nikk whyte

Article: BoardCrunch, and the South Carolina Hyperspace Trial

17 minutes ago, Talonbane Cobra said:

This comes across as a guy actually making an effort to run events to me? What's the accused motive behind this implied seedings?

Profit?

I mean he took money and then provided a comically unacceptable tournament that forced players to drop and the event to end prematurely. Perhaps if he had secured a proper venue that knew what was going on, or was getting any money from the event?that wouldn't have occurred. 

12 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

And speaking of which, the streamer of the event, Hexiled Gaming, got kicked from his streaming room as well.

Arthur Kelly has been a long time problem.

Scott has said nothing but kind things about Arthur on the reddit post though.

3 minutes ago, Tbetts94 said:

Scott has said nothing but kind things about Arthur on the reddit post though.

Yeah I was just reading that. But I've heard several stories over the years about Arthur and his issues.

Edited by MegaSilver

Thanks for you effort to warn the community about potential bad organized tournaments.

I dislike two things in the writeup,

First, the term of "community leaders"; maybe its just cause im german and i have a problem with self proclaimed leaders. 

Second, it seems to me the whole point of the writeup is "blame and shame".

Instead of searching contact to the person, thanking him for his efforts but pointing out some stuff you think went wrong and asking if there is a chance of improvement, you imply to understand his motives and use a lot of text in a pure destructiv way. 

Apart from that, good you also informed FFG so they can also try to help optimizing the situation.

Edited by Rangor

10 minutes ago, Rangor said:

Instead of searching contact to the person, thanking him for his efforts but pointing out some stuff you think went wrong and asking if there is a chance of improvement, you imply to understand his motives and use a lot of text in a pure destructiv way. 

If even half of the things mentioned in this letter are true, the situation has progressed far beyond the point where a simple sit-down is going to solve it.

5 hours ago, Rangor said:

Thanks for you effort to warn the community about potential bad organized tournaments.

I dislike two things in the writeup,

First, the term of "community leaders"; maybe its just cause im german and i have a problem with self proclaimed leaders. 

Apart from that, good you also informed FFG so they can also try to help optimizing the situation.

Arthur has been sat down and talked to several times. these events are the culmination of several years of people settling the issue quietly. 

here's an imgur thread of him being caught lying to destiny players a few years back. https://imgur.com/gallery/lZWNS?fbclid=IwAR2PtpJwzVnNKqcQp_nD-jRfVYd16kEvJVJhOtbxMIAHEvlZeaEhZ4Qgbx4

Edited by nikk whyte

7 hours ago, Rangor said:

...maybe its just cause im german and i have a problem with self proclaimed leaders...

...Apart from that, good you also informed FFG so they can also try to help optimizing the situation.

I gotta say, applauding him for helping optimize a situation is the most German thing I've read in awhile.  

A group of players from my area in NC went to that Lexington Tourney, when I heard from them it was quote: "The biggest **** show of a tournament I've ever been to."  This is from a guy who has played X-Wing since before 1.0 wave 6 (Scum and Villany release).

He overheard employees talking about the tournament being over by 5:00pm and laughed thinking it was a joke.  He spoke with them about it and they had no clue how our tournament work or how long they normally went.

I heard about the two 5-0 players being told in the first few minutes of their match that they have to pack it up and leave the room they were in immediately or be kicked out of the store, so they final salvoed and packed up their stuff and waited for the cut rather than being kicked out of the store.

He told me about the guys who were kind enough to stream the games, being told they had to pack up their stuff because the store needed the space all of a sudden.

He said the manager/owner of the store basically bribed the 0 win or 1 win players to drop.

Kudos to Nikk Whyte for posting this, hopefully we can avoid dealing with the guy who caused this any more.

It's certainly a shame to hear all of these things. 

I attended the tournament and did overhear some confusion regarding when we would be finished. I also had players from the stream room, asked how their game was over so quick, say they were forced to a salvo and that the stream had to move.

But I will say that I heard these things while having an enjoyable day of X-wing. So while it certainly sounds like things could be better, it wasn't a total bust.

39 minutes ago, Burius1981 said:

A group of players from my area in NC went to that Lexington Tourney, when I heard from them it was quote: "The biggest **** show of a tournament I've ever been to."  This is from a guy who has played X-Wing since before 1.0 wave 6 (Scum and Villany release).

He overheard employees talking about the tournament being over by 5:00pm and laughed thinking it was a joke.  He spoke with them about it and they had no clue how our tournament work or how long they normally went.

I heard about the two 5-0 players being told in the first few minutes of their match that they have to pack it up and leave the room they were in immediately or be kicked out of the store, so they final salvoed and packed up their stuff and waited for the cut rather than being kicked out of the store.

