Sign in to follow this  
RStan

Hyena Article - Living Starfighters

4 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Important question time: How many are you/should-we-be getting?

Definitely 1, maybe 2? I don't think I'm going to be that interested in running 3-4 as a super swarm. Also are these medium base? $30 a pop? yikes. If $20 a pop as small bases, might consider 4. 

Yeah I think 2 for me. Cuz these look really fun. 

They’re small base (Or at least I assume so since they’re listed as $20) so I’ll probably get 3-4, maaaaaybe 5 depending on points.

23 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Important question time: How many are you/should-we-be getting?

Definitely 1, maybe 2? I don't think I'm going to be that interested in running 3-4 as a super swarm. Also are these medium base? $30 a pop? yikes. If $20 a pop as small bases, might consider 4. 

I have a thing for Bombers.  Since they are small base, I was thinking 4.  That way I'll be set with 8 Vultures, 2 Buicks, and 4 Hyenas.  Should be great for some epic fun.

22 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

One thing to be wary of is that these are basically torrents. (and both Hyenas and Torrents will get better missiles). So chassis alone should only be 25 points. Perhaps with added abilities, up to 28. We already know that excepting certain slots where the upgrades are undercosted (like 1.0 sensors) , empty slots are worth 0 points. So only ability, and actions and networked come into play for costing. 

I'm a bit confused by the first part of this statement. At least some of the Hyena's will be able to take the diamond-boron missiles but Torrent's only have a single missile slot. Not that I would at all complain if Torrents got a second slot or there's some as of yet unannounced missile goodness out there.

2 minutes ago, Pa Weasley said:

I'm a bit confused by the first part of this statement. At least some of the Hyena's will be able to take the diamond-boron missiles but Torrent's only have a single missile slot. Not that I would at all complain if Torrents got a second slot or there's some as of yet unannounced missile goodness out there.

Of course they're not quite the same, but I'm talking about the raw mathematical durability/longetivity. which is generally formulaic as @MajorJuggler seemed to imply. (If I understand what he said right). Has a lot to do with the hull and the focus/calc mechanics. 

Basically, you can have cool abilities, but if your defense is a wet noodle, in average it brings down the value you can get out of the ship. Magic hands requirement gets higher and higher. 

3 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Okay, no longer as worried on this one as I was previously. 2.0 assault missiles with a quirky mechanic. :)

swz41_diamond-boron-missiles.png

Yeah I am not impressed by this. It is like they are trying to make better missiles but are still too timid that they release Harpoon 2.0.

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

oh derp this thing can launch mines

swz41_hyena-class-bomber.png

I may be in love (havn't tried buzzdroids, though...maybe they're just better than launched proxies?)

I'm assuming (but obv dont know) that bombardments don't have ordnance while the double missile guys can derp around with buzzdroids AND shells (or other missile), so that'll be a decision to make

Can confirm, Constable Zuvio’s pretty fun.  So his robot triplet clones should be fun as well.

I will probably get two of them. I assume same roll as TIE Bombers. So two with barrage or boron missiles for 37pts, Maul or Dooku, plus Sun Fau or whatever the i6 guy is in the next wave should be a pretty decent squad similar to Vader Soonts two Tie Bombers.

Hyena + Boron or Barrage (37)

Hyena + Boron or Barrage (37)

Count Dooku (61)
Hate (3)
DRK-1 Probe Droids (6)
Scimitar (4)
Total: 148

Points Left: 52

I think the Torrent and Z will finally get a bit more interesting now. Though idk if missile spam is gonna be that great or fun. Already, also, been there done that. As a two trick pony the Zs and Torrents just aren't that interesting. 

The torrents shoulda had more supportive abilities. 

2 minutes ago, wurms said:

I will probably get two of them. I assume same roll as TIE Bombers. So two with barrage or boron missiles for 37pts, Maul or Dooku, plus Sun Fau or whatever the i6 guy is in the next wave should be a pretty decent squad similar to Vader Soonts two Tie Bombers.

Count Dooku (61)
Hate (3)
DRK-1 Probe Droids (6)
Scimitar (4)

I've not heard of Vader Soontir 2 bombers being a good squad. 

