Sign in to follow this  
JediPartisan

Balance

35 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

Also the chances of winning are definitely not equal if one side has more opportunities if gaining victory tokens.

More ways to gain victory tokens does not equal better chances of winning. One side can have fewer options for securing victory tokens, but might be better suited for it (think higher activation number, deployment via Infiltrate, better mobility). 

I've recently had a chance to combat an imperial gunline with Veers, 2x snipers, 1x DLTDeathTroopers, Boba, some DLT stormtroopers and a unit of snows. 10 activations total. I had my Fly Boys list, with Luke, Han, 1.4FD, Pathfinders, Snipers and infantry to boot. Was it easy? Heck no, one of the hardest games I've played. Did I win? Sadly no (cost me the tournament).

I was blue and manged to force my opponent into cutting either Rapid Reinforcements (w/ 1.4 and Fleets versus Flames) or Recover the Supplies, and we played the latter in clear conditions. I started strong, deploying Pathfinders on the middle objective, going second and picking it and running into light cover with one suppression. My enemy focused fire on them (killed them by the end of the turn), allowing me to push the rest of my army. Then we went back and forth. I've put a lot of dmg on his Boba (1 hp left) and put his flank in check with Luke, he almost killed Han. Then I made the biggest mistake in the game. Having two tokens and control of the center of the battlefield, Instead of withdrawing, I pushed forward, greedy for a kill. In effect, I lost the support of 1.4 that was too far, took a ton of fire and gave Bounty to Boba who killed Han (failed to kill him in turn, with a lot of fire). This way my easy 3:2 win turned into 1:3 loss.

Do i feel like I was handicapped vs my opponent? No. I knew his list, so I pushed him into bad choices in setup phase, I deployed better. I lost not to the dice, not to the list. I lost due to my tactical mistakes.

That said, I stand by my initial statement that there is no imbalance in the game. I will admit, though, that 1.4FD turret is loosing a lot of value in games where the Imperials are comfortable staying far.

4 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

Incorrect, data has not been collected for the new units yet except by Invader League and despite excuses being made, it supports my argument so far.

Also the chances of winning are definitely not equal if one side has more opportunities if gaining victory tokens, but I see arguing with you is pointless.

There are many who see what I’m saying and we will see what future tournaments hold, but will you be willing to accept the results?

I for one am on your side as stands today it is not balanced but it not far off but the problem is balance is hard to obtain and i feel that adding more powerful units become a power creep and then we get point like x-wing 1.0 where game suffers and sucks .  So think the key is to have good maps that give cover and to think a few new objectives that will be more balanced play.  Also something that plays into the propaganda war that rebellion had to win,  to counter bounty, and Nurf dlt's or as they are crazy good.  entourage word need so causes as well.  

23 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

Incorrect, data has not been collected for the new units yet except by Invader League and despite excuses being made, it supports my argument so far.

Also the chances of winning are definitely not equal if one side has more opportunities if gaining victory tokens, but I see arguing with you is pointless.

There are many who see what I’m saying and we will see what future tournaments hold, but will you be willing to accept the results?

You're right, arguing is largely pointless, but we'll do it anyway.  This is the internet, after all.

Opportunities to win is a terrible point to argue.  For one, opportunities to win don't really matter if you don't have the ability to pull it off.  For instance, spamming cheap units give you more opportunities to score in Breakthrough, but it doesn't necessarily give you the ability.  I'm assuming you're complaining about bounties since that's the only way I know of to add victory tokens.  If anything, the advent of bounties is a counter to a typical Rebel hero spam army, and more a reaction to the Rebel's strengths than anything else.  Even with bounties, it's difficult to actually win with them because of the structure of bounty.

And for everyone that agrees with you, there have been several who have disagreed.  While balance isn't a popularity contest, opinion does matter.  What it boils down to is that is not a clear consensus, from the data nor the player base, that what you repeatedly argue is true.  What historical data we do have largely argues against it, though the Invader League seems to be a mixed bag.  I'm curious to see what future releases hold, but I'm willing to give it time to shake out.  Double bounties and the tank will likely be a craze for a while, but I'm confident that counters will be created to deal with them.

I want more balance to the force! Farm boy is in a strong place and the poor Vader is sadle on the box of most imperials...

The same happens with vader on imperial assault until they fix him via upgrade card. Expect something like that!

7 hours ago, naitsirk said:

I want more balance to the force! Farm boy is in a strong place and the poor Vader is sadle on the box of most imperials...

The same happens with vader on imperial assault until they fix him via upgrade card. Expect something like that!

Sorry about your Vader, but Luke is the only thing Rebels have going for them at the moment... 

... But wait!  Now you can put Vader in a tank and launch him across the table Round 1!

4 minutes ago, Aurelus said:

Sorry about your Vader, but Luke is the only thing Rebels have going for them at the moment... 

... But wait!  Now you can put Vader in a tank and launch him across the table Round 1!

I’m super big on doing wounds to 400 points of units at the same time. Please do this! 

3 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

If you don’t want a broken meta, don’t break the meta. 

You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

1 hour ago, Senjius said:

You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

What happens to water if I just take Veers, 3 e-webs, and 6 squads of snow troopers?