Sign in to follow this  
Guest Not In Sample

Finn and his starting Bank Loan

Guest Not In Sample

BankLoan.png

As you can see the card specificly says that you gain $10 when you take the card. Why would Finn not gain $10?

"Q: Does Finn Edwards get an extra $10 for the Loan? What happens if he doesn't pay it back?
A: "Finn has already taken out the loan. The extra money is represented in his stats and starting items, etc. He can always choose not to pay it, and he can't lose his items. Because of this, I just gave him a Bank Loan to start the game and went ahead and worked the extra $$ into his starting setup." - KW"

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/409354/innsmouth-faq

IIRC, the default is $25 worth of possessions, Finn has more than that, hence the BL.

Guest Not In Sample

Thank you.

And why does Wendy has way less than $25? She has

$3

3 clues ($6)

Elder Sign ($5)

1 common item ($3)

Overall $17...

yes, she has 2 extra focus points but I thought that was because she has -1 maximum sanity and -1 maximum stamina (worth $8)

this doesn't make any sense

Probably because she has great abilities and bonus focus points. It makes sense.

Go tell me why Daisy has a bonus focus point and Tony is missing $1 from starting funds!

Guest Not In Sample

Tibs said:

and bonus focus points. It makes sense.

kroen said:

yes, she has 2 extra focus points but I thought that was because she has -1 maximum sanity and -1 maximum stamina (worth $8)

this doesn't make any sense

And $1 isn't as severe as $8. "great abilities"? her second ability is useless and while her first ability is great, there are MANY investigators with great abilities that don't get less money because of that. Mandy, Patrice and Daisy all more better abilities than Wendies and I'm sure there are more and none of them recieves a penalty to starting possessions.

p.s. forgot each bonus focus costs $8 and she has 2 extra focus so it does make sense, sorry.

Streetwise gives her free reign in IH, plopping down Clues without having to roll. Or if you want, sit her at Joe Sargent's now no monster can move to the vortex off Joe Sargent's, nor does she need to roll to evade them. Stats put Wendy as the most winningest KH investigator at 69%, only beaten by the usual suspects (Mandy, Patrice, Joe and Jacqueline) as well as two surprises (at least for me), Carolyn and Ashcan.

Guest Not In Sample

Seriously? what's so good about Aschan? 3 speed is horrible.

kroen said:

Seriously? what's so good about Aschan? 3 speed is horrible.

Old Journal, King in Yellow, Eltdown Shards, Dhole Chants, Livre D'Ivon, and last but not least crowbar (even though I have a houserule banning the crowbar exploit).

And good combat stats.

As for Wendy, she has great speed, great luck, great focus, she essentially starts off with eight clues (and pushes back the doom track one), and it's almost impossible for a monster to catch her if you play her properly.

Guest Not In Sample

But you allow the tomes exploit of which you just talked about :/ Sure, drawing the entire common item deck is bad, but reading Old Journal every turn is pretty bad too. I'm surprised of you.

kroen said:

But you allow the tomes exploit of which you just talked about :/ Sure, drawing the entire common item deck is bad, but reading Old Journal every turn is pretty bad too. I'm surprised of you.

IMO, Ashcan + Tomes isn't an exploit, hell, it's his only ability. That's like not using Marie's ability to remove a doomer (or two with the PS) or Jacqueline to discard a horrible Mythos card. Crowbar as far as I understand requires additional cards to make the broken combo (Crystal of Elder Things + Shroud of Shadow I think the combo is), though Pete with his Sneak 6 can work Crowbar decently on his own. Or he could just fail the roll and get arrested, that's time wasted.

Guest Not In Sample

6 sneak isn't all that useful when you only have 1 focus...

I think the idea for using Crowbar is to camp at South Church or Newspaper, using Crowbar while fishing for good encounters. Or in KH, spamming the William Bain location in hopes of removing a doomer. If you're not even going to move, Speed 0 is irrelevant.

Guest Not In Sample

what is this "camping" you speak of? you do realize crowbar is one-time-use only, right?

Crowbar says to discard it first if you're going to use it to steal. If you're Ashcan Pete you can choose to take back the Crowbar as your first reward, and take other items too.

Personally I'm only allowing the Crowbar to go underneath the CI deck after the user takes his items. Stupid Black Goat expansion.

Guest Not In Sample

I agree. not to mention sh*tty items like soul gem or milk of shub niggurath and naccal key

but even they aren't as sh*tty as tasks and mission. I've house ruled that whenever an ivnestigator draws a task/mission, even after starting equipment and even when shopping, he can discard it and draw a new card.

btw do you have any idea of to how to un-dilute exhibit items?

kroen said:

I agree. not to mention sh*tty items like soul gem or milk of shub niggurath and naccal key

but even they aren't as sh*tty as tasks and mission. I've house ruled that whenever an ivnestigator draws a task/mission, even after starting equipment and even when shopping, he can discard it and draw a new card.

btw do you have any idea of to how to un-dilute exhibit items?

Soul Gem? Blah. Naacal Key? Blargh. Milk of SN? Well hold on there... that one can be extremely useful. Even if you're not using Kingsport, you can still dump monsters off in places like Velma's or Administration Building, where they won't bother anyone for a while.

As for the Exhibit item issue? No, I have no ideas. But I haven't minded their rarity so much, because there are lots of mythos cards that are pushovers if investigators have EIs (Cursed Relics for example).

Guest Not In Sample

the Milk is only really good if combined with the Flute

it's sad that the milk won't let you live to fight the monsters... THEN it would be awesome

and what about that tome messa thingy that awakens the ancient one? 100% useless

kroen said:

the Milk is only really good if combined with the Flute

it's sad that the milk won't let you live to fight the monsters... THEN it would be awesome

and what about that tome messa thingy that awakens the ancient one? 100% useless

Well the same issue is with the Flute. Using the Milk makes you insane, you'd need to come back later or have someone else step in and use the Flute. Likewise you could go insane with the Milk and then come back later without the Flute and fight the monsters.

Messa is from Kingsport. It's not completely useless, but most of the time yes it's a space filler in my inventory.

Tibs said:

Milk of SN? Well hold on there... that one can be extremely useful. Even if you're not using Kingsport, you can still dump monsters off in places like Velma's or Administration Building, where they won't bother anyone for a while.

Also, if you have one very strong investigator, you can charge him or her into the new stack of monsters (saving several turns of trophy hunting). Assuming you don't have a Flute, or someone to kamikazee with a time bomb (it should wipe out most of the stack if set for zero).

Messa is useful against Yibb Tsill and Hastur.  It's also useful any time you want to go into final battle prepared (i.e. with all your blessings still intact).

Tibs said:

Crowbar says to discard it first if you're going to use it to steal. If you're Ashcan Pete you can choose to take back the Crowbar as your first reward, and take other items too.

Personally I'm only allowing the Crowbar to go underneath the CI deck after the user takes his items. Stupid Black Goat expansion.

;') I have the same fix.  Except I only do that with Shroud.  If someone wants to take the risk of arrest for item theft, that's their right.  But if someone wants to use a combo to steal an entire deck in one turn...  Well...  No.  Although it's a bit funny in theory.  Ashcan Pete breaks into the store, kills its owners, and takes all their property (thematically speaking), or perhaps he makes them his new pets (along with Duke), which is why you'll still see them in the General Store encounters (there are two owners, right? I vaguely remember there being a Shopkeeper's wife).