Cubanboy

Happy Other Friday .....

Posted (edited)

My wife is a hard-core Star Wars geek, teaches SW-themed yoga classes, loves cosplay, and has learned to play Magic with me the last few months.

Alas, no XWM, though.  What's worse, when I lose, she says: "Of course.  The bad guys are supposed to lose."

Edited by Darth Meanie

Alas I've got no one at home to play with (The joys of living at home after college while working). To my family, gaming of any sort is stuck in the days of Scrabble, Monopoly, and good'ol playing cards; I can't even get them to learn Catan, let-alone X-wing :(

My wife is nice, as she doesn't enjoy it a lot, but will play sometime and will act super excited when I bring her a ship for her faction.

So I try to give her time between games.

But she absolutely loves to win!

I actually got this game when I saw it at B&N because I thought it would help me bond with my Father-in-Law, who is a very big Star Wars fan. I like games, he likes Star Wars, perfect compromise, right?

Little did I know it would end up pulling me deep, deep into the world of Star Wars lore, and now He, his brother-in-law and I all have over 50 ships each.

Still can’t get my wife or any of my own family to play much, except for getting my younger brother a little 2e Resistance and FO for Christmas.

Just started teaching my daughter to play, she's three so very much at the using the templates and rolling dice stage of things. Red being her favourite colour does lead to quite a lot of first round K-turns!

My other half doesn't play X-wing, though she does enjoy watching me crash into rocks! She's more of a Warmachine fan.

Posted (edited)

My wife does not play (tactical) games. (Pandemic legacy, eldritch horror etc she does though)
But she gives me advice on paintschemes for my many wargames.
(which is useful given the fact that I am pretty poor at that)

Edited by Elkerlyc
typo

My wife use to play X-Wing in 1.0 days, and decently well. Card combinations however drove her away and she's had zero interest in returning.

That said, we still have a stack of various games on the shelf that we both enjoy. Got a couple of new games sitting on the table waiting to be unwrapped too.

10 hours ago, heychadwick said:

No gaming for me this week.  Craziness with the family and daughter moving into her first off-campus house.  

I know what you're going through with your daughter. Mine did it last June and next week we are moving her out of her apt.

19 minutes ago, Covered in Weasels said:

My girlfriend plays RPG games and some board games, so I tried to teach her X-wing. She lost interest as soon as she learned she couldn't crash her TIE fighters into my X-Wings to kill both ships instantly. 

House-rule it!

Nope, my wife does not participate in my table top nerdness.

I might occasionally get her to try a more normalized board game like Flash Point but certainly nothing customizable or asymmetric.

Which is fine I guess. We’ve never had all that much for hobbies in common.

My better half really likes books, roleplaying and advanced boardgames. Also plays Man O War (GW's 2.5 decades old fantasy war fleets game), tried X-wing, but did not catch on. Enjoyed watching Rebels, though.

3 out of 4 children play (1 competitively), youngest is interested as well (but too young).

My wife actively dislikes playing any sort of game (board/rpg/mini). I have a slight chance of getting her to play Pandemic with me once a year when she is feeling generous.

Like a lot of folks, my first opponent was my wife. She enjoyed playing and beat me regularly, but outside of a handful of games in 1st edition she hasn't played since. She teaches kindergarten, plays French horn in a community orchestra + our 4 young kids with Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, Baseball, etc. means free time (and energy) is extremely limited for both of us.

She's a big SW nerd too, so that helps!

She does not play, or is very much into SW at all, but she's extremely fascinated by the organizing aspect of it. 

I spend a lot of time and resources on organizing, and have got A LOT of Feldherr foam for everything in my (mostly complete) collection. She loves to help me mark or resleeve, paint acrylics if needed, and has bought a lot of stuff for me like trays and tokens. 

So we kinda share an obsession for that aspect of the game! 

5 hours ago, Captain Mayhem said:

My wife doesn't play at all. But she lets me buy what I want and really does not complain about it as long as everything is payed up and covered.

2 hours ago, dunhop said:

My wife actively dislikes playing any sort of game (board/rpg/mini). I have a slight chance of getting her to play Pandemic with me once a year when she is feeling generous.

These. But it's Catan for her, not Pandemic.

My son plays, goes to tournaments with me. My daughter occasionally plays too.

Mine loves playing games, all kinds of games. Risk, Clue, Catan, Carcassonne, Card games, word games, some video games, puzzles. But for some reason, she has no interest in playing X-wing.