I've been using Sun Fac a lot in the Fly Casual Simulator. Wow he is good. IMO Sun Fac + Ensnare needs to be north of 65 points otherwise he is hands down the best Separatist Pilot. Not counting the bullseye, he can pretty easily line up a 4-dice attack on a -1 agility ship every turn. Being able to take a Targeting Computer and access to double mods will make him even better. The fact that he can reposition himself and then his opponent after a red move is just icing on the cake. 

1 minute ago, McGarnacle said:

I've been using Sun Fac a lot in the Fly Casual Simulator. Wow he is good. IMO Sun Fac + Ensnare needs to be north of 65 points otherwise he is hands down the best Separatist Pilot. Not counting the bullseye, he can pretty easily line up a 4-dice attack on a -1 agility ship every turn. Being able to take a Targeting Computer and access to double mods will make him even better. The fact that he can reposition himself and then his opponent after a red move is just icing on the cake. 

Pinpoint Tractor Array: You cannot rotate your mobile arc to the rear. After you execute a maneuver, you may gain 1 tractor token to perform a rotate action. 

Since the Nantex is stressed after a red move, it cannot perform a rotate action therefore can't take a tractor token. RR page 2 near the bottom right:

Paying Costs

A ship can pay a cost for an effect only if the effect can be resolved.

Since the effect of perform a rotate action cannot be resolved from the ship being stressed, it can't pay the cost of gaining the tractor token. 

The Separatists need some good individual pilots as they currently have pretty much just Maul. At 65 points Sun Fac plus ensnare would be the same as base Vader, 10 points more than Soontir, 13 more than Wedge and only 5 less than Fenn. That is a little extreme considering his ability doesn’t work on medium or large ships without at least one other Nantex. 

16 minutes ago, McGarnacle said:

What do you mean by ;not counting the bullseye' here?  Because... you kind of have to his primary (and presumably only) weapons are bullseye and turret.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, McGarnacle said:

Me thinks Fly Casual Sim isn't accurate to Sun Fac's actual capabilities since he is still 4 months out from release at a minimum and from your breakdown of what it is permitting him to do. As @RStan stated you cannot rotate while stressed, thus cannot reposition using the chassis ability (which requires performing the action and gaining the tractor token) while stressed. As @Caduceus01 pointed out medium bases require 2 tractor tokens to be considered tractored and large bases require 3, which is iirc the trigger condition for Sun Fac's extra die. To get the Nantex ship ability + Ensnare to work on a target you have to have guessed where the target you are aiming to shoot at will be and positioned the turret arc the turn before in a different arc (Ensnare triggers on ships in the turret arc, reposition requires that it is paired with the turret rotating arcs, a turret arc cannot be rotated to the same standard arc it was already occupying).

TLDR: If the way you're playing Sun Fac is actually how Fly Cas Sim has him set up, then Fly Cas Sim has been misprogramed when it comes to both the Nantex and Ensnare. Do not gauge Sun Fac's potential from it right now...

Edited by Hiemfire

Sun Fac has the potential to be very very good in the right hands but he will not be easy to use at all. He is probably the first small base I6 that will actually require skill to use unlike double  repositioning I6 aces moving last which require you to not be brain dead.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BrotherFett said:

What is Sun Fac's ability?

Something like: "While performing a primary [attack], [if] the defender is tractored, [...] attack die"

Not sure yet, most guess extra die.

So for Fac's sake, do not play him to death already online!

Especially not with maybe faulty implementations, this can lead to heated discussions at the next tournament. Like " of course, he works like that, he always did <-> no he doesn' t..."

Edited by Managarmr
Spelling

Okay yeah, I guess he has been implemented incorrectly. So he can't actually reposition after a red move and can't rotate the arc to the same arc it was in before. Thanks for pointing this out, everyone!

Nevertheless, I think he will still be quite strong in the right hands.

Just now, McGarnacle said:

I absolutely agree with this. The ship ability may be weird, but I love it. It’s the kind of thing that, when played well, could be beautiful.

And if you can get a critical mass of ESC vultures to play behind it would be frightening. Perhaps the Hyena with a tac relay too. I could see 1-2 Nantex backed by ESC droids being a powerful meta staple.

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

Either an extra die or a reroll against tractored ships, which is ships with enough tract0r tokens to move them.

Sun Fac gets an extra attack die against tractored ships and the I4 named Cheater gets two rerolls against tractored defenders.

Posted (edited)

I figure this thread is a good place to point out that his name is pronounced like "Sun Fact" but without the 't'. He is Delta Squad's target in the Geonosis campaign of the video game Republic Commando.

EDIT: I guess another way to think about his name is "Sun FAQ".

Edited by Parakitor

4 hours ago, Caduceus01 said:

Sun Fac gets an extra attack die against tractored ships and the I4 named Cheater gets two rerolls against tractored defenders.

Source?

11 hours ago, Caduceus01 said:

his ability doesn’t work on medium or large ships without at least one other Nantex. 

I hope the nantex takes off big time because I'm itching to fly my decimator

14 hours ago, McGarnacle said:

Okay yeah, I guess he has been implemented incorrectly. So he can't actually reposition after a red move and can't rotate the arc to the same arc it was in before. Thanks for pointing this out, everyone!

Agreed. The 'rotate must change the turret arc facing' will probably catch people several times.

14 hours ago, millertime059 said:

I absolutely agree with this. The ship ability may be weird, but I love it. It’s the kind of thing that, when played well, could be beautiful.

This. It's the first ship in a while which has me looking covetously beyond strikers - and massed nantex could be interesting as well, since you'll need to throw three tractor tokens in order to tractor larger ships.

I can't really wrap my brain around how you'd need to fly it as a first estimate, but I can see ridiculous amounts of potential for fun.

I eagerly await the commentary on the first streamed TIE Phantom/Nantex dogfight.

"........umm..maybe...then...but......no, not a [****]ing clue."