Sign in to follow this  
RStan

Hyena Article - Living Starfighters

40 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

It also has a dual missile slot req... Scum got ****** out of another one...

Which is strange, given that the Diamond-Boron Missile was first conceived of for a Scum (specifically Black Sun) ship. 

Granted, it was a freighter the size of a corvette not a fighter that fired it, but still. 

I'm very happy to see it in the game as another nod to Shadows of the Empire, and I like that (appropriately enough) it would absolutely wreck a Y-Wing formation, but it's a bit sad not even the Scurgg can take it. 

2 minutes ago, kris40k said:

Not a rules mistake, but putting the bomblet generator on a ship with no native shields seems like an odd decision. 

The electron bomb is shown with range1 only, which is not technically a mistake but drastically undersells the range

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, kris40k said:

Not a rules mistake, but putting the bomblet generator on a ship with no native shields seems like an odd decision. 

Dookcrew?

specifies attack or defense dice, but not when attacking or defending

" When this device detonates, each ship and remote at range 0-1 rolls 2 attack dice. Each ship and remote suffers 1 Icon damage hit damage for each Icon damage hit / Icon damage crit result. "

so the ship DOES roll, rather than the "player", making it eligible (I think?) for dookcrew

Dunno what the odds are of getting extra damage over a proton bomb are...

Edited by ficklegreendice

Posted (edited)

oh derp this thing can launch mines

swz41_hyena-class-bomber.png

I may be in love (havn't tried buzzdroids, though...maybe they're just better than launched proxies?)

I'm assuming (but obv dont know) that bombardments don't have ordnance while the double missile guys can derp around with buzzdroids AND shells (or other missile), so that'll be a decision to make

Edited by ficklegreendice

7 minutes ago, Vector Strike said:

It has Reload, so that's not that big.

True, but I had always seen that the main advantage or reason to take the Bomblet Gen was because you could reload without using the reload action. Otherwise, why not take another bomb like a Proton Bomb? Fickle mentions using Dooku on it, but /shrug

3 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

oh derp this thing can launch mines

swz41_hyena-class-bomber.png

I may be in love (havn't tried buzzdroids, though...maybe they're just better than launched proxies?)

As mentioned above, launch prox mine with fuse, fly through it, then (higher init) enemy ship comes in & gets smoked. Prox mines are nastier than buzz droids but IMO harder to land (until now?)

1 minute ago, HolySorcerer said:

One of these days FFG is going to screw up and release some new content for the Imperials and rebels. Sadly, today is not that day. 

honestly, expect them to rerelease ALL the conversion kit ships before we get to new ships

I mean, just think about the size of the Resistance/FO/Republic/CIS factions relative to the original 3...they got a while to go

also, there are plenty of faction-neutral goodies in here!

1 minute ago, ficklegreendice said:

honestly, expect them to rerelease ALL the conversion kit ships before we get to new ships

I mean, just think about the size of the Resistance/FO/Republic/CIS factions relative to the original 3...they got a while to go

I'm of the same opinion. Just like in Legion, the new factions have to catch up to the old ones. Rebels, Imperials and Scum each have more than 30 ships already...

Just now, ficklegreendice said:

Yeah, I’m expecting zero content for a year or two, which has honestly really killed my interest in playing. 

I’m not buying out of faction junk to get upgrade cards anymore. I’ve just stopped buying completely. 

Just now, HolySorcerer said:

Yeah, I’m expecting zero content for a year or two, which has honestly really killed my interest in playing. 

I’m not buying out of faction junk to get upgrade cards anymore. I’ve just stopped buying completely. 

perfectly viable way to go amount things imo

though honestly, if you're not competing at sanctioned events there's no reason to not just print out proxies and keep playing that way

Just now, ficklegreendice said:

perfectly viable way to go amount things imo

though honestly, if you're not competing at sanctioned events there's no reason to not just print out proxies and keep playing that way

I don't have issues with proxies at all, as I'm not really a competitive player, I'm just disappointed that the conversion packs were fairly bare bones port jobs, and we've received nothing since then. 

The new mechanics and designs that they're giving the new stuff is just adding insult to injury at this point.  I know I'm in the minority on this, but the game was better at 3 factions than it is at 7.

58 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

Changing actions based on pilot seems like even more of a shakeup, but I suppose there's already precedence with droid pilots getting calculate instead of focus. Honestly, I don't see how it makes sense on any ship with organic pilots - the instance here is clearly a case of this specific droid being built with a specific function (a command and control unit). Other ships aren't ever as unique in quite the same way, outside of specific named versions which is already covered by the title slot.

Purple evade or boost for Vader when now?

Or putting him in a Defender and purpling some of his Actions?

I wish. But he's in a good place though, so I can't complain.

58 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Launching a Proximity Mine, then K-turning over it with a Bombardment Droid looks it would be a lot of fun.

FTFY

19 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Also, there are plenty of faction-neutral goodies in here!

When are they going to come out with those stinking card packs?

Seriously, as a Rebel/Imp main (almost exclusive) I'm about to be 3 waves behind.

I literally want to give them money, and it's a very high ROI product. I don't have a problem with proxies, but I prefer the feel of real cards, plus the sense of ownership.

New pilots, upgrades, and configs wouldn't go amiss either. Desperately hoping for an early surprise-release. It's just so sad seeing all these reprints that I don't need and new content that I can't get.

1 hour ago, Vector Strike said:

It has Reload, so that's not that big.

Furthermore, it will be even cheaper than the TIE bomber. You can afford to spam the bomb on yourself. But you wouldn't want to take the more common nasty bomb (proton) for Kamikaze strats because those conditions are nasty for nearly every chassis.

6 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

Furthermore, it will be even cheaper than the TIE bomber. You can afford to spam the bomb on yourself. But you wouldn't want to take the more common nasty bomb (proton) for Kamikaze strats because those conditions are nasty for nearly every chassis.

Eh, I'm not so sure about that. The dial is in some ways better, and networked calculations is about as good as the focus action if not better since it lets you get more locks and still have focus-modding when you need it most. There is less hull though, and no Nimble Bomber ability, so you could be right.

Important question time: How many are you/should-we-be getting?

Definitely 1, maybe 2? I don't think I'm going to be that interested in running 3-4 as a super swarm. Also are these medium base? $30 a pop? yikes. If $20 a pop as small bases, might consider 4. 

Yeah I think 2 for me. Cuz these look really fun. 

One thing to be wary of is that these are basically torrents. (and both Hyenas and Torrents will get better missiles). So chassis alone should only be 25 points. Perhaps with added abilities, up to 28. We already know that excepting certain slots where the upgrades are undercosted (like 1.0 sensors) , empty slots are worth 0 points. So only ability, and actions and networked come into play for costing.