Sign in to follow this  
Hawkstrike

Michigan Hyperspace Trial Twitch Stream [Top Results Added]

So Swiss wrapped about an hour ago (6 rounds) and they're on to the top 8 final.

Big thanks to @RStan and the staff at Eternal for a very well run event that had a good turnout and participation for a lot of new players.

Some things to highlight that I thought were well done:

- Preregistration and quick check in.

- Good use of space. The store was not at capacity but every table had plenty of elbow room.

- Everybody got multiple participation alt arts (maybe these are the Hyperspace kits; I don't know).

- The store provided pizza for everyone mid-day.

- The TO and organizers encouraged people to keep playing by giving out raffle tickets for each loss you suffered. Raffle tickets were pulled between rounds while pairings were calculated, which helped to pass that time. Prizes were everything from FFG and third party tokens, alt arts, dice bags, and dial covers to ship expansions, with the bigger prizes going after the later rounds. They even handed out special prizes to players attending their first organized event, of whom there were about ten.

- Pairings went up quickly with very few errors, no mass repairing or anything like that.

Areas maybe to improve: could use a PA; stream had no overlay or commentary for people watching online.

As to what was there -- I did not take a formal count, but it seemed like there was a pretty broad spectrum of lists. Rebel 4-ship (Rebel Beef) seemed to be the most prevalent achetype (of XBBU, XBYU, XXYU, XXXU, XBAU, and similar varieties, all featuring Leia) and Rebels were probably the most numerous faction followed by Imperial (lots of Vader) and First Order (Kylo / Ups or Kylo / SF). Separatist seemed to be the least represented  overall though I personally faced two Separatist lists (plus two First Order, one Imperial, and one Rebel, but no Republic, Resistance, or Scum). I don't know if/when all lists will be posted.

I did not get top eight but know it included at least one Rebel Beef, one TIE Swarm, a Scum Falcon/Fang/Escape Craft, and a First Order Kylo/SFs list.

Posted (edited)

When you wake up five hours after getting home to let the dogs out, notice the loot on the kitchen table and say, "yup that really happened."

😏🤗

Other top eight included imp aces (Vader, fcs, hate; soontir, predator; duchess, pred, seismic?) that took second. I believe it was 2 rebel beef in the cut but neither made it to top 4. The one I saw was partisan, breylen, ten, Luke.  Lone wolf Fenn and 5 dice han (Lando docked) was the scariest/hardest match.

I ran

Howl + swarm

Iden

Del meeko + swarm

Gideon

wampa

Academy (who gets the award for most likely to survive)

Edited by Cr0aker

I want to Second hawkstrike's take on the tournament. Smoothest regional I have attended. The pizza was a nice touch so everyone got to eat without a long break in an already long day.

No hiccups, new players were encouraged and treated well. Lots of prize support for sticking through the losses raffle.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cr0aker said:

I want to Second hawkstrike's take on the tournament. Smoothest regional I have attended. The pizza was a nice touch so everyone got to eat without a long break in an already long day.

No hiccups, new players were encouraged and treated well. Lots of prize support for sticking through the losses raffle.

Hey congrats! Just skipping through the finals stream, what is your reasoning for that starting formation? Is it to control which ship is in front when turning in? 

Edit: to be clear, I'm referring to the offset ships on the sides. 

Edited by Tk421doyouloveme

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tk421doyouloveme said:

Hey congrats! Just skipping through the finals stream, what is your reasoning for that starting formation? Is it to control which ship is in front when turning in? 

Edit: to be clear, I'm referring to the offset ships on the sides. 

Thanks!

To be honest I did not have a specific reason for this formation. I am pretty decent at the game so allthough this was my first time playing a swarm with 4 or 5 practice rounds on vassal (changed list last minute and regional was my first time putting six ships or this list on a table) the transition wasn't hard. I have flown four ship lists in a 1 2 1 formation in the past. It just made sense to do 1 2 2 1 instead of 2 2 2.

What I observed was it caused me to have some ships out of arc when I hard turned in.  But when facing North /south or at an angle it cast such a wide net it helped me close off options to flank me and increased my chances of getting shots.

Edited by Cr0aker

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cr0aker said:

Thanks!

To be honest I did not have a specific reason for this formation. I am pretty decent at the game so allthough this was my first time playing a swarm with 4 or 5 practice rounds on vassal (changed list last minute and regional was my first time putting six ships or this list on a table) the transition wasn't hard. I have flown four ship lists in a 1 2 1 formation in the past. It just made sense to do 1 2 2 1 instead of 2 2 2.

What I observed was it caused me to have some ships out of arc when I hard turned in.  But when facing North /south or at an angle it cast such a wide net it helped me close off options to flank me and increased my chances of getting shots.

I was thinking more about those ships being out of howlrunner or iden range, but it seemed to work out just fine. Nice game, those aces sure didn't call that 1 turn. 

Edited by Tk421doyouloveme

18 hours ago, Tk421doyouloveme said:

I was thinking more about those ships being out of howlrunner or iden range, but it seemed to work out just fine. Nice game, those aces sure didn't call that 1 turn. 

That's why del meeko is on the inside with his 0-2 range ability

Was there an extra system open 2018 mat (with a name designation on the underside in gold sharpie) at the store? I dropped after round 5 to get a headstart on my way back, but I forgot about it and left it behind. If so, please PM me.

Just now, player3010587 said:

Was there an extra system open 2018 mat (with a name designation on the underside in gold sharpie) at the store? I dropped after round 5 to get a headstart on my way back, but I forgot about it and left it behind. If so, please PM me.

Yes, it has been set aside behind the desk at the store and they noted your email on the back. They should be contacting you in the near future, but feel free to give them a call beforehand if you feel the need to. 

It was suggested that I throw crack shot on Iden to give Iden two charges.  I was pretty sure that only works with force and the rules reference confirms:

If an upgrade card has a charge limit, the 󲈮 are placed above that
upgrade card (not the ship card it is attached to).
◊ If an upgrade card instructs the ship to spend 󲈮, those 󲈮 are spent
from that upgrade card.
• If an upgrade card has a Force capacity, this increases the Force capacity
of the ship. The 󲈯 are placed above the ship card it is attached to (not
the upgrade card).
◊ A ship card that does not have a Force capacity on its ship card has a
Force capacity of “0,” but that capacity can be increased by upgrade
cards that have a Force capacity.
◊ During the End Phase, each ship with a Force capacity recovers only
one 󲈯 regardless of the number of recurring charge symbols that
appear on its upgrade cards.
◊ If an upgrade card instructs the ship to spend 󲈯, those 󲈯 are spent