Attacker's Front Arc, you may spend 1 force to turn a Blank result to an Evade.

Edited by theBitterFig

I have always said I am waiting until Yoda comes out before I buy into the republic. I would love to see him out there, but my wallet disagrees with me.

Another character I have been waiting for is Hondo. Scum has been out for quite some time, but still no Hondo!

I like the tractor idea, and @Cuz05 mentioned tractoring obstacles which sounds bonkers and I love it.

Why should Scum get all the obstacle fidgeting abilities 😉

That said tractoring rocks every turn is a bit OP probably, so maybe it costs two force or something. Or gives another effect like stress or strain to move said obstacle.

16 minutes ago, millertime059 said:

Why should Scum get all the obstacle fidgeting abilities 😉

I have no problem with yoda being scum 😛

51 minutes ago, millertime059 said:

That said tractoring rocks every turn is a bit OP probably, so maybe it costs two force or something. Or gives another effect like stress or strain to move said obstacle.

True. As an action, it worked ok-ish, as a trade.

Moving rocks with a 1 template can be a massively untidy fudge though :D

We never really used the card more than a couple times. Thinking about it now, using your 1st 3 actions to shift rocks about could possibly be gamed into way too much.

I have no idea what to expect as far as when he'll show up, or what his ability will be, but I'd wager he will pop up as crew on the LAAT and a pilot in the ETA-2. As a pilot I'd guess 4-5I just to make him decently effective, with 3 force to play with. Not sure why some are calling for a 3 force crew though. That's not gonna happen IMO. The dev's seem to have deemed all force sensitive crew just grant a single force for balancing reasons.

Yoda Crew

+1 force

"After a friendly small or medium ship fully executes a maneuver, you may spend 1 force. That ship may perform a white boost or white barrel action on their action bar, even while stressed."

Repositioning for your squad. A free full throttle for your jedi. Jedi dont have to spend their own force for full throttle. Anakin can red maneuver and boost/roll and then trigger his ability. Oddball can do a red maneuver and boost or roll. Mace can red maneuver and boost or roll. Helps ps1 jedi save force for mods or force upgrades like sense, etc to help them out. Wolffe could take expert handling and yoda for some repositioning help.

For the Yoda pilot, I am looking at the whole "knowledge and defense" quote as other have. Here's what I came up with:

"You cannot spend Force charges while attacking. While defending, you may spend a Force charge to change a blank result to an evade result."

49 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

We still don't have the Tydirium. The only ship in the OT movies to not be given an expansion in X-wing miniatures. 

It has an expansion, just not for Rebels. :P

I'm 100% behind Shuttle Tydirium getting at least a Rebel Quickbuild.  I kinda feel like it'd be a mess for standard 200/6, but it's a shame there isn't a QB for it.

12 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

I am expecting to see Yoda in Wave 6 as an ETA-2 pilot.

You think Eta will be in Wave 6? I'm thinking they'll do the first large base Republic ship as we don't have one yet and we'll have 3 fighters at that point. We shall see. Maybe both! :)

11 hours ago, Arc170Chris said:

You think Eta will be in Wave 6? I'm thinking they'll do the first large base Republic ship as we don't have one yet and we'll have 3 fighters at that point. We shall see. Maybe both! :)

If I was to bet, I would say ETA-2 or LAAT would come next. Feasibly, Yoda could be in either - pilot of the fighter, crew on the LAAT. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a Republic ship that would suit a large base that was not renown as an unarmed shuttle.

On 5/17/2019 at 5:48 AM, Hawkstrike said:

Yoda

Crew

6 points

+3 Force

You may equip the Sense Force Ability to this ship without paying its point cost. Your Force tokens may not be used to modify attack dice.

A Jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense, never for attack. - Yoda

I actually really like this one the most. Not sure about the point cost since he’s adding a bunch of force as well as the sense option, but it is very thematic to Yoda.