Sign in to follow this  
K13R4N

Grand Championship Nationals

In the UK at the Games Expo there is a Tournament that the tickets are saying is the Grand Nationals. Is there any information about this event?

Eg. Format, hyperspace or extended?

Posted (edited)

The event is Extended.

6rds. We don't know what record you need to make the cut on day 2, yet. Last year, it required 5-1.

Originally, when Nationals were Hyperspace Cups, it was HS format. 

UK organiser posted info that the format had changed to Extended last week on Monday (10 days ago) on UK Facebook. This was a change imposed from above, as we understand it. And the UK organisers couldn't do anything about it, sadly.

This caused a bit of drama. As people had bought tickets based on it being HS. Also, it means that with Nationals, Continentals (Gencon and Euros) and Worlds all being Extended, there is no major HS format event.

Ultimately, Xwing is fun, so we will all cope and have a good time despite the format.

Edited by Darth Seridur

Thanks everyone for the info. I have to admit I'm surprised FFg have not relised any news regarding prizes and normal information for nationals as it is a fairly big event.

22 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

It's extended with 8 invites.

how you make the cut is a good question though.

Making day two requires a minimum of a 6-1 record...  That's going to be rough even there. Then some kind of play off on Sunday to make cut? Yikes.

I'll probably just bring something silly and have fun. Forget cut.

I...uh...well, I'm glad GenCon isn't a System Open, already did one of those.  I wonder what kind of dumpster fire the meta will be by then.

Kind of weird that Grand Championships (Nationals) only give out Worlds invites to top 4.  You'd figure that'd be more prestigious than a System Open.

50 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Making day two requires a minimum of a 6-1 record...  That's going to be rough even there. Then some kind of play off on Sunday to make cut? Yikes.

I'll probably just bring something silly and have fun. Forget cut.

Especially at the UK Expo! So much other awesome stuff to do there 

The only prizes I've seen are the sort of high-end prizes... 

image0.jpg

winner gets this tray and this dice-shaped trophy

image2.jpg

top 16 get these? Not sure how that's going to work

image1.jpg

not sure who gets these. Top 32 maybe? 

That's 7 cards in that image, and apparently there's 7 games before the cut.

Therefore, speculation: each player gets one of those cards for each game they win, and then the Top 16 get an additional copy of all 7 cards.

2 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

It's extended with 8 invites.

how you make the cut is a good question though.

It's on Gencons website already. Theres a day 1a and 1b. 7 rounds. All 6-1s and 7-0s make cut. Note that that is Gencon, the prizes below are for NOVA here in the US and we don't have information for tthat yet. 

5 minutes ago, IndyPendant said:

That's 7 cards in that image, and apparently there's 7 games before the cut.

Therefore, speculation: each player gets one of those cards for each game they win, and then the Top 16 get an additional copy of all 7 cards.

This was explained on FFG OP FB. 

Top 16 of each faction, regardless of placement, get a card matching the faction they are playing. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

It's on Gencons website already. Theres a day 1a and 1b. 7 rounds. All 6-1s and 7-0s make cut. Note that that is Gencon, the prizes below are for NOVA here in the US and we don't have information for tthat yet. 

Ah, I hadn't even looked at the event list yet.  The short description is great, whole lotta ampersand usage!  I guess Resistance, First Order, Republic and Separatists don't get to play!  

"Join the fight between the Rebellion, Empire, & Scum & Villainy & compete for the title of North American Champion! Prizes for the top tier as well as participation prizes will be awarded."

18 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

Top 16 of each faction, regardless of placement, get a card matching the faction they are playing. 

Not very...concisely.

Edited by gennataos

2 hours ago, AngryAlbatross said:

I am glad that they are calling these 'Grand Championships'.  It means I can finally have my adoring fan follow me around when I get around to winning one.

this is not a reference I was expecting today...