Sign in to follow this  
RStan

Hyena Article - Living Starfighters

42 minutes ago, Okapi said:

I hope it's **** near free, but 2 points would be interesting. It only levels the playing field slightly; I doubt it'll make people decide paying for I5 just isn't worth it anymore. I doesn't do much for aces, and if it's too expensive won't see play on generics either. It does very little for E-Wings, Phantoms can't use it, so that leaves these:

• TIE Advanced x1: Never sees play, very well might with this upgrade, if it's cheap enough.
  • TIE Advanced v1: Sees a little play, but gets a lot out of FCS. If Passive Sensors cost more than 3 points, it'll stick with FCS.
  • TIE Defender: Barely sees play, and tends to focus anyway. Passive Sensors adds action flexibility, at a cost.
  • TIE Punisher: Never ever seen a generic Punisher hit the table. They need something, and this just might be it.
  • Lambda: Jendon doesn't need it, Sai doesn't want it. Maybe on the Omicron? Pretty low value though.
  • U-Wing: This would probably the be upgrade of choice on just about any U-Wing, and a potential reason why it could be expensive.
  • G1-A: Seems okay on this guy.
  • StarViper: Pretty decent here too.
  • Upsilon: Tends to coordinate, but Passive Sensors would provide a little more flexibility. Could see play on Thanisson.
  • TIE sf: Seems very good on all of them except QD (who wants FCS), but then again it's not like they're tearing up the meta. I can see 42 point PA/Conc Survivors being useful, but hardly OP.

No love for the Gunboat?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Okapi said:

I hope it's **** near free, but 2 points would be interesting. It only levels the playing field slightly; I doubt it'll make people decide paying for I5 just isn't worth it anymore. I doesn't do much for aces, and if it's too expensive won't see play on generics either. It does very little for E-Wings, Phantoms can't use it, so that leaves these:

• TIE Advanced x1: Never sees play, very well might with this upgrade, if it's cheap enough.
  • TIE Advanced v1: Sees a little play, but gets a lot out of FCS. If Passive Sensors cost more than 3 points, it'll stick with FCS.
  •  

I think you mixed up x1 and v1. You see Vader all the time. Maarek from time to time as well. I never see TAPs. 

PS, if cheap enough, will make a Tempest a nice filler piece. 

Edited by Jo Jo

7 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

I mostly want us to be able to use something that's not 5As, it's the best resistance list.

I want us to be forced to try alternatives.

There's nothing preventing trying out alternatives anyway - but I can say that because I don't really fly competitively.

26 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

I think you mixed up x1 and v1. You see Vader all the time. Maarek from time to time as well. I never see TAPs. 

He probably meant generics.

1 hour ago, Jo Jo said:

It will depend. Tempests at 38 points are perfectly priced to fit in a five-for points bracket with Fire Control System. Making Passive Sensors 3 points or more pushes them out of that bracket - it is a much, much better upgrade for a Tempest Squadron Pilot but I'm not sure if it's good enough to justify giving up an extra ship for, especially since losing fire control means you can't retain your lock turn-on-turn and get the benefit of the TIE/x1's natty-but-almost-impossible-to-actually-use-linked-focus/roll.

Maarek & Vader don't really need the help, though they're probably looking covetously at Diamond-Boron Missiles, offering the TIE/x1 a crowd control option it normally lacks.

10 hours ago, CardinalJester said:

Prediction for points cost for a Diamond-Boron missiles: [stuff] 4 points.

Concussion Missiles are pretty similar, but expose a card, rather than a 50% chance of damage.  I think DBM are a little better than Concussion Missiles. 7 points.  I don't particularly think being limited or double-slot warrants a price adjustment.  I see double-slot cards mostly as gatekeeping, a way to keep them off certain kinds of ships.

9 hours ago, CardinalJester said:

Plasma torpedo points prediction:[stuff] 7 points.

Again, I think the right comparison is Concussion Missiles.  Shield-removal is a lot better than an expose, I think.  But 2 charges is weaker. Again, I'll wind up at 7 points.

4 hours ago, Okapi said:

• TIE Defender: Barely sees play, and tends to focus anyway. Passive Sensors adds action flexibility, at a cost.
  • TIE Punisher: Never ever seen a generic Punisher hit the table. They need something, and this just might be it.
  • Lambda: Jendon doesn't need it, Sai doesn't want it. Maybe on the Omicron? Pretty low value though.
  • U-Wing: This would probably the be upgrade of choice on just about any U-Wing, and a potential reason why it could be expensive.
  • G1-A: Seems okay on this guy.
  • StarViper: Pretty decent here too.
  • Upsilon: Tends to coordinate, but Passive Sensors would provide a little more flexibility. Could see play on Thanisson.
  • TIE sf: Seems very good on all of them except QD (who wants FCS), but then again it's not like they're tearing up the meta. I can see 42 point PA/Conc Survivors being useful, but hardly OP.

