Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ghalgor1

X-34 Speeder.

Recommended Posts

Hi

I am just wondering why the rebel speeder is the same price as an ATST and the new imperial TX-225 tank.  The speeder is smaller than the air speeder, costs more in $ and looks ridiculous next to the tank for only $10 less.  This might not mean much in US $ but $89 AU for it while the tank is $99 AU just doesn't sit well.  THis is the first Legion product that I have been extremely disappointed in.  Any one else feel the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not about the size of the model, it's about what they think they can sell it for. Destiny cards are all the same size,as are the dice, but some of them go for $.25 and some go for $49.99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is called “goblin indexing” in reference to GW’s practice of charging more for things with better game stats.

However, number of parts is more important than size, when figuring out actual costs to produce things. I’m guessing that landspeeder has a lot of parts. 

Edited by TauntaunScout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

89 Dollarydoos?! It might be the detail, any extra bits, or it might be that bloodsucking mouse. The speeder does come with a couple diverse rebel sculpts, so it is more than the crumpled trapezoid that makes up the T47

Edited by qwertyuiop
bad at words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tirion said:

To the op I agree it is the first thing I didn't buy due to it's cost

I will get one someday but cost is a factor in the delay. Since I know that I am buying a TON of Legion kits when tauntauns and rebel veterans and dewbacks come out. 

 But the landspeeder is just so perfect for my terrain setup. And it’s a great homage to the WEG kit. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

This is called “goblin indexing” in reference to GW’s practice of charging more for things with better game stats.

However, number of parts is more important than size, when figuring out actual costs to produce things. I’m guessing that landspeeder has a lot of parts. 

From the unboxing video I saw, the x34 has a lot more parts than the t47.

I may pick one up, I may not.... the big thing for me is how much do I really want to invest in the Rebels when I know republic is coming. I started getting into them for thematic events but .... I’m just not as excited for them. I am hyped for tauntauns but not for a lot of the stuff I haven’t bought yet (like fleet troops, pathfinders etc). 

Now, the tx225 is a done deal. I just have to pick the time to pull the trigger. Empire is my go-to faction and so far I’m only missing the 2019 releases (up to date through specialists). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

From the unboxing video I saw, the x34 has a lot more parts than the t47.

I may pick one up, I may not.... the big thing for me is how much do I really want to invest in the Rebels when I know republic is coming. I started getting into them for thematic events but .... I’m just not as excited for them. I am hyped for tauntauns but not for a lot of the stuff I haven’t bought yet (like fleet troops, pathfinders etc). 

Now, the tx225 is a done deal. I just have to pick the time to pull the trigger. Empire is my go-to faction and so far I’m only missing the 2019 releases (up to date through specialists). 

I'm collecting both factions but I'm not a "one of each" collector. I still don't own most of the products. However, green Rebel Troopers,  normal Fleet Troopers, and that X34 together on a table will look like they were lifted right out of the old days. Have them led by a 2nd box of specialists in not-Hoth colors. Course that means buying fleet troopers someday too. And somehow cobbling together a full 800 points of just infantry squads, to give myself enough points worth of stuff to play actual campaigns and whatnot. The X34is a "must have" thing but it's gonna light the fuse on a whole project that I don't have time for right now.

Before any of that nonsense occurs I'm going to have to paint 6, 3, 3, of Veterans, tauntans and dewbacks respectively. Maybe 6,6, 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

I'm collecting both factions but I'm not a "one of each" collector. I still don't own most of the products.

I was one for just Empire, until the Rogue One announcements. I thought I’d still be in because I really liked Rogue One as a movie. But I barely got Palp or Vader on the table as it was. So I think I’m skipping Krennic and DT for now. The tank is too cool though.

And then I bought someone going out of Legion’s stuff for cheap, and I had my 3x Rebel Troopers, Leia, some RTs and a t47. Bought the commandos right away for more choices. Now, I’m just not excited for most of the other rebel units. I’ll probably grab Han and Chewie for the full lineup of OT heroes. I think Wookie Warriors looks hilariously fun. I want to scoop up some Vets for the extra corps units, and tauntauns look super fun. But, I don’t care about Jyn. The pathfinders are expensive (in game).

But after that? I’m not sure. Admittedly, if they got a subfaction of Ewoks I’d probably have to jump all over that.

Then again, Republic has so much going for it.... 

Tough choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mep said:

Well you are paying $40, $50, $60 for $3 worth of plastic. At some point value isn't a consideration.

But yes, over all cost is consideration. $50 for any SKU in legion is a bit much.

For the plastic yes. But their ROI is very different for variable piece counts. I am not valuing it more as a consumer because of piece count. But I am well aware that the molds for a 3 piece kit costs the com-pany less to create than the molds for a 12 piece kit. 

