MrTInce

I would like a collection of gear and gadgets...

I'm not too certain how to feel about this one. If it brings together *all* of the items and equipment from all the books (while adding some more), then fine.

If it does not, then why does it exist? Also, will there be art for every weapon?

A collection doesn't interest me all that much, but the new weapons, armors, gear and attachements interest me... Hopefully there's gonna be something fun for lightsabers in there in terms of attachments!

1 minute ago, Daeglan said:

It does make me think they are winding down the line...

I’ve mentioned the old Sammy Hagar comment about “greatest hits” packages many times when collections like this have been suggested: it sends the message, “We have nothing new to offer.” 😢

Just now, Daeglan said:

Either that, or waiting for the all-clear from Disney to start pumping out Sequel stuff

I may not like the sequels myself, but it would be silly for FFG to not throw themselves at it to release more books from that era... Plus, we still don't really have a Darksider book, or at least an Empire focused book, which are also fantastic options for them

I think they've got options for books they can release for as long as Disney lets them, really

2 minutes ago, TheJack said:

Either that, or waiting for the all-clear from Disney to start pumping out Sequel stuff

I may not like the sequels myself, but it would be silly for FFG to not throw themselves at it to release more books from that era... Plus, we still don't really have a Darksider book, or at least an Empire focused book, which are also fantastic options for them

I think they've got options for books they can release for as long as Disney lets them, really

I agree. But from what I hear about their past this type of stuff they did when winding down a line...I hope not but past can be prologue

27 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

I’ve mentioned the old Sammy Hagar comment about “greatest hits” packages many times when collections like this have been suggested: it sends the message, “We have nothing new to offer.” 😢

It's a tough call to make:

1) It's just a lull. They're buying time needed for new content in the form of Cassian Andor Live, The Mando, New Trilogy Completion/Resistance, so on.

2) It's a consolidation for a R&E core publication.

3) It's filler holding the line in while they work 2E.

4) It's filler to keep the line going, but the line is "done" and FFG is just keeping it going since they might as well make money off the RPG license since it's lashed to the card and minis games that are the more consistent money makers.

Anything could be true, it's just a question of what is...

I agree - the line is winding down.  Preceding a Next Version or just ending?  We'll find out.

I like the content of these books.  I'm getting Rise of the Separatists tomorrow.  Dawn of Rebellion has been great and useful, I started using it right away.  I'm glad they're doing "consolidation of stuff" books because it makes using and referencing things much much easier.  I hope they do one for all the disparate little rule sets they've put in the various books - from Mass Combat to Hintaro and Sabaac to Battle Scars etc.

The Adversaries and Allies is a book I'm finding really useful and enjoyable but from a marketing perspective it's really GM oriented with only a little thrown in for PC players.

This one seems the reverse - primarily directed at PC players.

Last thing: Luke Skywalker's lightsaber seems a bit lame (though potentially a min/max power gamer's dream within a group of Jedi Force Wizards who will succeed on all Discipline/Force Power checks the rest of the encounter) at only base 6 damage and 0 HP left.

Even if the line winds down, I feel I will be playing for some time as I love the system and what has been released so far.

I'm not sure how I feel about this release.  The Iconic weapons listings (for me will just be fluff) as I intentionally keep my ROTJ era game characters away from Luke and the main band of characters.  There's little to no chance they will come across any of the iconic weapons since the iconic people still have them.

Then there is this comment: While generally considered inferior to ranged weaponry, melee weapons and lightsabers can be lethal if their wielders are able to close distance. Over 48 melee weapons are detailed in Gadgets and Gear.

Have they played this game?  Brawl/Melee/Lightsabers inferior to ranged weaponry?  Maybe if you only consider Autofire Ranged weapons.

It will be interesting to see what else they add to the items/attachments but I'm still doubtful......yup, I preordered it.

2 minutes ago, Varlie said:

Have they played this game?  Brawl/Melee/Lightsabers inferior to ranged weaponry?  Maybe if you only consider Autofire Ranged weapons.

A weapon is a tool. Bring the right tool for the job.

