Sign in to follow this  
SkyknightXi

Where should the next expansion cycle go?

I really liked that the Serpent people and the Yithians were at odds with each other in TFA.  I really loved that story in TFA over all.  It was a very different type of story from the other cycles which was very welcome.

25 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

The Ythians weren't out of theme, though. They fit quite well. Plus Kn'yan is established material too. 

I haven't seen Kn'yan in any of FFG's other games.  Some people only really know the Mythos from the games.

I will say I like how it all came together.  Plus it changed how I think about Yithians.  I use to think they were cool.  Now I hate them.

1 hour ago, Jobu said:

I haven't seen Kn'yan in any of FFG's other games.  Some people only really know the Mythos from the games.

I will say I like how it all came together.  Plus it changed how I think about Yithians.  I use to think they were cool.  Now I hate them.

I had the opposite reaction. I thought they were kind of shruggy shoulders, but having sided with them in one playthrough, I felt like they may have had a point. But I was Calvin and permanently stuck as one of them, sooooo I was probably biased.

Thr ythians wasn't absolutely out of theme just because of the time theme. But the use of the real kn'yan inhabitants <ould have been more coherent with the lovecraftian setting. I will tell the story as a lot of people doesn't know it. 

In the novella "the Mound" by Zelia Bishop ( but Lovecraft is the real ghost autor ) we are in oklahoma. Here, someone go in a village where ghosts of indians appear at the top of a mound. The protagonist go and find here some writing notes. The notes are the diary of a spanish man that was searching El Dorado. He go on the council of a indian at the mouth of a big cavern. The blue-liten Kn'yan. Here, is meet the inhabitants : indian-looking alien, that are telepath, can teleport themselfs. Their are immortals. The man is prisonner of them, in their city of Tsath as he is usefull for his knowledge. Here, he learn about Yoth and N'kai. 

But he try to escape. By use a friend in the people, and the slaves beast of these peoples, he his at the limit of escaping but his taking alive and by torture and necromancy is now a guard of an entry of the cavern, the mound. 

That would have more interesting than Ythians, because they don't are linked to the snake peoples, or the underground world. The kn'yan inhabitant are feared of the caverns of the depths. Moreover, it would have been a way to explain about Eztli peoples. Those are aliens, hide themself from civilisation, and have a primitiv people form. Like the inhabitants of the novella. And they make prisonners the protagonist for the exact same reasons than ythians do. The only reason these are not used is that they don't have the artwork to use, and they have a lot for ythians. 

... Out of that, I can see FFG give us the city of kn'yan people and the mound in a tsathoggua cycle. Why would you say ?? The city of inhabitants is named Tsath, because of an ancient cult for the toad-god. This old-one is linked to perversions and amorality. And the kn'yan peoples are a really perverse people, with sadistic rites and a torture's arena. They use a poor-class of slaves, and animate their corpses for the fields work ... This is close to the tsathoggua mind. Then, the N'kai is a cavern of dedicated to this great old one, and is linked to the mount voormitadreth, on the continent of hyperborea (in the past, full fo sorcerers, necromants, and dinosaurs )  where the black toad was a major deity. I can see a cycle starting in the mound's town, then in the city of Tsath with N'kai, then hyperborea exploration. Hope it would be something real someday ^^

Posted (edited)

The game is still popular and there's still lots of narrative room to explore.   I'd think if we got Tsathoggua (which would be awesome) we'd see alot of the same elements from TFA revisited, which would be interesting.  revisiting themes is not unheard of so far in the LCG.  Also alot more Hyperborean Clark Ashton Smith stuff would be required in a Tsathoggua cycle, which I'd also be super jazzed about.

TFA as said before was more about time.  Since it was about time the Yithians are the real players here.  Yig and his servants are just another interested party and you get caught in the middle.  The Yithians were involved through the whole thing.  Just that wasn't obvious on the first play through.  Honestly I would have been disappointed in a cycle based on time if the Yithians weren't involved.

Add:  Also I was thinking of stuff from the original board game that I'd like to see more explored and I think I'd really like to know more about Darke's Carnival.

Edited by phillos

3 hours ago, Carthoris said:

Darke's Carnival has the makings of an awesome Scenario Pack. Of course, if you haven't read it yet, Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes is the source literature for that one.

