Dr Lucky

Legion Paint Sets Announced on FFG Live!

Well first thoughts: it's a year to late and mostly targeting new minature players. Would be great as a start with a test figure or 2 in the box.

Will be nice if they release a clone wars version Day One of release. Not sure if ffg can deliver thought going by their track record.

Second thought. God dang, I don't need that many paints, they're just re-skinned old ones, but who can really say no to star wars paints...here's my money.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dardura said:

why don't you use GW paints? don't like them?

They're ok. I've first used them since I believe 1997. In that time, the price per ml has outpaced inflation but the quality hasn't really changed so they've been priced out by Vallejo which is essentially the same thing. I've used a lot of paints that people said were the same as Citadel, they never were, but Vallejo is. Their white is way better than Citadel's in my opinion. So when I need Citadel's overall balance of qualities I reach for Vallejo.

Citadel inks aren't any help once I discovered Liquitex. The pigment density is so high sometimes I use it to increase the opacity of paint!

Windsor & Newton has much denser pigment that Citadel, if I need truly bright colors, Citadel can't compete. Once, I took a year off from model paints and used about 12 W&N tubes and a color wheel, changed my life.

Apple Barrel is for teaching kids to paint. And sometimes for scenery.

Acrylic medium replaces the need for Citadel washes.

Just because of Teri Litorco's videos I'll buy these paint sets  if they're Army Painter washes.

Edited by TauntaunScout

Posted (edited)

While I appreciate the effort with these, I’m so tired of game companies releasing these obtusely named rebranded paints.  Make an imperial color set, but leave the names as they are in the original line; it’s so irritating if you try to color match after.

/end rant.  I don’t expect this opinion to be popular.

Edited by joewrightgm

Great idea! I’m currently using Vallejo paints myself and find them quite wonderful, but am totally willing to give these a shot when I need to pick up some more paint. 

1 hour ago, TheEldarGuy said:

Are these paints "Sorastro Approved"?

I want a big red sticker with "As used by Sorastro!", otherwise, I'll stick with my 200 or so Citadel/Vallejo paints.

Sorastro has been known to use Army Painter in the past.  These sets tend to be a bit more basic than he uses, though.  One of his Imperial Assault videos might use 30 paints.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheEldarGuy said:

I want a big red sticker with "As used by Sorastro!", otherwise, I'll stick with my 200 or so Citadel/Vallejo paints.

@Sorastro uses almost literally everything. I swear he is trying out a new brand every other video.

Which is great, you get your eyes on what new tools have become available, complete with a great demonstration of what they can do.

Edited by aniron

7 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

They're ok. I've first used them since I believe 1997. In that time, the price per ml has outpaced inflation but the quality hasn't really changed so they've been priced out by Vallejo which is essentially the same thing. I've used a lot of paints that people said were the same as Citadel, they never were, but Vallejo is. Their white is way better than Citadel's in my opinion. So when I need Citadel's overall balance of qualities I reach for Vallejo.

Citadel inks aren't any help once I discovered Liquitex. The pigment density is so high sometimes I use it to increase the opacity of paint!

Windsor & Newton has much denser pigment that Citadel, if I need truly bright colors, Citadel can't compete. Once, I took a year off from model paints and used about 12 W&N tubes and a color wheel, changed my life.

Apple Barrel is for teaching kids to paint. And sometimes for scenery.

Acrylic medium replaces the need for Citadel washes.

Just because of Teri Litorco's videos I'll buy these paint sets  if they're Army Painter washes.

It's good to now. Never have read anyone talking so well of "others" and comparing it to Citadel making this one lose to it against. Thanks, will take a thought about it

5 hours ago, TheEldarGuy said:

If there aren't, they will since he is the official painter for FFG, so with a 99% of certenty he will be using them in future videos

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Zerker said:

It won't take long for someone to publish an AP equivalent list assuming they are part of the standard range. And not much longer for conversion charts.

On the Army Painter D&D sets they say on the side of the bottle what the original AP name is so if you run out just go grab that colour  

They have a few exclusive mixes to the D&D set and you can also buy those individually. 

Hopefully they continue the trend! Just saves a bit of hassle it’s a nice touch. 

Edited by NemesisEGUK
Clarity

So many grays and browns and desaturated colors... Very Star Warsy but these are very easy to mix yourself from brighter colors.  I've become a master of desaturation with Imperial Assault 🙄

But I suppose these are helpful for newcomers and keeping the hues consistent for whole armies. Still, 38 bottles of drab... 🤔

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dardura said:

It's good to now. Never have read anyone talking so well of "others" and comparing it to Citadel making this one lose to it against. Thanks, will take a thought about it

I also used a lot of Reaper but it never really worked for me. So I stopped.  I used Partha paints which weren’t much better but are defunct now anyways. 

Edited by TauntaunScout

Gotta scratch my head at this one.  if this had been announced a year to a year and a half ago, it would have made sense.  Now?  Not so much.  New players, sure, but they've missed all of us by not releasing this sooner, and it's not like they just now realized people were painting their figures.  If they were going to tie these into the expected wave of Clone Wars players, you'd have thought they'd announce Clone Wars factions paint packs as well.

41 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

Gotta scratch my head at this one.  if this had been announced a year to a year and a half ago, it would have made sense.  Now?  Not so much.  New players, sure, but they've missed all of us by not releasing this sooner, and it's not like they just now realized people were painting their figures.  If they were going to tie these into the expected wave of Clone Wars players, you'd have thought they'd announce Clone Wars factions paint packs as well.

I’m guessing those will be announced soon, possibly near the announcement of more Clone Wars content with the idea you can get it all at once.

52 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

You can buy a jug of white, a jug of coppery brass, and a jug of dark gray metal. also comes with a small bottle of black,  tan, and a limited edition "Hello There" for Obi Wan's beard. You're on your own for lightsabers.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

I'm wondering if Army painter isn't the one who approached FFG rather than the other way around. It's possible this is a new Edit: continuation of an old marketing tactic to help compete with other paint companies. Warlord games also recently partnered with Army Painter. This would also explain why the paint sets are "late," or at least later than would have been the most profitable.  

Edited by Caimheul1313

1 hour ago, Caimheul1313 said:

I'm wondering if Army painter isn't the one who approached FFG rather than the other way around. It's possible this is a new marketing tactic to help compete with other paint companies. Warlord games also recently partnered with Army Painter. This would also explain why the paint sets are "late," or at least later than would have been the most profitable.  

It's not really a new tactics, Army Painter started releasing paint sets for different games years ago (Zombicide, Kings of War, etc). They parnered up with FFG in 2017 (Runewars paint sets).

8 minutes ago, Ubul said:

It's not really a new tactics, Army Painter started releasing paint sets for different games years ago (Zombicide, Kings of War, etc). They parnered up with FFG in 2017 (Runewars paint sets).

Right, forgot about the Zombicide sets since that's not a game I'm into. Didn't know about the Runewars set. Still, it's possible Army Painter approaches the companies rather than the other way around. 

It may be late to the game some but I still think its a good move. It's more options and as already been mentioned good for beginners. It helps to have just the "right" color they need. Helps to prevent that overwhelmed feeling many get with the idea of mixing their own colors at the begining. Once they get a feel for it and start to branch out they will almost certainly start to mix paint lines.

I personally mostly use Vallejo and Liquitex, but I do have other lines because thats what I could find at the time.