You left out the scariest one: Starwings.  7 HP behind 2 green dice with Proton Torpedoes.  You can fly 4 of them, if Passive Sensors is 6 points or less.  There aren't useful interactions with Advanced SLAM or with OS-1, but this is basically Deadeye Harpoon Rhos from 1e.

42 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

Same here. Juking Torp carriers could be an issue if they are cheap enough. 

I'm not hugely concerned about torps with Juke, because of the initiative issue.

I'm concerned about swarms of 4 or 5 ships with Juke, focus, and Sinker for rerolls.

But honestly I just want Ric to be cheap enough to fit in with Anakin and Obi Wan in 7Bs so I can stupidly go play trip aces again.

15 hours ago, Managarmr said:

As on the comment above some 2 pages ago on Separatist overpowered. No, not overpowered, but FFG might need to put on a brake on the recent trend of lots-of-force and the share-5million-calculates (acceleretad by the Hyena pack shenanigans there are some serious shenanigans in this pack). That easily can get out of hand (e.g. Palob and Genesis have a problem now), those enormous token stacks started the creep in 1st ed, culminating in the stupidity of the counter Expertise.

50% of the time I lose a Vulture droid in a one shot kill and he still has his unused Calc token sitting next to him.  It's not that OP.

Diamond Boron will be good for those lists with agile aces, like against Jedi and V-19's.  Either that or just splash damage on those guys near each other.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Not to mention it is 1 dot. 

Honestly, it's probably a good idea

I mean they butchered the **** out of trajectory Sims (I believe due to utter overreaction to the real problem of Redline: cheap as **** high I Torps)

Better to have Borons limited than costed to oblivion

Plus, I think it's fine to avoid spamming missiles that'll single handedly wipe out TIE swarm viability. I obviously don't like fickle TIEs but they're like the second most iconic star wars ship (though I personally find it more iconic than the falcon because the unique sound they make defines the imperial pressence in space)

Long as Borons are costed fine due to being unique, they'll be a fine missile as even a 3.5 die attack (roll affects the original target, I believe) 

Only issue is Arcs can't carry the ******* thing 😑

Edited by ficklegreendice

5 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Only issue is Arcs can't carry the ******* thing

K-Wing, Os-1 Gunboat, TIE/Sa Bomber, TIE/Ca Punisher and the Baktoid Hyena are the only ships that can iirc (dual missile slot req). So Republic (atm, might change), Resistance, FO and S&V are **** outta luck on DBM (Which was a Black Sun weapon when it was first introduced... 😠).

7 hours ago, Okapi said:

Phantom can definitely use it, it basically adds a target lock action to the ship. All phantoms are going to LOVE being able to TL the turn the disengage, and they can still take a calc if they end up completely outmaneuvered by something they didn't see coming. It's gonna be really good on them if it's 2-3 points.

Generic Tie-SF are also gonna love this a whole bunch, because they can TL AND turn their arc when they engage, making it really hard to evade their arc.

28 minutes ago, DarthSempai said:

Generic Tie-SF are also gonna love this a whole bunch, because they can TL AND turn their arc when they engage, making it really hard to evade their arc.

Does PS say "acquire a Lock" or "perform a Lock action"? In the former case they won't be able to link off of it unlike the latter case.

54 minutes ago, DarthSempai said:

Also making a well-timed double-tap very much more likely.

29 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Does PS say "acquire a Lock" or "perform a Lock action"? In the former case they won't be able to link off of it unlike the latter case.

calculate action or TL action

3 minutes ago, Boreas Mun said:

calculate action or TL action

K. Looking forwards to the N1 info article (was also in it's spread in the Wave 4 preview article). Beats trying to google-foo things. :)

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

K-Wing, Os-1 Gunboat, TIE/Sa Bomber, TIE/Ca Punisher and the Baktoid Hyena are the only ships that can iirc (dual missile slot req). So Republic (atm, might change), Resistance, FO and S&V are **** outta luck on DBM (Which was a Black Sun weapon when it was first introduced... 😠).

Well the TIE/ag can also take them, but there is no reason to ever fly those, so it's understandable that you forgot them.  FFG forgot about them too.

Edited by HolySorcerer

I like Kestal :( Makes Jedi look like chumps!

jesus she's only 48 points now!

Lieutenant Kestal (36)    
    Ruthless (1)    
    Ion Cannon Turret (4)    
    Barrage Rockets (7)    

Ship total: 48  Half Points: 24  Threshold: 3    

almost tempted to actually throw fifth bro on her!

2 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

I like Kestal :( Makes Jedi look like chumps!

jesus she's only 48 points now!

Lieutenant Kestal (36)    
    Ruthless (1)    
    Ion Cannon Turret (4)    
    Barrage Rockets (7)    

Ship total: 48  Half Points: 24  Threshold: 3    

almost tempted to actually throw fifth bro on her!

We are in desperate need of usable gunners, especially after the phantom nerf.  :(