Sign in to follow this  
SkyknightXi

Where should the next expansion cycle go?

I'll admit that with the novella tease of Silas Marsh, the obvious target is Innsmouth/Yha-Nth'lei. (And having heard about Stross's Laundry books, I do hope we get to hear that Yha-Nth'lei is alone among Deep One cities in its desire for conquest. I'm not holding my breath, though.) Nonetheless, while Cthulhu (and, by proxy, Yog-Sothoth once again) is probably going to be popular, I wonder what other Great Old Ones could make for primary antagonists.

I'm just not recalling who the major ones are, beyond Cthulhu and what we currently have, are. And I'm not even sure who the current expansion cycle antagonists are, beyond Yog-Sothoth for Dunwich and Hastur for Carcosa. I'm guessing Nyarlathotep for Forgotten Age and Azathoth for Circle Undone, but that's it. While there are two Great Old Ones I've developed interest in--Abhoth and Y'Golonac--that's mostly because their Arkham Horror 2e mechanics were interesting to me, and for all I know, Urmodhoth is supposed to be a scion of Abhoth.

So, for those with more Mythos knowledge than me, who (besides Cthulhu) should be next?

I'm still holding out hope for a LOTR Saga-style Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign...

Otherwise, I could certainly see us going a bit further afield, to contrast with the Arkham-centric setting of TCU. Africa is an obvious choice, whether Kenya or Egypt. I would absolutely love a campaign dealing with Shudde M'ell where cities start getting destroyed and things really get completely desperate from the very beginning.

Antarctica for the Elder Things might be a bit too similar to The Forgotten Age to be next, but Ithaqua in the Arctic could be possible, whether in Canada or Russia. 

Cthulhu is an obvious possibility that is inevitably going to happen at some point; personally I'd want one campaign in Innsmouth dealing with the Deep Ones and a separate campaign on the seas dealing with Cthulhu, since I'd love to see what they do with boats as a mechanic. 

Dreamlands is certainly likely at some point with several investigators tied to it; would be another possibility for really pushing the design space of the game and making a unique experience. 

There's 55 investigators in Eldritch Horror, and so far we've seen 27 of them; assuming that current rates of 5 or 6 per expansion hold steady, that'll be another 5 cycles before we run out...assuming they don't simply make up more of them... 

15 hours ago, Allonym said:

I'm still holding out hope for a LOTR Saga-style Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign...

Otherwise, I could certainly see us going a bit further afield, to contrast with the Arkham-centric setting of TCU. Africa is an obvious choice, whether Kenya or Egypt. I would absolutely love a campaign dealing with Shudde M'ell where cities start getting destroyed and things really get completely desperate from the very beginning.

Antarctica for the Elder Things might be a bit too similar to The Forgotten Age to be next, but Ithaqua in the Arctic could be possible, whether in Canada or Russia. 

I could go for Mummies & hidden chambers under pyramids.

A 1920s trek to Russia in search of Ithaqua would be cool.  On top of normal threats, Russia had just undergone a regime change and could have any array of human threats from misunderstandings to fear of being spies.

I assume you're talking about LotR's Saga expansions.  That would be cool for Nyarlathotep.

15 hours ago, Allonym said:

There's 55 investigators in Eldritch Horror, and so far we've seen 27 of them; assuming that current rates of 5 or 6 per expansion hold steady, that'll be another 5 cycles before we run out...assuming they don't simply make up more of them... 

They've created seven since wrapping up Arkham Horror 2e, including one in the LCG, so I expect they'll do that as they see fit.  I also think they may opt to release replacement investigators (like the ones in the novellas) after they run out.  That's a few years away, though, so I won't hold my breath.

I'd be on board with them heading to the Far East.  I know someone was wanting an Asian male investigator, seems like as good a place as any to introduce one.

On that line of reasoning, someone was wanting a Native American investigator as well.  There are a lot options in that.  The US is mostly settled at this point, but there are huge swaths of land devoid of immigrants.  Doing it exclusively on a reservation might feel small, but there are plenty of areas where individuals and families left reservations and moved outward, just like Europeans.

This line makes me think of Oklahoma, which makes me remember that the Dust Bowl is coming.  I still think it would be neat if we could get that to be the result of some Ancient One.

