Sign in to follow this  
player2422845

YT2400, sounds good, doesn't work?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Ysenhal said:

Or to put it another way: does it count as a "weakness" when, in the worst scenario, your weapon is merely on par with other ships instead of clearly stronger? I guess it is a bit inefficient since the ship costs so much...

For comparison, imagine if Jumpmasters had an upgrade that read "You may ignore the target lock requirement on torpedoes. While making an attack with torpedoes, you may treat them as a turret attack. Before you engage, recharge all charges on your torpedoes". Everyone would be horrified. Yet that's pretty close to what the YT-2400 has - 4-dice attacks out the turret that don't need a target lock or ammunition, and 3 dice if you're too close for torps. It's also got that large-base barrel roll, and a better dial than the 2.0 Jumpmaster IMO.

I don't see a lot of YT-2400s being flown, so perhaps the price could come down a bit. But I can see why FFG might be wary of making it too cheap.

Oh definitely! I don’t think anyone’s saying we want Dash under 90ish. But a price decrease is definitely in order.

Also I think the math is a little off in terms of R1 dice number. If you put a B-Wing at R1, it’s 4 dice to 3. Even a TIE/ln gets a better deal at 3:3 because it has more agility.

Another thing I haven’t seen mentioned here is that the R3 attacks now grant the non-trivial defensive bonus, reducing Dash’s true maximum threat area to R2 within arc if he wants any mods. Try for that and you’ll find It much harder than getting the same effect with something like the VCX, which is substantially cheaper and still not seeing much play.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

I.E. :

Dash Rendar — YT-2400 Light Freighter 98
Trick Shot 2
Outrider 14
Ship Total: 114
Half Points: 57 Threshold: 5

(Outrider optional, though can be beneficial. Tossing off Tractor, Jam, Ion Stress and Strain tokens has a fair bit of use in addition to the bonus dice removal.)

Yeah, Outrider is a great title which for obvious reasons synergises really well with Dash's ability and Trick Shot, but it feels like a bit of a points trap to me at 14 points.  If it comes down to the title or another ship on the board, I'd choose the latter.

With 100 points left over you can get two good quality wingmen for Dash; with 86 points left it's a bit more of a struggle.

Edit:  Although, that said even with the title on board you can still fit an Intimidation Arvel and Ion Cannon Turret Dutch into the list...

Edited by FTS Gecko

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Ysenhal said:

Or to put it another way: does it count as a "weakness" when, in the worst scenario, your weapon is merely on par with other ships instead of clearly stronger? I guess it is a bit inefficient since the ship costs so much...

For comparison, imagine if Jumpmasters had an upgrade that read "You may ignore the target lock requirement on torpedoes. While making an attack with torpedoes, you may treat them as a turret attack. Before you engage, recharge all charges on your torpedoes". Everyone would be horrified. Yet that's pretty close to what the YT-2400 has - 4-dice attacks out the turret that don't need a target lock or ammunition, and 3 dice if you're too close for torps. It's also got that large-base barrel roll, and a better dial than the 2.0 Jumpmaster IMO.

I don't see a lot of YT-2400s being flown, so perhaps the price could come down a bit. But I can see why FFG might be wary of making it too cheap.

at range 1, the YT2400 is on par with a TIE fighter.

at range 3, the primary does not equate to torpedoes as it doesn't remove the range bonus nor give you that juicey hit --> crit. It's a HUGE cry from torpedoes, especially considering the price point of torpedoes on their cheap, dedicated carriers

but hyperbole aside, the yt2400 IS only balanced while it's expensive. Probably way too expensive atm (except dash, since that ability is REALLY difficult to balance around), but it is a "premium" ship because it's running around with the second most powerful primary weapon in the game (not vcx quality, but still) on a bowtie turret that makes it very flexible.

point is, it's really difficult to understate how its drawback affects its potency. Throwing out 5 dice at range 1 would make it ludicrously better than it currently is, especially on the higher I Rendar who'd have a much easier time getting into range 1 or barrelrolling out of arcs while remaining within range 1

it also makes it so you just can't joust with leebo etc. and expect to come out on top

Edited by ficklegreendice

Posted (edited)

A/SF-01 B-wing - •Braylen Stramm - 47
    •Braylen Stramm - Blade Leader (47)

A/SF-01 B-wing - •Ten Numb - 49
    •Ten Numb - Blue Five (46)
        Elusive (3)

YT-2400 Light Freighter - •Dash Rendar - 104
    •Dash Rendar - Hotshot Mercenary (98)
        Trick Shot (2)
        •Hera Syndulla (4)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

This could be the answer for wingmen for Dash. You get two tanky B-wings that don't care about stress and sling 3 modded dice at you without actions.  Hera opens up your options if you are forced to barrel roll with Dash.

Edited by IceManHG

9 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Yeah, Outrider is a great title which for obvious reasons synergises really well with Dash's ability and Trick Shot, but it feels like a bit of a points trap to me at 14 points.  If it comes down to the title or another ship on the board, I'd choose the latter.

With 100 points left over you can get two good quality wingmen for Dash; with 86 points left it's a bit more of a struggle.

Edit:  Although, that said even with the title on board you can still fit an Intimidation Arvel and Ion Cannon Turret Dutch into the list...

I kinda dig the idea of mitigating the 3-ship list problem by ditching Outrider for Bistan giving him another shot, especially as a balance against swarms. Trick Shot, Bistan, and PerCop leaves you enough for a pair of Green Sqdn A-wings with Juke and Predator. Sure, the points are heading into the questionable territory for him, but it's an entire extra modified attack for essentially 8 points, and those Juke As are solid little ships that suit flanking for Dash.

6 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

at range 1, the YT2400 is on par with a TIE fighter.

And with the turret on the Scum YT-1300, Jumpmaster, Lancer and Starfortress (although the latter two also have a 3-dice front arc). Obviously the YV-2400 is much more expensive than those ships, and rolling three dice is worse than the 5 it would otherwise have, but it's not the like it's the only big ship that might be rolling three dice at range 1.