Jump to content
Dr Lucky

Legion Paint Sets Announced on FFG Live!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Is anyone watching this on FFG Live?  They've announced three paint sets for Star Wars: Legion!

Here's the link to the official article: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/5/9/bring-your-army-to-life/

A base Legion set and two add-on sets with extra specific colors for Rebels and Imperials.

The specifics are pretty thin at this point but it look obvious that the paints will be manufactured by Army Painter with FFG branding.  They have the same dropper bottles and lid colors as the regular Army Painter line, and it looks like the same washes.  I'm not sure if the actual paint colors are the same with different branding or if they are totally new colors.

Edit: Looks like the Legion Core paint set is 16 paints and 2 washes (plus two brushes) for $49.95.  The Rebel set is 9 additional paint colors plus 1 duplicate wash color (Strong Tone), while the Imperial set is 8 additional paint colors, a varnish, and 1 duplicate wash color (Shadow), for $29.95 each.  That seems generally in-line with what I would expect.

Edited by Dr Lucky
Added link and details from article.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr Lucky said:

Is anyone watching this on FFG Live?  They've announced three paint sets for Star Wars: Legion!

A base Legion set and two add-on sets with extra specific colors for Rebels and Imperials.  They said an official announcement article is coming later today.

The specifics are pretty thin at this point but it look obvious that the paints will be manufactured by Army Painter with FFG branding.  They have the same dropper bottles and lid colors as the regular Army Painter line, and it looks like the same washes.  I'm not sure if the actual paint colors are the same with different branding or if they are totally new colors.

from what little i just saw they are the same colors just its a kit to get the same color scheme most of the painted models they use for the professional pics for news articles. so if you want to the same colors they used for go for it but its not that impressive of announcement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Army painter is fine, but personally I prefer Vallejo paints. It'll probably just be a repackaging of existing paints since most of the colors needed already exist. 

This is a good way to help people new to unpainted miniature wargames get a paint collection started.  

This is really about how I feel on it.  I generally use a combination of GW and Vallejo paints but I've got a handful of Army Painter bottles here and there.  At this point, I don't need to pick up new full paint sets.  However, this looks quite promising for new players or people struggling to get started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dr Lucky said:

This is really about how I feel on it.  I generally use a combination of GW and Vallejo paints but I've got a handful of Army Painter bottles here and there.  At this point, I don't need to pick up new full paint sets.  However, this looks quite promising for new players or people struggling to get started.

Agreed, or people who want their models to look similar to the examples. I prefer to deviate, but that's partially due to having more than a few years of painting minis at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the paint sets that are setup for specific factions come out along with the Clone Wars factions. As a potential new player wanting to get into the game because of the new Clone Wars stuff, I'd be interested in seeing a Separatist paint set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I use a combination of Vallejo, Windsor & Newton, Liquitex, Pactra, Apple Barrel, Foundry, Howard Hues, and have used others that I no longer do. Also I have a bunch of Citadel that I'm slowly using up and won't replace when it's gone. This is without touching the subject of spray paints.

Army Painter is really hard to find around me, so I've never used it. I am thinking the shops that carry Legion will start having this in stock, and I'll try it. I wonder if they'll ship free crates of it to the youtube painters to get them to only use it in their videos.

I'm also really hoping this gets FFG to institute something like a 3-color rule for their tournaments.

 

 

Edited by TauntaunScout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cusm said:

And we have another mystery number. SWL51 is unknown.

The paint sets are SWS numbers, not SWL. SWL51 is the card pack. SWS51 is the number you mean.

11 minutes ago, RStan said:

I hope the paint sets that are setup for specific factions come out along with the Clone Wars factions. As a potential new player wanting to get into the game because of the new Clone Wars stuff, I'd be interested in seeing a Separatist paint set. 

Probably. "Sandcrawler Rust" looks close to what they used for the B1s in the previews. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Great for new comers though!

This.

This is exactly why FFG did this.

