Sign in to follow this  
Triangular

Why exhaust Phylon Q7 at all?

There was an interesting question at the Armada wiki. What if you exhaust your Phylon Q7 and then ready it again (same timing) with Interdictor-title: Could you use your Phylon again. I'm quite sure you can't because of page 5 of RRG: "A “when” effect occurs at the moment that the specified event occurs and cannot occur again for that instance of the event."

On the other hand that means Phylon Q7 that can only be used "When you activate, ..." could never be reused even if they wouldn't have to be exhausted. For that I ask:

Why do you have to exhaust "Phylon Q7 Tractor Beams" at all? Is it just like using a belt and a pair of suspenders to hold your pants? Or is there any meaning behind it I don't see? Or am I wrong and you could use Phylon Q7 twice a round, if you ready the card with Interdictor-title?

Because its a choice to use it the exhaust is there to remind you that it has been used.... also dont forget that there are other upgrades in the game that can force another ships upgrades to be exhausted there by preventing it from being used.

As to using it twice, no, because both have the same timing so you get to choice in which order to do them, however as you said once thats been done the window of use has now passed.

Posted (edited)

As stated - although no one uses them, MS-1 Ions do exist.

Things need to be exhaust-able to validate its existence.

plus its part of the stance that “control” in Armada is handled VERY conservatively from a design perspective.

It may even have been unconsciously done - mechanically speaking, it doesn’t really need to be exhaust able to be true ... but it’s a further price put on something that unchecked has the potential to be frustrating 

Edited by Drasnighta

Plus, now I’m thinking about it - We should try to stop (in advance) the argument you could try to activate a ship with Strategic Advisor, trigger Phyloms, Strategic Advisor, pass to your opponent, Interdictor, and then use them again when you ACTUALLY activate.

Because although no one has, I can see it (and no, it doesn’t work that way...)

But Yes, mostly, I think there’s not enough exhausting things / both needing to be exhaust to use, and forcing exhaustion.

Phyloms are just inherently conservative, with its requirement AND modification 

2 hours ago, slasher956 said:

... also dont forget that there are other upgrades in the game that can force another ships upgrades to be exhausted there by preventing it from being used.

Thank you for that thought. I didn't think of it. It makes Phylons Q7 kind of vulnerable to certain attacks. So there is a reason besides of double checking you can't use what you couldn't use in the first place.