Sign in to follow this  
Ambigatos

Color Equivalents Needed

Looking to get my feet wet in painting. If I go with Citadel ( or something else? ), can someone tell me which of their colors would be good for....

- Mining Guild Yellow

- Partisan Renegade Black

- Royal Guard Tie Red

- Slave 1 orange-ish engine glow

Thanks

I've been using Citadel paints, and I've been using Abbadon Black for the black, a very watered down Nuln oil (about 2 parts water for 1 part paint) for shade over a Ceremite White base for the light grey (for the partisan renegade colors), and Mephiston Red for the Royal Guard. Haven't painted scum yet but for engine glow, it's good to get a bright color like Troll Slayer Orange, and then drybrush with Ceremite White or Corax White at the center and lightly blend out to the edges of each circular engine.

3 hours ago, Juunon said:

I've been using Citadel paints, and I've been using Abbadon Black for the black, a very watered down Nuln oil (about 2 parts water for 1 part paint) for shade over a Ceremite White base for the light grey (for the partisan renegade colors), and Mephiston Red for the Royal Guard. Haven't painted scum yet but for engine glow, it's good to get a bright color like Troll Slayer Orange, and then drybrush with Ceremite White or Corax White at the center and lightly blend out to the edges of each circular engine.

Thank you, that's a great help. I'm intending to start lite with some weathering and engine glow for some rebel freighters. I managed to find the colors for that from some youtube searches. I think I'm gonna' go with Citadel nuln oil and louthern blue with white dry brush for that. I was just trying to think ahead in case it works out and I get addicted haha. Since I'm already starting with Citadel paints, I'm going to go with your suggestions. I was sort of at a loss for those other colors I had in question, so that's very helpful. Much appreciated.

Posted (edited)

Indeed, maybe you should go white with blue drybrush for the engines. Keep on mind that at engines, the deepest part is the hotest and brighterst one. Slave I is the exception due to its engines inversed shape. The usual cilinder-like engines are white at the deep and coloured at the exterior. 

On the YT freighters drybrush maybe isn't the best way. It should work better layer after layer of watered down blue, each layer brighter and narrower than previous one. 

Edited by Minaith