Posted (edited)

if I have the baze crew with the jyn crew can I get unlimited evades? step:1 focus-step:2 baze to gain an evade-step:3 repeat step:2 once for each ship at range 0-1

baze- While you perform a action, you may treat it as red. If you do, gain 1 additional focus token for each enemy ship at range 0-1, to a maximum of 2.

jyn- If a friendly ship at range 0-3 would gain a focus token, it may gain 1 evade token instead.

I never actually gain the focus I just gain an evade so can I get unlimited… would this work?

Edited by bobafett1228

I can't see how this would give you "unlimited" tokens. Baze doesn't say "gain additional focus tokens until you have X number of focus tokens" - he doesn't care how many you ultimately end up with. 

I think the sequence is more like this:

1. Declare you're doing a red focus action per Baze's ability
  2. Count number of enemy ships at range 0-1. If there are more then 2, treat it as 2 (because of the maximum on Baze).
  3. You would normally gain 1 + that number of focus tokens.
  4. Instead change one to an evade with Jyn.

I don't think you can actually change more than one because of the "once per opportunity" rule - since you're gaining all the focuses from the same action I would assume it counts as a single trigger for Jyn, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Baze_Malbus_Crew.png

Jyn_Erso_Crew.png

you mean the gaining of a focus never occured, since jyn replaces the effect and baze would let you keep gaining focus until two additional focus tokens have been gained,@bobafett1228 ?

if you have jyn and baze equipped to a ship and that ship performs a focus action, you can use bazes ability to treat that action as red, gaining you additinal focus tokens for every enemy ship as range 0-1, to a maximum of two additinal focus tokens (at least, that's the way i read the card).

these tokens are all from the same trigger, the gaining of a focus token from performing a focus action. they are simply additional tokens gained. they are not gained one at a time, they are all gained simultaneously. (at least currently, there is no indication tokens are gained one at a time, unless stated otherwise, such as ion or tractor tokens from an ion cannon or tractor beam, since those are tokens assigned instead of damage being dealt - and damage is always dealt one at a time.)

jyn erso is a replacement effect. if a ship within range 0-3 would gain a focus token, it may gain an evade token instead. this is limited by a rule called once per opportunity, found on page two of the rules reference, under "Card Interpretation".

this means that jyn ersos effect can only be used once every time a ship gains a focus token, or in this case several focus tokens, since they are gained at the same time.

it also means bazes effect can only be applied once to the same focus action. it can't grow based on you gaining other tokens after you've already determined how many additional tokens you would gain.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Ysenhal said:

I don't think you can actually change more than one because of the "once per opportunity" rule - since you're gaining all the focuses from the same action I would assume it counts as a single trigger for Jyn, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

This is i think still in debate. The question in focus being "When you gain multiple tokens, do you gain them all at once, or one at a time?". In 1E, you gained them one at a time, but it hasn't been super clarified in 2E yet.

I'm of the stance that each token is still gained one at a time because of the outline on RR pg 19

When a ship is instructed to gain a token, a token from the supply is placed in the play area next to the ship.

This, at least to me, seems to point toward how you would gain a single token. Presumably repeating this step for multiple tokens.

But, others also take the stance that they are all gained in one lump hit, so you are not gaining a single token, you are gaining 3 tokens (or whatever the number is). But that would mean (for this example) Jyn wouldn't work on Any of them because shes only looking for "a" token.

Either way, i don't believe an ability like hers can affect only a single token from a group. She either affects all of them, or none of them.... given the wording of "a token".

Sorry meffo, but i don't agree with your interpretation. As I said though. From what ive seen, its still being debated.

Edited by Lyianx

@Lyianx - it's good that you don't agree. that's why these forums are here, so we can exchange interpretations.

there are some effects that instruct you to gain more than one token at a time in the game currently. admiral sloane, panicked pilot and spacetug tractor array. there are also some effects that instruct you to gain additional tokens, baze malbus being one of them.

there are also effects that let you gain more tokens but clearly have a different timing, such as perceptive copilot and advanced droid brain.

there is nothing in the game currently indicating that effects such as admiral sloanes or panicked pilots would let you assign tokens one at a time. they are singular effects and should be resolved as they are written rather than in which ever way a certain player prefers or in a way that some people are used to from first edition.

if your only reason for claiming tokens should always be assigned one at a time is this:

"When a ship is instructed to gain a token, a token from the supply is placed in the play area next to the ship."

- you basically have no argument, since that piece of text can easily be interpreted to mean the opposite of what you're claiming as well, when it comes to two or more tokens. for example:

"When a ship is instructed to gain ten million tokens, ten million tokens from the supply is placed in the play area next to the ship."

assuming, of course, a ship was instructed to gain ten million tokens rather than just a token.

your presumption that you should repeat the step of gaining a token has no basis in the rules what so ever. much like the claim that tokens are asigned one at a time.

also, several tokens gained would still check all the boxes for jyn ersos ability. even if you would have just gained ten million tokens, you would also have gained a token. as once per opportunity always applies, jyn erso can trigger once each time a focus token is gained.

i've been part of this debate for quite some time in different places, but i thank you for once again bringing it to my attention.

i would also like to bring your attention to the OPs question. in your opinion, it seems to me like this combo works. you really think it does and should?

Soooo, you are stating that if you would gain e.g. 3 focus tokens - and you 'Jyn' – you gain ONE evade token instead of the THREE focus tokens??

I'd play it that if you would get 365 focus token you can choose to get... 100 focus tokens and 265 Evade tokens. 

??

1 hour ago, Tellonius said:

Soooo, you are stating that if you would gain e.g. 3 focus tokens - and you 'Jyn' – you gain ONE evade token instead of the THREE focus tokens??

I'd play it that if you would get 365 focus token you can choose to get... 100 focus tokens and 265 Evade tokens. 

??

no. jyns "you may gain 1 evade token" is a replacement effect happening instead of gaining a focus token.

so, if you gain 365 focus tokens, you could instead gain 364 focus tokens and 1 evade token, because of the once per opportunity rule.

that's assuming the tokens are gained from the same effect, such as a focus action. if they're gained one at a time from individual effects (such as the second token gained after you perform a focus action with perceptive copilot, rather than the additional tokens gained from baze), you could use jyn ersos effect on every focus gained, meaning you could get 365 evades instead.

that's not what baze says, though.

Another way to get to a cap on the tokens is to view Baze as not counting a cap on extra focus tokens, but a cap on valid enemy ships.  If Baze's ability only sees two ships at 0-1, then he'll hand out three tokens.

Frankly, I don't see any reason why Baze's cap shouldn't be applied to the number of ships, rather than the number of tokens.  It doesn't say "to a maximum of 2 tokens," and the last item counted in the card were the ships.