Sign in to follow this  
Trialus

Mines of Moria Gen-Con Scenario

10 minutes ago, Tyrion Gru said:

Hmmm. I thought this was a co-op game, or solo. Am I missing something?

The "On Competitive Play" section of last year's Gencon quest announcement should help explain things. (tl;dr: In addition to standard solo/co-op, the scenario allowed for a form of competitive play.)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/4/the-wizards-quest/

Presumably this year's event will be similar.

I'm curious why they're pushing this angle? Hoping to pick up competitive LCG players? Based on what I've seen online it seems like many/most existing players play solo, and will have no use for these kits. 

5 minutes ago, cfmcdonald said:

I'm curious why they're pushing this angle? Hoping to pick up competitive LCG players? Based on what I've seen online it seems like many/most existing players play solo, and will have no use for these kits. 

While these scenarios are designed for competitive play, there are also rules that allow cooperative or solo play. Instead of customizing the encounter deck for the other team and hoping to hit them unprepared, you can just pick seven random encounter sets and play these quests like any other. Of course with the modular deck, you have many different combinations, some of them are more deadly than others.

Edited by Amicus Draconis

2 minutes ago, Amicus Draconis said:

While these scenarios are designed for competitive play, there are also rules that allow cooperative or solo play. Instead of customizing the encounter deck for the other team and hoping to hit them unprepared, you can just pick seven random encounter sets and play these quests like any other. Of course with the modular deck, you have many different combinations, some of them are more deadly than others.

Yes, but based on what I've heard the scenarios are not very satisfying when played in this way, because of the many effects where the other player/team is supposed to choose for you. 

It's annoying and subjective to choose for yourself.  You can do it more randomly (but less threateningly) by just discarding until you meet the criteria.  (For those that specify a certain point value, try to find the matching point value first instead of taking a "or less").

But what you essentially end up is a random quest with a fairly generic plotline.  That can be hard to compete with the hundred other quests out there, especially when you haven't played them all yet, but it also enjoys more variability in the encounter cards than you'll see practically anywhere else out there.  I think some will find that interesting, especially in a deck testing environment as an alternative to playing Passage through Mirkwood (to test viability) or Journey Down the Anduin (to test strength) for the upteenth time.  I certainly enjoy randomly generated dungeons in dungeon crawling games.

If/when the game ever does end, I think these scenarios combined will make a nice toolkit for community-invented quests.

One advantage of this over the usual Fellowship quests -- it's *way* easier to win!

I went to my FLGS Fellowship event last year and there was only one other person. We played co-op through the scenario with a random set of encounter cards (all the odd numbered ones I believe) and had a blast. It was a lot of fun.

If I have to go to GenCon and strain through one "competitive" session to get these cards and have them for future use I will gladly do so. A random setup is good fun. Speaking of which, when are the Wizard's Quest/Woodland Realm sets going to be available? I got the latter from the Fellowship Event but pre-ordered Wizard's Quest. I'm starting to wonder if that's ever coming out.

6 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

I went to my FLGS Fellowship event last year and there was only one other person. We played co-op through the scenario with a random set of encounter cards (all the odd numbered ones I believe) and had a blast. It was a lot of fun.

If I have to go to GenCon and strain through one "competitive" session to get these cards and have them for future use I will gladly do so. A random setup is good fun. Speaking of which, when are the Wizard's Quest/Woodland Realm sets going to be available? I got the latter from the Fellowship Event but pre-ordered Wizard's Quest. I'm starting to wonder if that's ever coming out.

The wizards quest and woodland realm are out now - i have just received wizards quest from a uk retailer

11 hours ago, Crusaderlord said:

The wizards quest and woodland realm are out now - i have just received wizards quest from a uk retailer

It’s not out in Canada yet :( my pre Order is still unfulfilled 

15 hours ago, Crusaderlord said:

Awesome, I hope my FLGS has it for me soon!

11 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

@TheSpitfired When I went to Gen Con for last year’s event (Wizard’s Quest), FFG actually ran it in cooperative mode; so might not have to “strain through a competitive game. ;)

I'm signing up for it either way! Watch us pair up and not even realize it.

A Gen Con 2019 special event! This unique custom scenario kit provides players with everything they need to build their own adventures in Moria! Escape from Khazad-dum supports two modes of play: standard cooperative mode, and a race-to-the-finish competitive mode.

I think "The Mines of Moria" is the actual event's name, and that "Escape from Khazad-dûm" is the actual name of the scenario, reading that description.

I've been away from the game for a while, but I'm going to play at GenCon.  This scenario screams dwarf deck, but with all the development since Isenguard are dwarf decks still viable?

Background:  I used to play super Boromir solo, but I'm teaching someone new to play for this event.  I've seen the nerf to Super Boromir and I don't feel like I'd need that deck anyways for non-solo play.  I remember when dwarves were the best trait in the game, but if they've not kept up with other trait developments than I will explore other builds.

I haven't played a dwarf deck for several years, so take my impression with a grain of salt.  I think it is less a matter that dwarves haven't kept up and more that back during the earlier cycles dwarves were one of the few defined archetypes that were powerful.  Since then Outlands, Dunedain, Noldor, Silvan, Dale, Rohan, Gondor and Hobbits have all become strong deck types and have caught up with strong dwarf decks.

TL;DR Dwarves are still good, but now other deck types are equally strong.