Sign in to follow this  
RStan

Hyena Article - Living Starfighters

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Even Scum has gotten (...) MG TIE as new, post 2.0 material. 

Which were royally screwed over by the release of the gas clouds, and FFG's inability to write rules and inability to answer rules questions (the non working Yushyn-Proach (or Quinn Jast or other reloads) interaction, still NO answer after months). -> so apart from maybe Seevor, MGTs are already out, respevctively the 2 pilots never got a chance.

And while they got 2.5 new ships, neither they have any access to the new generic stuff (and Scum as a faction does absolutely not fare well competetively right now in both formats, while the other 2 do).

So Revels and Empire even less new, but ALL 3 original factions eagerly await card packs.

As on the comment above some 2 pages ago on Separatist overpowered. No, not overpowered, but FFG might need to put on a brake on the recent trend of lots-of-force and the share-5million-calculates (acceleretad by the Hyena pack shenanigans there are some serious shenanigans in this pack). That easily can get out of hand (e.g. Palob and Genesis have a problem now), those enormous token stacks started the creep in 1st ed, culminating in the stupidity of the counter Expertise.

Edited by Managarmr
Spelling

Posted (edited)

nah, token stacks are only an issue when they cannot be denied

there aren't any mod stacking without a.) actions, b.) very specific conditions such as having banked a calc (kraken) or having died while having calculate (new guy)

plus there's currently no way to (effectively) toss evade tokens atop these guys (reason why the purple evade was invented!)

Palob, much as I love the guy, had a VERY easy action-independent condition to fulfill (oh hey, tokens in my arcs at r 1-2 YOINK!) which also denied opponent mods and he ALSO has access to evades (debris gambit!). And that's atop the moldy crow bank

Edited by ficklegreendice

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

Eh?

What do you mean by alt actions?

Otherwise, I do agree that new the factions have cooler, shinier mechanics. That's just par for the course since they're designed entirely for second Ed instead of having been ported over from 1st Ed.

We are, however, getting cool new mechanics through the (imo, game changing) passive sensors and delayed fuses upgrades. Plus we're getting interesting ordnance like Diamond Borons.

And we already have some of the coolest pilots/abilities in the game (phantoms though crazy are also crazy fun; empire generally unmatched in the realm of cool ship abilities + movement shenanigans)

The only other bone C. SET players should expect are those goddang card packs we were promised 

(Edit: right and scum keeps getting badass paint schemes while the empire remains...standard

Guess that's just canonical, though)

Eh, more of our ships should have had abilities, and we should have gotten generics with pilot abilities as well.  If you're a member of Black or Saber squadron you are a cut above the rest, giving top end generic pilots a small ability would have given the Empire a much stronger faction identity and would have made sense for a trained military organization.

Passive Sensors and Delayed fuses might be okay, but we have no idea what the costs are, and if I had to guess it would be that they overpriced them.

Phantoms are fun, but it bothers me way too much that I can't fly 4 juke phantoms any more.  I bought a fourth Phantom to fly that list, which while strong, was in no way broken, and now it's dead.

Diamond Borons might be okayish if they're cheap, but why do they insist on making ordnance unique?  I'm not taking one bomber in a list, I'm taking a flight of them, and I want the same loadout on all of them.

Prediction for points cost for a Diamond-Boron missiles:

barrage rockets = 7 points - 2 points (need lock) - 2 points (3 charges, can be used 1.5 times)  + 2 points (AoE is much better than bullseye reroll) - 1 point for new card purchase incentive = 4 points. 

I think 2 points less than concussion will actually get them on the table. (And 1 point less than concussion missiles future cost). 

Just now, CardinalJester said:

Prediction for points cost for a Diamond-Boron missiles:

barrage rockets = 7 points - 2 points (need lock) - 2 points (3 charges, can be used 1.5 times)  + 2 points (AoE is much better than bullseye reroll) - 1 point for new card purchase incentive = 4 points. 

I think 2 points less than concussion will actually get them on the table. (And 1 point less than concussion missiles future cost). 

Don’t forget that it has a single pip beside its name; there can only be one.

2 minutes ago, Innese said:

Don’t forget that it has a single pip beside its name; there can only be one.

Would that make it more or less costly?  It lowers the risk of being spammed if costed too low, but it might make it something for a high I carrier...which doesn’t exist yet. 

I think the three charges really hurts it.  I’d like this a lot better at 4 charges. 

12 minutes ago, CardinalJester said:

Would that make it more or less costly?  It lowers the risk of being spammed if costed too low, but it might make it something for a high I carrier...which doesn’t exist yet. 

I think the three charges really hurts it.  I’d like this a lot better at 4 charges. 

All I know is that Quinn Jast is trying desperately to hack the app and give himself a 2nd missile slot.