Also it’s probably nowhere close to $3 worth of plastic!

Edited by TauntaunScout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand it in a way, it has more parts and lots of options compared to the airspeeder. They alao give you more cards I think.

However I was suprised at the Price. The tank I understand, but I think they got a little greedy here. 

Not that it matters to me since im hooked on the plastic crack and will but 2 anyway. I do however understand the reaction to the prize.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ghalgor1 said:

Hi

I am just wondering why the rebel speeder is the same price as an ATST and the new imperial TX-225 tank.  The speeder is smaller than the air speeder, costs more in $ and looks ridiculous next to the tank for only $10 less.  This might not mean much in US $ but $89 AU for it while the tank is $99 AU just doesn't sit well.  THis is the first Legion product that I have been extremely disappointed in.  Any one else feel the same?

It’s the level of detail and sculpting / amount of tiny parts I suppose.

The airspeeder and AT-ST have far fewer parts and they’re much less complex. That’d be my take on it. Either way, wait a few months until there’s a discount by someone who bought too much stock and wants to clear their shelves if paying full price for the new thing bothers you so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I will get one someday but cost is a factor in the delay. Since I know that I am buying a TON of Legion kits when tauntauns and rebel veterans and dewbacks come out. 

 But the landspeeder is just so perfect for my terrain setup. And it’s a great homage to the WEG kit. 

 

If you're buying it as a "nice to have/for terrain" model primarily, be aware that it's substantially oversized. As in, the speeder itself is almost 1:30 scale if you go with the "official" size of the movie prop. I know that kind of thing doesn't bother everybody, but just so you're aware in case you're one of the ones it does bother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Yodhrin said:

If you're buying it as a "nice to have/for terrain" model primarily, be aware that it's substantially oversized. As in, the speeder itself is almost 1:30 scale if you go with the "official" size of the movie prop. I know that kind of thing doesn't bother everybody, but just so you're aware in case you're one of the ones it does bother.

Well then I will just assume it’s not the exact make and model as Luke’s. Thanks though. 

I don’t plan on using it as terrain itself. But it’ll match my table nicely. It seems like it belongs in the desert.

 

Edited by TauntaunScout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

I was one for just Empire, until the Rogue One announcements. I thought I’d still be in because I really liked Rogue One as a movie. But I barely got Palp or Vader on the table as it was. So I think I’m skipping Krennic and DT for now. The tank is too cool though.

And then I bought someone going out of Legion’s stuff for cheap, and I had my 3x Rebel Troopers, Leia, some RTs and a t47. Bought the commandos right away for more choices. Now, I’m just not excited for most of the other rebel units. I’ll probably grab Han and Chewie for the full lineup of OT heroes. I think Wookie Warriors looks hilariously fun. I want to scoop up some Vets for the extra corps units, and tauntauns look super fun. But, I don’t care about Jyn. The pathfinders are expensive (in game).

But after that? I’m not sure. Admittedly, if they got a subfaction of Ewoks I’d probably have to jump all over that.

Then again, Republic has so much going for it.... 

Tough choices.

Wookie Warriors are fun, but pricy. I love using them though. I've been running two units in a themed league created by one of my friends. I've been tempted to buy a third unit or run three for fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Also it’s probably nowhere close to $3 worth of plastic!

Probably not, but they put it in a pretty box, so that makes up for it right?

Part of production cost is development, molds have to be made, and the thing does get boxed up. But yeah, the resin cost is next to nominal for a piece that size.

There isn't a good reason why it cost so much other than maybe they had a lot of manufacturing difficulties (i.e. a lot of stupid happened) that really raised the cost basis for this one sku. If so, the reprints of this may hit the distributor at a much lower cost resulting in the online discounts for it being much lower than normal. Probably not seeing that until christmas though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My complaint with the landspeeder that I bought, the fixed turret weapons (rifle and ion) were literally bent in half out of the box. I feel like I had to work much harder than I should have to fix them, on a model that cost $50. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, armada439 said:

My complaint with the landspeeder that I bought, the fixed turret weapons (rifle and ion) were literally bent in half out of the box. I feel like I had to work much harder than I should have to fix them, on a model that cost $50. 

Mine was missing the gear stick completely.  Have lodged a ticket but still another disappointment concerning this overpriced model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my speeder, was really exited about it, then noticed the mounting for the hardpoint weapon was missing from the kit.

After contacting Asmodee, got the bit within the week.

Ive got an unorthodox list its gonna fit into, we will see how it pans out in actual use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was pretty happy with the model. They did a good job with the details and the engine covers being separate pieces you can just leave off to make it look more beat up is cool. Would like it to be cheaper, but it has parts and details than the T-47 or ST, so meh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...