Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dwing

What is the scale for the prequel factions?

Recommended Posts

With the Republic and Seperatist ships all being so small, I get why FFG choose another scale for them, but what is it? Old one is about 1:270 for most ships, looking at the belbullab and droid fighter, is it almost half that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I don't think they're in a smaller scale. They're just bigger than you think they are. 

The Vulture droids are apparently slightly longer than TIE Fighters. 

I'll be honest, that doesn't sound right to me, and given lengths in Star Wars are notoriously all over the place. Wookieepedia's system makes that problem even worse. But the FFG models look like they use a longer, what I would consider to be more accurate, size for the TIE Fighter. And the FFG Vulture Droid lines up pretty well against that and the X-Wing, given it's supposed length. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Odanan said:

Look the stats in wookieepedia, the Prequel ships are not in a smaller scale, they are simply smaller. 

No, just look at the ships, they are clearly bigger, the jedi starfighter next to the x-wing are no where near in scale. the Belbullab is about half the length to an x-wing according to wookiepedia. I get why FFG would have to make them bigger, but I am  curious to now if they scaled them all up the same. The N-1 in this picture extends past the base and in 270 its actually shorter than an x-wing, but model wise they seem to be about the same length.

Edited by Dwing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dwing said:

No, just look at the ships, they are clearly bigger, the jedi starfighter next to the x-wing are no where near in scale. the Belbullab is about half the length to an x-wing according to wookiepedia. I get why FFG would have to make them bigger, but I am  curious to now if they scaled them all up the same. The N-1 in this picture extends past the base and in 270 its actually shorter than an x-wing, but model wise they seem to be about the same length.

Indeed, FFG made them all larger miniatures (because the ships themselves are smaller).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

I'll be honest, that doesn't sound right to me, and given lengths in Star Wars are notoriously all over the place. Wookieepedia's system makes that problem even worse. But the FFG models look like they use a longer, what I would consider to be more accurate, size for the TIE Fighter. And the FFG Vulture Droid lines up pretty well against that and the X-Wing, given it's supposed length. 

Yeah, classic example is the Hammerhead Corvette. On-screen it's a little smaller than a CR90, but the official stats have it longer (making it much, much bigger) than a Nebulon-B! Which is outright ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Leaving aside the accuracy of Wookiepedia (the FFG HWK 290 is accurate to the original depictions of the ship but about half the ludicrous size listed on Wookiepedia), the Belbullab, Vulture and Delta 7 are all listed on Wookiepedia in the 6-8m range, comparable to A-Wings (RZ1 = 9m, RZ2 = 7m). The N1 is llisted as about the same length as an X-Wing, 11-12m.

 

EDIT: If you want to check, the listed 6.71m for a Belbullab at 1:270 gives 2.48cm, or just under 1".

The listed 6.96m for a Vulture comes to 2.58cm, or a shade over 1".

The listed 11m for an N1 comes to 4.07cm, or just over 1 1/2".

Edited by rawbean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rawbean said:

Leaving aside the accuracy of Wookiepedia (the FFG HWK 290 is accurate to the original depictions of the ship but about half the ludicrous size listed on Wookiepedia)

I know you said 'leaving aside' but I can't say no to commenting on this. It's worse than that, even. The Wookieepedia article for the Moldy Crow itself lists the correct length. Yes, the lengths given for the Moldy Crow and the class of ship it belongs to are different. That is the insanity of Wookieepedia's sourcing policy. 

I don't know whether they've updated it since I last looked, but I believe the citations for these two lengths even point to the same (defunct, because of course) source. 

Wookieepedia is probably as good as a fan driven and edited compendium of Star Wars knowledge can be, but boy is it still as unreliable as 'user edited' would imply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 10:24 AM, GuacCousteau said:

the FFG models look like they use a longer, what I would consider to be more accurate, size for the TIE Fighter. 

The original size was based on the movie props - the X-Wing, Y-Wing, and TIE fighter props were assumed to be to the same scale.

A 56 cm long X-Wing model being 13.4m, would mean that a 38cm long TIE fighter model would be 9.09m (pretty close to the Databank's 8.99m figure).

But according to Curtis Saxton, the movie props are not to scale with one another

 

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/exhibit/scale.html

 

the X-wings and Y-wings are 1/24 scale, but the TIE Fighters are 1/16 scale.

 

This is probably the part of the reason why Rogue One shrunk the TIE fighter from 8.99m to 7.2m - because the change to 8.99m was a mistake.

The most recent source - the Haynes TIE Fighter Owner's Workshop Manual, that came out this month - has rescaled lots of the other TIE ships (presumably using the TIE fighter's front viewport as the common reference point).

So- the TIE Interceptor is now 7.7m long, Vader's TIE Advanced x1 is now 5.8m long, and so forth.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be pretty easy for somebody less lazy than I to confirm the correct size for the N1 relative to the X-Wing, as there are plenty shots in films of both of them next to people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...