28 minutes ago, CardinalJester said:

Limited should lower cost because as you say, it can't be spammed.

Also, I think 3 charges is fine... you're probably going to miss with one attack anyway unless everything on the other side of the table is 1 agility.  That plus reload = 2+ shots most games.

Plasma torpedo points prediction:

Proton Torpedoes = 12 points - 7 points for 3 dice - 1 point for no crit added -1 point for crits before hits + 4 points for shield removal before damage (how often will you have a shielded target as your target priority?  Otherwise it is strictly worse than primaries at range 2 and slightly better at range 3 <no crits>) = 7 points. 

I figure I'm happy when I get both my proton torps off, and with these, I’ll be passing up shots with these not infrequently. 

13 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Diamond Boron is going to MURDER 5As.

I'm so happy.

Is it though?  Like I understand it looks good against it, but 5A can keep ships away from each other, and one splash per game isn't a ton (especially when the damage isn't guaranteed).  Also, it has to hit first, which isn't guaranteed.  Its good against 5A, but it isn't a hard counter.

1 minute ago, Do I need a Username said:

Is it though?  Like I understand it looks good against it, but 5A can keep ships away from each other, and one splash per game isn't a ton (especially when the damage isn't guaranteed).  Also, it has to hit first, which isn't guaranteed.  Its good against 5A, but it isn't a hard counter.

A bunch of them is though.

6 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

Need a price drop on trajectory sims and proton bombs.  Sort those rebel terrorists out real quick.

I mostly want us to be able to use something that's not 5As, it's the best resistance list.

I want us to be forced to try alternatives.

1 minute ago, Captain Lackwit said:

I mostly want us to be able to use something that's not 5As, it's the best resistance list.

I want us to be forced to try alternatives.

+5 points for each pilot

A-wings were only ever one thing, a missile lock warning and then a tiny explosion when they pop. 

Just now, Blail Blerg said:

Is anyone else lamenting that vultures and hyenas don't have turning wings for standing? 

I was until I saw how tiny they were. There isn't a whole lot if room for any kind of mechanism for rotation, never mind letting the legs/wings scissor open. Had the models been scaled up a bit, sure they could have done st least the rotation, but then had backlash of the scale being incorrect. 

So I now have two of the three parts of my large ship tear-down combo from 1e: Plasma Torps to strip most/all the shields, Proton Torps to push a crit. Unfortunately Boba crew is no longer the absolute glory fest it was in 1e. What am I supposed to do without that meme?

Jokes aside, I've got three Hyenas on order and I'm honestly tempted to make that five...

1 hour ago, HolySorcerer said:

+5 points for each pilot

A-wings were only ever one thing, a missile lock warning and then a tiny explosion when they pop. 

I don't think I agree with that assessment on what A-Wings are.

But definitely a price increase in some form. Except perhaps the generics. Resistance needs viable filler quite badly. Everybody else has some.

2 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

I was until I saw how tiny they were. There isn't a whole lot if room for any kind of mechanism for rotation, never mind letting the legs/wings scissor open. Had the models been scaled up a bit, sure they could have done st least the rotation, but then had backlash of the scale being incorrect. 

We thought Xwing could never have articulating wings. But FFG showed me the world, shining, shimmering splendorrrrrr

18 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Meh gotta pay for it probably

Dunno how much; can't imagine it's too cheap

I hope it's **** near free, but 2 points would be interesting. It only levels the playing field slightly; I doubt it'll make people decide paying for I5 just isn't worth it anymore. I doesn't do much for aces, and if it's too expensive won't see play on generics either. It does very little for E-Wings, Phantoms can't use it, so that leaves these:

• TIE Advanced x1: Never sees play, very well might with this upgrade, if it's cheap enough.
  • TIE Advanced v1: Sees a little play, but gets a lot out of FCS. If Passive Sensors cost more than 3 points, it'll stick with FCS.
  • TIE Defender: Barely sees play, and tends to focus anyway. Passive Sensors adds action flexibility, at a cost.
  • TIE Punisher: Never ever seen a generic Punisher hit the table. They need something, and this just might be it.
  • Lambda: Jendon doesn't need it, Sai doesn't want it. Maybe on the Omicron? Pretty low value though.
  • U-Wing: This would probably the be upgrade of choice on just about any U-Wing, and a potential reason why it could be expensive.
  • G1-A: Seems okay on this guy.
  • StarViper: Pretty decent here too.
  • Upsilon: Tends to coordinate, but Passive Sensors would provide a little more flexibility. Could see play on Thanisson.
  • TIE sf: Seems very good on all of them except QD (who wants FCS), but then again it's not like they're tearing up the meta. I can see 42 point PA/Conc Survivors being useful, but hardly OP.