Bertie Wooster

Best carrying case?

Posted (edited)

What's a good carrying case / storage option for storing all your Armada expansions? I'm looking into getting one. Currently I just keep stuff in the original box, but I want something with compartments.

Doesn't need to be specialized for Armada (like those expensive pre-cut foam things I've seen), but I'd like for it to fit the squads and ships, rulers and tokens and all that.

Edited by Bertie Wooster

Posted (edited)

I had a cheap, plastic toolbox laying around, that I no longer kept tools in. It's worked great. Compartments in the lid hold dials and tokens and dice and cards. A lift-out tray holds rulers and squadrons. The volume of the toolbox holds my ships. I put some bubble wrap in the box to give a little cushion for the ships.

If I were buying anew (or if I need more space than my current toolbox has) I'd buy into the Stanley toolboxes recommended here on the forum

Edited by ShoutingMan

On 5/11/2019 at 11:59 PM, Sev06 said:

A long time ago, I made the wise decision to allocate my source for more ships rather than storage and transportation.

years later I have great fleets on both side but I have to keep them in their original boxes which means I have to go to games with a giant suitcase 😅

I use three stacks of this bad boy:
Husky-Nail-Caddy-Organizer-Stacking.jpg

They were a top and a bottom for $20 so I bought 2 sets. I used a dremmel to cut the hand out of the bottoms and put foamboard down to cover the hole. I now carry my entire collection with me between the 3 stacks. It's pretty awesome for the price. 

Sounds like toolboxes are the way to go. I'm familiar with the Stanley Click N Connect already; my two good Armada friends have them and I've borrowed them when I've gone to tournaments. They're very useful for storage, but I've had trouble getting my stuff out of the box and onto the table in a quick and efficient manner. But maybe that's just my fault and not the container. 

Follow up question: Do you get your ships and squadrons set up in a relatively short time (five minutes or less) at tournaments? I usually find myself struggling with this.

4 minutes ago, Bertie Wooster said:

Sounds like toolboxes are the way to go. I'm familiar with the Stanley Click N Connect already; my two good Armada friends have them and I've borrowed them when I've gone to tournaments. They're very useful for storage, but I've had trouble getting my stuff out of the box and onto the table in a quick and efficient manner. But maybe that's just my fault and not the container. 

Follow up question: Do you get your ships and squadrons set up in a relatively short time (five minutes or less) at tournaments? I usually find myself struggling with this.

I don’t bring my whole collection to tournaments .  I have an otherwise empty battlegoam 1520 bag filled with Tupperware I cart to game nights, but where I expect to play, I have ships build, upgrades in command trays and a small tackle organizer for “supply”, that gets carried to drop in one go.

50 minutes ago, Bertie Wooster said:

I set up ahead of time and use 3d printed trays to organize when available. Most of my fleets will tear down and set up in under 3 minutes this way.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Bertie Wooster said:

I haven't done competitions. But when I play:

• I prep my cards before the game. I have a binder with BCW protective card sheets holding my cards. I have a few sheets up front specifically for compiling my ship builds into. I compile my fleet in those pages, so it's easy to pull out at the game.
  • Squadrons I'll pull out the fleet's selection (especially if I'm flying uniques) so they're together in my toolbox. 
  • The ships are fast. I just pull them out at game time, along with dials and dice and rulers and tokens. 

This prep lately also reveals what cards I don't own :) so I can scramble up some proxies before game time.

Edited by ShoutingMan

15 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I set up ahead of time and use 3d printed trays to organize when available. Most of my fleets will tear down and set up in under 3 minutes this way.

I just looked up Armada trays on Etsy; they're not as expensive as I expected.

12 hours ago, LTD said:

I have Perspex sheets that I blutack my cards to - I usually blutack the defence tokens as well. I can move and set up my fleet in about 3 minutes.

That's pretty cool. I'm pretty cheap, so I may look into that.

For carrying a fleet to a game, I use an A4 box file lined with some foam and off cuts to pad the models and bases. Fits into my satchel. For my 6x3 mat I use an extendable art tube, which double uses into an umbrella carrier, useful for living in the UK.

I have glued magnets to all the bases of my ships. This way I can put them in a metal boxes with removable drawers very easily and transport them safely. 

Wish I had that before most of my VSD antenna's broke off

On 5/17/2019 at 3:03 PM, Revanur said:

I have glued magnets to all the bases of my ships. This way I can put them in a metal boxes with removable drawers very easily and transport them safely. 

Wish I had that before most of my VSD antenna's broke off

I don’t think anything can save a VSD antenna. They break off with a light breeze. 

This fits my current imperial fleet in its entirety (one of each):  
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-10-Compartment-Deep-Pro-Small-Parts-Organizer-DWST14825/203367153
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Compartment-Pro-Small-Parts-Organizer-DWST14830/301869332

The large one I had to clear out a couple of the bins to put in the two ISD's and range rulers, etc.  THe small one holds all my squadrons, small cards, etc.  Works great and I've got at least one of everything.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:05 AM, bkcammack said:

I don’t think anything can save a VSD antenna. They break off with a light breeze. 

All 8 of mine still have their original antenna attached.

I use this guy for my squadron cases and 'tools'  https://www.zoro.com/stanley-portable-tool-box-19-2932w-x-12-516d-stst19900/i/G7617267/

This for the actual squadron cases https://www.zoro.com/westward-adjustable-box-compartments-3-to-18-2hfr3/i/G0455183/

This for all my tokens https://www.zoro.com/westward-adjustable-box-compartments-6-to-18-2hfr4/i/G1817812/

and when I get more ships, I add on these https://www.zoro.com/stanley-tool-organizer-plastic-clear-top-stst14440/i/G7515401/  

Plus Zoro has free shipping over $50 and usually has a sale, so you can get them even cheaper...