Sign in to follow this  
Trudem

Dengar

Title, Contraband Cybernetics is where I would start, bare bones.  So 71 points. 

If you want to go beyond that then R5-P8(4) and/or Proton Torps(12).  If you still have points to burn, I like the idea of Expert Handling(6) on him since he is I6.

The problem, if you couldn't tell, is that he gets really expensive really fast, might as well be front arc locked, and the damned ship still has a hard time turning right.

49 minutes ago, Burius1981 said:

Title, Contraband Cybernetics is where I would start, bare bones.  So 71 points. 

If you want to go beyond that then R5-P8(4) and/or Proton Torps(12).  If you still have points to burn, I like the idea of Expert Handling(6) on him since he is I6.

The problem, if you couldn't tell, is that he gets really expensive really fast, might as well be front arc locked, and the damned ship still has a hard time turning right.

Ive been running him with the title and Predator for a tidy 68 points.  I happen to have 7 points left in my build and trying to decide if its worth adding a mech or not

How often do you get Predator?  I've shied away from it on large bases, but I can see Dengar possibly getting some use out of purely based on him being an I6.

I really like R5-P8 for the re-rolls, but a case could be made for R3 to take two target locks.  With the dial being what it is I like Contraband Cybernetics as well.

7 minutes ago, Burius1981 said:

How often do you get Predator?  I've shied away from it on large bases, but I can see Dengar possibly getting some use out of purely based on him being an I6.

I really like R5-P8 for the re-rolls, but a case could be made for R3 to take two target locks.  With the dial being what it is I like Contraband Cybernetics as well.

I was able to consistently get use out of predator when I wasnt bumping myself in late game situations.  If not Predator woudl you just skip the talent?

46 minutes ago, Trudem said:

I was able to consistently get use out of predator when I wasnt bumping myself in late game situations.  If not Predator woudl you just skip the talent?

Probably.  I haven't considered any bullseye talents on Jumpmasters or any large base ships because they will be more difficult to trigger than on smaller bases.  I wish Fearless worked with the Title, it would be a great pick for Dengar.

Dengar would be fine without a Talent but if you have the points these are the ones I would look at: Trickshot, Swarm Tactics, Expert Handling

1 hour ago, Trudem said:

Ive been running him with the title and Predator for a tidy 68 points.  I happen to have 7 points left in my build and trying to decide if its worth adding a mech or not

You could add a hull upgrade for 5, or a shield upgrade for 6.

Extra health is never a bad idea.

I’ve had some fun with this;

(58) Dengar [JumpMaster 5000]
(8) Punishing One
(3) R3 Astromech
(3) Fearless

(47) Manaroo [JumpMaster 5000]
(8) Perceptive Copilot
(3) Intimidation
(2) Tactical Scrambler

(46) Sol Sixxa [Scurrg H-6 Bomber]
(4) Boba Fett
(2) Skilled Bombardier
(3) Seismic Charges
(6) Proximity Mines
(2) Dorsal Turret

Total points: 195

Dengar follows Manaroo around. Manaroo passes focus tokens to Dengar, who has 2x locks, so he has plenty of mods! Sol does bomb shenanigans. ;)

3 wins from 3 casual games... but probably wouldn't have done so well in a more competitive environment; one opponent did admit he’d have declined to shoot Dengar to avoid triggering the bonus attack, even though it was his only shot, if it hadn’t been a casual game! 😛

Dexter, Dengar can't use Fearless. Even when you're attacking in the front arc, it's not a front arc attack for Fearless purposes, it's a mobile arc attack that just happens to be pointing forward. (Compare and contrast with the title's wording to see what I mean.)

Yeah, that's true, dumb rule, and one that needs to be FAQed out, but as it stands Chah is right. 

This is my build that won a store tournament 

M12-L Kimogila Fighter - Cartel Executioner - 62
    Cartel Executioner - (44)
        Swarm Tactics (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (12)
        R3 Astromech (3)

JumpMaster 5000 - •Dengar - 72
    •Dengar - Vengeful Corellian (58)
        Swarm Tactics (3)
        •Punishing One (8)
        R3 Astromech (3)

Swarm Tactics (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (12)
        R3 Astromech (3)

Total: 196/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Course when I won protons were cheaper so Denny had them too, but still nobody likes getting shot 4-3-4 at I6 and then a revenge 3. Plus double locks across the board and DTR is delicious. Debating on putting a spare parts canister on Denny just to mess with people. 