Side note, I'm kind of happy how little the Seps and Rep have tread on Imperial play styles, its nice. If I want a true 3die defense ace, I have to go for Soontir or Vader. Not Anakin, who's usually a glass cannon under fire with that 2 agility. 

1 minute ago, Blail Blerg said:

I've not heard of Vader Soontir 2 bombers being a good squad. 

Side note, I'm kind of happy how little the Seps and Rep have tread on Imperial play styles, its nice. If I want a true 3die defense ace, I have to go for Soontir or Vader. Not Anakin, who's usually a glass cannon under fire with that 2 agility. 

Didn't Nathan Eide just win an event with Vader + Fel + 2x bombers?

3 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

Didn't Nathan Eide just win an event with Vader + Fel + 2x bombers?

I appreciate it if you tell me. I may be out of the loop. 

Also what do ppl like about this list? vs say other Vader Soontir variants (shuttle say, or reaper) 

20 minutes ago, wurms said:

Count Dooku (61)
Hate (3)
DRK-1 Probe Droids (6)
Scimitar (4)

Diamond Boron Missiles are 1 pip.

10 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

I appreciate it if you tell me. I may be out of the loop. 

Also what do ppl like about this list? vs say other Vader Soontir variants (shuttle say, or reaper) 

Gold Squadron's YouTube has the recording up.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

Yeah I am not impressed by this. It is like they are trying to make better missiles but are still too timid that they release Harpoon 2.0.

If they price them like concussions, I’ll definitely try them out. There’s even a chance this could be decent on Redline. 

Alternatively, if plasma torps are in the range of 10 points, you might be able to replace the proton torps in Hatchetman Vynder with Plasmas and Diamond-Borons. Net win because you get more charges. 

Edited by PaulRuddSays

14 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

If they price them like concussions, I’ll definitely try them out. There’s even a chance this could be decent on Redline. 

Redline's ability is great, but I wonder why generic Punishers don't see more play? Is it the difficulty of range control + getting the locks?

3 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Redline's ability is great, but I wonder why generic Punishers don't see more play? Is it the difficulty of range control + getting the locks?

It's because Bombers are more efficient Barrage Rocket carriers, basically.

4 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

My take is that high ship counts make blocking medium bases too easy unless your ability helps you alpha an enemy ship off early. 

3 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Once again the case for a single missile slot on the bomber. I want it to be a cheap bomber platform that excels at bombing, but alas, it keeps getting priced up for the boring-as-anything barrage rockets.

I don't dislike barrage rockets per se, but that's really not what I want on my bombers. Sucks that I have to pay for something I never use. :(

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

honestly, expect them to rerelease ALL the conversion kit ships before we get to new ships

I mean, just think about the size of the Resistance/FO/Republic/CIS factions relative to the original 3...they got a while to go

also, there are plenty of faction-neutral goodies in here!

Despite the faction-neutral goodies, where Rebs and Imps are falling behind is the creative efforts like pilots with alt actions, limited ships, and all the other new ideas that are being pumped into PT factions.

They really need to find a way to throw people who converted those 2 factions a bone.  Even Scum has gotten Lando's Falcon and MG TIE as new, post 2.0 material. 

Edited by Darth Meanie

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Despite the faction-neutral goodies, where Rebs and Imps are falling behind is the creative efforts like pilots with alt actions, limited ships, and all the other new ideas that are being pumped into PT factions.

They really need to find a way to throw people who converted the Big 3 a bone.

Eh?

What do you mean by alt actions?

Otherwise, I do agree that new the factions have cooler, shinier mechanics. That's just par for the course since they're designed entirely for second Ed instead of having been ported over from 1st Ed.

We are, however, getting cool new mechanics through the (imo, game changing) passive sensors and delayed fuses upgrades. Plus we're getting interesting ordnance like Diamond Borons.

And we already have some of the coolest pilots/abilities in the game (phantoms though crazy are also crazy fun; empire generally unmatched in the realm of cool ship abilities + movement shenanigans)

The only other bone C. SET players should expect are those goddang card packs we were promised 

(Edit: right and scum keeps getting badass paint schemes while the empire remains...standard

Guess that's just canonical, though)

Edited by ficklegreendice