I don't care how awesome your monomolecular stiletto is, I'm 1,000 meters away from you on the 20th floor of a building shooting at you with a long barreled blaster rifle.

I think this is probably a gap-filler to keep the line going while more involved projects are ongoing or upcoming. It's about time as we were seeing some bloat, it at least makes it easier for GMs to reference stuff that was scattered before. 

We'll probably get a starship book soon. I would like a rules compendium with updated and clarified core rules. Perhaps collect some of the other rules scattered around and fill in gaps.

I imagine we'll see some era books soon, that looks the new main direction of the line. A Galactic Civil War book is very likely, adding stuff in from the books and comics. A sequel trilogy of book too once it's wrapped up and something for whatever the new films will be. 

Honestly there is so much doomsaying among the fanbase. If they don't release books it means they've dropped the line. If they release books it's a sign the line is ending.

57 minutes ago, Varlie said:

The Iconic weapons listings (for me will just be fluff) as I intentionally keep my ROTJ era game characters away from Luke and the main band of characters.  There's little to no chance they will come across any of the iconic weapons since the iconic people still have them.

Again, this for when your players pull a time heist.

5 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

I think it's about time we got books like this. One I'd really like to see is one covering all of the different creatures. There are a bucket load of them from both canon and Legends that don't yet have official FFG stats. 

“A bucketload” without current stats doesn’t fit the model of these books (mostly reprint material, with just enough new to maybe warrant spending full price).

4 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

“A bucketload” without current stats doesn’t fit the model of these books (mostly reprint material, with just enough new to maybe warrant spending full price).

Maybe not, but, given the utter lack of creatures, such a book could have mostly new material. It would have to. 

Presumably the line is still profitable or else they'd not even bother with compendiums. 

"Oh crap we need to put out something!" is better than "Let's not put anything out, it won't make us the money we want anyway."

Once the cows are producing only blood, my guess is we'll see a second edition.

18 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Maybe not, but, given the utter lack of creatures, such a book could have mostly new material. It would have to. 

Which, again, would seem to run counter to the production model of these books.

(And would also be counter-intuitive to creatures’ existing inclusion in Allies and Adversaries.)

4 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Which, again, would seem to run counter to the production model of these books.

(And would also be counter-intuitive to creatures’ existing inclusion in Allies and Adversaries.)

If that book has a lot of non-sentient creatures, that might be true. However, if it only has a small handful, then a proper creatures book would still be needed. There simply aren't enough iconic creatures with FFG stats: No Hssiss, no Terentateks, no Exogorth, no Sarlacc, etc. Currently, the number of creatures with FFG stats is just a drop in the bucket compared to all of the various creatures actually in canon and Legends. 

My point isn't so much whether or not it would be "counter to their existing production model". My point is that there is a desperate need for such a book to fill out a major lack within the line. 

5 hours ago, AceDogbert said:

Also, will there be art for every weapon?

I'm okay with Allies & Adversaries summarizing visually, since the real value is in descriptions and setting tips. But for equipment and (presumably upcoming) vehicles, it's all about the look.

As others have said, time will tell but I think a REUPEX’d version is significantly more likely then them winding the line down.

They are 6-7 months away from being able to churn out additional content from the sequel trilogy, to say nothing of what they might get from the Mandalorian and other upcoming Disney content.

i don’t love this book as i have all the books (so have all the existing gear) and use OGGDude’s tool or swrpg.villa but see why this is a logical step and would expect to see other compendium volumes for ships and creatures and the like.

i have never run one of their adventures as-is (except the free downloads from their website) but have enjoyed reading them all and getting ideas or themes and am a little surprised they aren’t turning those out more regularly.

I recognize that the next trilogy doesn’t start till 2022 but i think that there is still ebony juice left here to get us to there, and from there it’s a whole new vista of possibilities.

Or I’m wrong and they wind it down 🤣

7 hours ago, Daeglan said:

To quote Doctor Strange, "We're in the endgame now."

I agree, between this book and the general slowing down of releases, I won't be surprised if within a couple of years FFG either announces the end of the product line, or that they're ramping up for a new edition.