Edited by KingmanHighborn

20 hours ago, DexterOnone said:

I’ve had some fun with this;

(58) Dengar [JumpMaster 5000]
(8) Punishing One
(3) R3 Astromech
(3) Fearless

(47) Manaroo [JumpMaster 5000]
(8) Perceptive Copilot
(3) Intimidation
(2) Tactical Scrambler

(46) Sol Sixxa [Scurrg H-6 Bomber]
(4) Boba Fett
(2) Skilled Bombardier
(3) Seismic Charges
(6) Proximity Mines
(2) Dorsal Turret

Total points: 195

Dengar follows Manaroo around. Manaroo passes focus tokens to Dengar, who has 2x locks, so he has plenty of mods! Sol does bomb shenanigans. ;)

3 wins from 3 casual games... but probably wouldn't have done so well in a more competitive environment; one opponent did admit he’d have declined to shoot Dengar to avoid triggering the bonus attack, even though it was his only shot, if it hadn’t been a casual game! 😛

Fearless doesn't work with Jumpmasters because they don't have a primary attack front arc.

On 5/17/2019 at 7:34 AM, KingmanHighborn said:

Yeah, that's true, dumb rule, and one that needs to be FAQed out, but as it stands Chah is right. 

Swarm Tactics (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (12)
        R3 Astromech (3)

Swarm Tactics (3)
        •Punishing One (8)
        R3 Astromech (3)

Swarm Tactics (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (12)
        R3 Astromech (3)

Course when I won protons were cheaper so Denny had them too, but still nobody likes getting shot 4-3-4 at I6 and then a revenge 3. Plus double locks across the board and DTR is delicious. Debating on putting a spare parts canister on Denny just to mess with people. 

This list just seems lika a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing. 

On 5/17/2019 at 1:34 AM, KingmanHighborn said:

Swarm Tactics (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (12)
        R3 Astromech (3)

Swarm Tactics (3)
        •Punishing One (8)
        R3 Astromech (3)

Swarm Tactics (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (12)
        R3 Astromech (3)

Curious... do you need swarm tactics on all 3??? 

How do people rate the 3x6 list with Fenn,Han and Dengar? Is there something in the idea of the I6 Pilots?

Maybe Fearless Fenn + Dengar w/ title + Han w/ Trickshot. A few points left over to fit something else in, I think I saw a list with hotshot gunner on Han. That could worth as even if you dont get Han behind a rock just TL and throw 2 dice to remove their token for Fenn to hit hard and then next go you can get a TL+Focus shot off from Han. Dengar will be useful as if the ship doesn't have mods (from hotshot) they might not even shoot Dengar. I think this idea has been mentioned alot and it has never been picked up but with the right combo I think this could become a thing. Have any of you tried Fenn/Han/Den?

If nothing changes and newly realised ship are added to hyperspace then this list will become hyperspace legal in a couple of months which makes me think it could be worth putting a little bit of practice in to?

Edited by K13R4N

57 minutes ago, K13R4N said:

How do people rate the 3x6 list with Fenn,Han and Dengar? Is there something in the idea of the I6 Pilots?

Maybe Fearless Fenn + Dengar w/ title + Han w/ Trickshot. A few points left over to fit something else in, I think I saw a list with hotshot gunner on Han. That could worth as even if you dont get Han behind a rock just TL and throw 2 dice to remove their token for Fenn to hit hard and then next go you can get a TL+Focus shot off from Han. Dengar will be useful as if the ship doesn't have mods (from hotshot) they might not even shoot Dengar. I think this idea has been mentioned alot and it has never been picked up but with the right combo I think this could become a thing. Have any of you tried Fenn/Han/Den?

If nothing changes and newly realised ship are added to hyperspace then this list will become hyperspace legal in a couple of months which makes me think it could be worth putting a little bit of practice in to?

I have flown Scum Han in one tournament and hated him.  Its really hard for a large base ship to only have 2 natural attack dice.  At least for me.

40 minutes ago, KingmanHighborn said:

Pred doesn't work with him iirc. And you're much better off with contraband cybernetics. Really helps mitigate the sub par dial. 

He still has a bullseye arc, even if he doesn't have a front-arc primary.  Predator only requires the condition of having a ship in your bullseye and performing a primary attack*, not performing an attack from the front arc.  Since Dengar's turret is his primary and it's most often going to be facing forward to leverage the title, I've found that it makes sense.  

* I was trying to upload a card image but there's a really limiting restriction on file size right now.  I can't get the file small enough.

Edited by feltipern1

On 5/22/2019 at 1:50 PM, Trudem said:

I have flown Scum Han in one tournament and hated him.  Its really hard for a large base ship to only have 2 natural attack dice.  At least for me.

I agree. Not sufficient action ecenomy to deal any real damage. Ends up being more of a support, but somehow it feels like something is missing. Hotshot gunner doesnt seem to help all that much either.