I'm sure the book is better, but the movie is genuinely scary.

14 hours ago, Jobu said:

They are in Eldritch HOrror, one of Yig's mysteries is basically just replaying The Mound. 

So the first announced expansion for Arkham 3e includes a gang war scenario. Perhaps we'll be seeing a Criminal-heavy cycle at some point in the future.

On 6/6/2019 at 7:50 AM, Jobu said:

Plus it changed how I think about Yithians.  I use to think they were cool.  Now I hate them.

My headcanon is that Alejandro's Yithians are a rogue faction of Yithians, who have grown weary of repeatedly evacuating their entire race and have decided to take matters into their own pincers.

And, really, can you blame them? Imagine you found yourself ten thousand years in the future, in a civilization descended from cockroaches, and you found out about a cataclysm that wiped out humanity. Wouldn't you try to avert that, even knowing that you're dooming the sapient cockroach-folk to nonexistence?

Yeah, I think that the criminal cycle would come with shub-niggurath. Moreover, the mi-go was told to be in the same expension in the live of this week. So the two are possibly linked.

I don't think Shub-Niggurath would get involved with some random criminals. And are cults are more into being dyonisiacs and orgiastes, rather than fighting gang wars, so I don't think that fits.

Posted (edited)

in the way of a secondary threat, like with the O'bannion in the first cycle. Shub have less lore than cthulhu or hastur. Not a town clearly associated to him, and not a cleat dimension linked too ... I would even prefer a more minor great old one for let the lights to the gangs (The art of Corben Bouchard is so nice ...) but I cannot see one that would fit well. 

I say Shub because that threat would give more spice to an old one that is not so easy to treat than cthulhu or hastur. The other reason is the art of the criminal scenario : fire, and the shadow have the shape of a thoothed mouth on a tree ... I cannot see a lot of ancient ones looking like that.

Edited by phorcys12

8 hours ago, Sindriss said:

Shub-Niggurath never appeared in Lovecraft stories other than its name being shouted occasionally. It would be interesting to see it more fleshed out.

I mean, true, but the Arkham Files have always drawn heavily on Derleth, Bloch, Campbell etc. for her. And the early Call of Cthulhu RPG writers. IF we just had what Lovecraft wrote, we'd have a name and nothing else. No dark young, no children Nug and Yeb, nothing. She barely comes up in Lovecraft. It's generally assumed that the Magna Mater Cybele from Rats in the Walls is her as well, but the text doesn't make that clear and Shub's name is never spoken.

So, if Shub-Niggurath comes up, we can pretty much tell what she'll look like. The same as in the other Arkham Files games, not some wildly new interpretation based on the original Lovecraft.

As with a lot of Lovecraft ideas, there's tons of materials once you go outside of what Lovecraft wrote himself, and the Arkham Files games have always drawn on that. It's not really fan fiction, it's more that Lovecraft had a lot of friends and friends of friends who occasionally wrote in the same universe.

Posted (edited)

Yes, none of the Carcosa stuff is in Lovecraft at all. Although Lovecraft was somewhat inspired by Chambers' King in Yellow, it certainly doesn't make sense to frame the earlier stories as "fan fiction" of the later! HPL was part of a circle of writers whom he encouraged to use his mythemes (particular forbidden books, forgotten gods, New England towns, etc.), and later generations of writers continued to contribute to a resulting "shared universe" on which the Arkham Files is constructed.

Edited by Carthoris

On 6/6/2019 at 5:06 PM, Carthoris said:

Darke's Carnival has the makings of an awesome Scenario Pack. Of course, if you haven't read it yet, Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes is the source literature for that one.

saw the movie that was based on that book. gave me nightmares. and it was a Disney film too, if i'm remembering correctly.  Anyway getting back to Ithaqua /wendigo, maybe have a campaign loosely based on Until Dawn? A Severen Valley/ Goatswood themed campaign could be fun. Good way to introduce Glaaki, Eihort, Y'Golonac, Byatis, ect….

3 hours ago, rsdockery said:

If that means Kate Winthrop, I'm all for it!

Oh yes. I am soo looking forward to her and that would be the perfect cycle for her.