He told me about the guys who were kind enough to stream the games, being told they had to pack up their stuff because the store needed the space all of a sudden.

He said the manager/owner of the store basically bribed the 0 win or 1 win players to drop.

Kudos to Nikk Whyte for posting this, hopefully we can avoid dealing with the guy who caused this any more.

few things to correct here:

the store didnt bribe anyone, and is also a weird victim in all this. 

Arthur Kelly picks stores with no community, who have never held x-wing events to host because they wont ask him questions. he keeps all registration fees, and gives out about 8 dollars worth of participation prizes that you cant use (alt art damage decks being billed as the hot item). 

don't blame the store, as they honestly didn't know much better, and when time came for actual paying customers to use the space that they actually pay for, we got this mess. 

31 minutes ago, RebelRogue said:

It's certainly a shame to hear all of these things. 

I attended the tournament and did overhear some confusion regarding when we would be finished. I also had players from the stream room, asked how their game was over so quick, say they were forced to a salvo and that the stream had to move.

But I will say that I heard these things while having an enjoyable day of X-wing. So while it certainly sounds like things could be better, it wasn't a total bust.

its not about the day itself. this is at least the 4th instance in which Arthur Kelly and BoardCrunch have been at the heart of an incident involving the gaming communities that we frequent. its a pattern of behavior that has extended for years and at least once required police involvement. 

this person and their enterprise are not in good standing with the gaming community. 

1 hour ago, nikk whyte said:

few things to correct here:

the store didnt bribe anyone, and is also a weird victim in all this. 

Arthur Kelly picks stores with no community, who have never held x-wing events to host because they wont ask him questions. he keeps all registration fees, and gives out about 8 dollars worth of participation prizes that you cant use (alt art damage decks being billed as the hot item). 

don't blame the store, as they honestly didn't know much better, and when time came for actual paying customers to use the space that they actually pay for, we got this mess. 

tyty

The bribing people to drop was hear say, my fault.

I understand that the store owner/manager/employees didn't set the tournament up, but it was my understanding that the woman who owned the store got really mad about the situation and was not polite or understanding to the X-Wing players.  I wasn't there, I don't know what actually happened.  I do know that the three guys from my area said they would never go back to that store, and the one I spoke to at some length about the tournament felt like the X-Wing players were mistreated.

It's not OK for them to take their frustrations out on the X-Wing players since they didn't cause the issue either, so I wouldn't say the store is 100% innocent in this.

1 hour ago, nikk whyte said:

its not about the day itself. this is at least the 4th instance in which Arthur Kelly and BoardCrunch have been at the heart of an incident involving the gaming communities that we frequent. its a pattern of behavior that has extended for years and at least once required police involvement. 

this person and their enterprise are not in good standing with the gaming community. 

I understand your point. I wasn't trying to detract from it because on the basis on the evidence you've provided I'd say your case seems pretty solid and people probably should know not to work with the guy.

Even before the event, I thought the BoardCrunch people (not knowing who that might be) were poorly organized and could have provided information in a clearer fashion.

But my point was this, as a mid-level gaming-community-member I was able to go to a hyperspace trial within reasonable driving distance for a day trip and have 6 fun games of X-wing. I enjoyed myself. 

I'm sorry if this guy is a problem from an organizer's standpoint. But from a simple attendee's perspective, I can say that I went to an event that was evidently an osik show that should never have happened and I had a fun day. Otherwise said, X-wing is so much fun you can go to a bad event and have a good time.

14 minutes ago, RebelRogue said:

... X-wing is so much fun you can go to a bad event and have a good time.

Absolutely true!

It's a real shame when tournaments are poorly organized/run though, more so when you drive three or four hours for one.  Hopefully all the information Nykk found will help keep this Arthur Kelly fella away from our or anyone else's FFG sanctioned events.

I was one of the players who was dropped after the 5th game. I was called to the front and told I would not be eligible for the top 16 because of my rank after 5 rounds. Arthur gave me a bunch of tokens and a couple of damage decks to make up for the 6th match. Later, I heard a couple of players from Alabama complaining about the situation and saw the guy streaming moving his setup as the store filled up with players in a tournament for another game. 

I was one of the players complaining from Alabama. This is unprecedented. I was frustrated to pay to play the number of rounds set by the TO then to be short changed a game due to someone else’s communication errors. I had also visited the liquor store next door, so I was probably more upset than was warranted. I had a bad day in regards to my play then this just poured salt in the wound. Never had a run in with Arthur prior to this but I knew of his history from Destiny forums/Facebook. I think that he did his best to accommodate forcing me to drop my last round but I still felt frustrated/disappointed by the decision that was made.