Sign in to follow this  
RStan

Hyena Article - Living Starfighters

Baktoid Prototype's ability works on themselves right? So they could equip barrage rockets, take a lock for an action, then ignore the focus requirement to launch them right? Using friendly calculates, the lock itself, and the brockets' own charges to guide them home. Sounds awesome. 

3 minutes ago, BrotherFett said:

Baktoid Prototype's ability works on themselves right? So they could equip barrage rockets, take a lock for an action, then ignore the focus requirement to launch them right? Using friendly calculates, the lock itself, and the brockets' own charges to guide them home. Sounds awesome. 

Yep.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Less without Ensnare. You might be forgetting that without that talent the downside to the ship ability can be pretty nasty, and the turret is only a 2 die. Against non tractored targets his pilot ability doesn't trigger iirc.

You are correct. His pilot ability will be great against small bases but basically blank against medium and large ships so that should help keep his price in check.

i still think the Nantex will end up with two talent slots like the A-wing. Ensnare will be stapled to them so I hope so at least just so there is some verity in the way you can run them.

Edited by Caduceus01
Added the last bit

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BrotherFett said:

yeah, I looked through some of those possibilities here:

1 hour ago, Caduceus01 said:

i still think the Nantex will end up with two talent slots like the A-wing. Ensnare will be stapled to them so I hope so at least just so there is some verity in the way you can run them.

Knowing FFG... there's another talent in the spread that looks like an alternative to Ensnare, and Ensnare itself is probably gonna be expensive. Dual talents would be cool, but seems unlikely.

What would you run? Ensnare, and...? Trick Shot, maybe.

Actually, they could be a good Treacherous platform, if that card is cheaper by then.

Edited by svelok

10 hours ago, BrotherFett said:

Or proton rockets, for that matter.

5 hours ago, svelok said:

Knowing FFG... there's another talent in the spread that looks like an alternative to Ensnare, and Ensnare itself is probably gonna be expensive. Dual talents would be cool, but seems unlikely.

Actually, they could be a good Treacherous platform, if that card is cheaper by then.

If I could, probably predator. With lots of repositioning and a high-initiative pilot, and bullseye-locked primary weapons (okay, it can fire off-bore but at -1 attack die), then bullseye-locked talents sound like a good idea, much as with soontir fel.

11 hours ago, BrotherFett said:

Yeah, that would make them the primary platform for Barrage Rockets! Leaving ESC for Vultures

It does mean they have to actually get close enough to lock, or use Passive Sensors to do it, at which point... why not use Concussions?  Brockets' main benefits are the ability to dumbfire them with focus, and the ability to mod them with their ability, both of which are obviated by the lock requirement.

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

It does mean they have to actually get close enough to lock, or use Passive Sensors to do it, at which point... why not use Concussions?  Brockets' main benefits are the ability to dumbfire them with focus, and the ability to mod them with their ability, both of which are obviated by the lock requirement.

Concussions expose damage cards and have 3 charges vs 5. Barrage can also get rerolls in bullseye. 

3 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

bullseye-locked primary weapons (okay, it can fire off-bore but at -1 attack die),

No no no... see, this thing is just a tractor-dishing machine to make your ESC Vulture Swarm even nastier 😜

40 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

Concussions expose damage cards and have 3 charges vs 5. Barrage can also get rerolls in bullseye. 

Yes.

If you're firing your barrages with a TL, the rerolls in bullseye are mostly irrelevant because you have a TL, and if you manage to get more than 3 shots out of a Hyena you've probably already won.

Posted (edited)

Theoretically, lining up a bullseye means not having to spend your target lock, which is nice for the following turn. Still, I agree that concussion missiles will mostly do the same job, better, for a point less.

I think most of the advantage of barrage rockets is around not having to play the target lock game on lower-initiative pilots, which Baktoid Prototypes do. Plus, probe droids can - to a degree  - duck the whole question by letting you lock before the engagement turn.

I think it's still nice for the option of proton rockets, though. You still need to line up the bullseye to fire, but roll/link/lock goes a long way there. And of course it's good future-proofing for any subsequent must-have focus-driven ordnance, so that it's still available in some fashion to a pure battle droid force.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

I am excited to fly the evil twins. 2 prototype vultures armed with clusters and 2 baked protatoes with barrage rockets. Having a slab of butter from butter bot or land'o lakes will be awesome. I'm sure there will be room for flavoring too!

11 hours ago, svelok said:

The expansion comes with 4 Talents so being able to equip multiples is a good bet. As to which to use that depends on the other unspoiled new one. It looks like some kind of defensive bonus either when you are tractored or when the attacker is. Snapshot Juke may be decent on the lower initiatives but ensnare trick shot  would probably be the go to for the higher uniques.

11 minutes ago, Caduceus01 said:

The expansion comes with 4 Talents so being able to equip multiples is a good bet. As to which to use that depends on the other unspoiled new one. It looks like some kind of defensive bonus either when you are tractored or when the attacker is. Snapshot Juke may be decent on the lower initiatives but ensnare trick shot  would probably be the go to for the higher uniques.

My guess from the spread was that the other talent gave Green dice rerolls for tractored enemyships nearby.

23 hours ago, dsul413 said:

I think 404 is going to be a lot of fun in the right list. He’s a setup man and good for hit and run - you’ll basically always lose the MOV, but it’ll be satisfying still. We are going to have to be careful with his turnarounds in a furball, because you really want his R0-1 shots modified so you don’t waste your hull. Maybe -32c will pair well with him to give him a target lock + network calculations for the swarm when he turns around in close and picks up a stress. 

Butterbot will be able to pass 404 a Calc token every round.   Don't forget that.

If all the Hyenas get a System slot, don't forget about super cheap Fire Control System.  It let's you re-roll one die per attack.

404 with Cluster Missiles, FCS, and some friends for Calc tokens is going to be brutal.  Two 4 die attacks with 1 re-roll and some more Calc tokens.

I have used a Vulture or two with Grapplers in a horde list to sit back and fire ESC's at the enemy, but I think a Hyena doing the same with Proton Torpedoes is going to be nastier.

17 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I don’t even remember his ability, I’m just thinking of I6 reposition->rotate->tractor.

Reduced agility doesn’t hurt if you’re out of arc.

What is sun fac's ability? can't make it out in the spread.

My main concern with the tractor array is that triggering pinpoint tractor array is that you get the tractor token to perform a 24?cb=20180905025237 action. Which means, if I understand it right, that to trigger the tractor you have to slew your mobile arc around, whether you want to or not, so if you want to use the tractor array you have to approach with your mobile arc not facing the enemy, weird as that sounds.

With both targeting computer and stealth device in the pack, I'm assuming a modification slot (one modification could just be used in a quick build, but if it has two surely that's unlikely), so theoretically this thing could pack afterburners as well. Manouvre-Pinpoint Tractor Array/Tractor Self-Afterburners-Ensnare/Tractor Enemy is some pretty ridiculous repositioning for a ship with neither boost or barrel roll native to its action bar.