Think about how many people are picking up Legion that have never played a miniatures wargame, much less painted a miniature before.  This is a smart move on FFG's part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Figures..  I just bought a bunch of paints finally.    I think this is a great idea.    

I would love if these were Vallejo as they are hard to find for me, but it is likely army painter rebrands.   

I'll have to email FFG to see if they are indeed and if these are all mineral based and what the brushes are made from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I would love if these were Vallejo as they are hard to find for me, but it is likely army painter rebrands.   

Not likely. It’s confirmed they are Army Painter.

 

25 minutes ago, NeonWolf said:

Think about how many people are picking up Legion that have never played a miniatures wargame, much less painted a miniature before.  This is a smart move on FFG's part.

Well, a year and change ago, that was me. I had been playing xwing but that’s all prepainted so I had zero experience in the hobbyist side of gaming.

And now I find the hobbyist side almost the more fun side. Love getting the game played, but it’s almost more fun just to admire the thematic board and see everyone’s painted up minis. I have enough terrain for 1.5 boards easy... maybe a super dense one board. Most of it is my design. 

xwing is still my go to for gaming at the FLGS - faster games, easy set up and tear down, and really great game mechanics. Legion is my “hey everybody let’s invade someone’s house and have a full day party around the wargame board”. I hosted a 1200 point two versus two match for May 4. 6 hours of gaming epicness around an Endor themed world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kingsguard said:

Will they be sold singly? I'd hate to run out of one of the core set paints and need to buy a whole new core set of paints.

as of right now its just the kits, but i'm sure army painter will have some for sale as individuals in that name soon, btw most of those colors are out you just have to match it from other kits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I missed that.   Was it in the article?  

I didn't see it either but maybe it was on the live feed. But they look like Army Painter bottles rather than Vallejo. The top of the bottle under the cap is more curved in the current Vallejo range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, azeronbloodmoone said:

... i'm sure army painter will have some for sale as individuals in that name soon, btw most of those colors are out you just have to match it from other kits

It won't take long for someone to publish an AP equivalent list assuming they are part of the standard range. And not much longer for conversion charts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

I use a combination of Vallejo, Windsor & Newton, Liquitex, Pactra, Apple Barrel, Foundry, Howard Hues, and have used others that I no longer do. Also I have a bunch of Citadel that I'm slowly using up and won't replace when it's gone. This is without touching the subject of spray paints.

Army Painter is really hard to find around me, so I've never used it. I am thinking the shops that carry Legion will start having this in stock, and I'll try it. I wonder if they'll ship free crates of it to the youtube painters to get them to only use it in their videos.

I'm also really hoping this gets FFG to institute something like a 3-color rule for their tournaments.

 

 

why don't you use GW paints? don't like them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I missed that.   Was it in the article?  

Apparently it was mentioned in the recent FFG Live stream.

20 minutes ago, DewbackScout said:

Fail. No Dewback color in the Imperial set.

Nor a Tauntaun colour in the Rebel set so you and Tauntaunscout can both be disappointed.

1 hour ago, Dardura said:

why don't you use GW paints? don't like them?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I prefer dropper bottles, and some GW paints are overpriced. I still make use of some of the newer effects paints though so I don't have to bother thinning/thickening my own paints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I'll have to email FFG to see if they are indeed and if these are all mineral based and what the brushes are made from.

As far as whether they are mineral based - they were very clear on stream that the paints are water-based acrylics (which is inline with them being manufactured by Army Painter, though pretty typical for standard gaming miniatures paint in any event).  I don't remember him saying on stream what the brushes were made from, but based on the care advice he was providing, it is advice much more applicable to natural brushes than synthetic.

Edited by Dr Lucky
Typo correction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems good.  Generally, I only pickup paint sets for lots of oddball, but very similar colors (recent project with some IDF infantry and I'll be damned if I'm going to color match all of that), but I could definitely see a newer player being helped out especially someone who hasn't done this before and doesn't have a pile of random paints like the veterans do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...