Too early for the big C, I reckon Ithaqua, we've not had any cold climate campaigns or scenarios yet. Opens up a wealth of possibilities with new mechanics, weather effects being one. Sadly, I'd like to see the Pyramids and Africa, but I think that's been nerfed for the moment with Guardians and TFA.

Posted (edited)

I would like to see something more grounded that doesn't end in a confrontation with a great old one to decide the fate of the world in a realm beyond time and space.

Edited by cfmcdonald

30 minutes ago, bern1106 said:

Too early for the big C, I reckon Ithaqua, we've not had any cold climate campaigns or scenarios yet. Opens up a wealth of possibilities with new mechanics, weather effects being one. Sadly, I'd like to see the Pyramids and Africa, but I think that's been nerfed for the moment with Guardians and TFA.

TFA?!  Star Wars ruins Africa and the Pyramids now!  The heck?!

Posted (edited)

I always campaign hard for Dreamlands in these sorts of threads because I'd like to see more Dreamlands themed player cards and encounter sets.  Also I think a more fantasy driven horror could be fun to play through and it would be very different from TFA and TCU.  I'd love for it to be about Atlatch Natcha.  I think that would be more fun than Hypnos, but I guess I wouldn't mind Hypnos either.  We got one Cat of Ulthar in the game (and maybe another).  Would be nice to see some Zoog cards.  I'm not confident this will be next though considering they didn't hold onto Carolyn.  If it was coming next you'd figure they would have held her for a cycle and release her there.

I'll also second that a brain cylinder Mi-Go themed adventure would be a nice change of pace. 

I expect we'll get Innsmouth and Deep Ones sooner rather than later though.  It is the go to setting for most Lovecraft themed games and we've gone 5 campaigns so far without really seeing that stuff, which is cool.  I'm happy about that since I like seeing less touched corners of weird fiction, but I don't expect that to last forever. 

Edited by phillos

2 hours ago, phillos said:

I always campaign hard for Dreamlands in these sorts of threads because I'd like to see more Dreamlands themed player cards and encounter sets.  Also I think a more fantasy driven horror could be fun to play through and it would be very different from TFA and TCU.  I'd love for it to be about Atlatch Natcha.  I think that would be more fun than Hypnos, but I guess I wouldn't mind Hypnos either.  We got one Cat of Ulthar in the game (and maybe another).  Would be nice to see some Zoog cards.  I'm not confident this will be next though considering they didn't hold onto Carolyn.  If it was coming next you'd figure they would have held her for a cycle and release her there.

Well there was the Dreamlands expansion for the original Mythos card game by Chaosium and the FFG CCG/LCG had a cycle of Dreamlands cards... so I am also very hopeful it will come here too, it would be a great change of pace...

If FFG decide they like their prelude style scenarios as well a group of dreamers cut off in the dreamlands by some malevolent could serve such a purpose... just saying....

2 hours ago, Carthoris said:

I'm rooting for Mi-Go plus conspiratorial cults of Shub-Niggurath and a brain-cylinder excursion to Yuggoth.

This was totally on my mind too. Take advantage of the LCG's flexible 'board', start on Earth, drink some space mead and get flown by Mi-Go to Yuggoth for an extended stay. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2019 at 7:57 PM, Duciris said:

TFA?!  Star Wars ruins Africa and the Pyramids now!  The heck?!

Umm!! The Forgotten Age and Guardians of the Abyss....you know delving into long lost tombs etc etc..

Edited by bern1106

h, one of my favourites topics  speculation so ... I love that. For the next cycle, cthulhu is a good bait, for Silas principally, and because after two core-box ancient one ( hastur and yog ) we've got two not core ancients, so perhaps another of the first four of the core would coming, but he could wait a little bit. Another possibily is Mountain of madness / Ithaqua / elder things, because we-ve got the promo 2017 player cards of Arkham Nights in the actual cycle, and those cards have a strong connection to the lore : the box is very feeling like a rich cultist device (Lodge) and the 13th vision is linked to the witchs, and the prophecy of the beginning. So the 2018's promo cards are a plant and a feeling-inuit ally. So the plant because of the adventure feeling of an expedition, with confrontation to natura, albinos pinguins, artic bears ... and the ally for the antartica/artica feeling of a cycle Ithaqua and/or Mountain of madness. So for me Cthulhu or Ithaqua. More cthulhu perhaps. 

But I will not stop here : I will say each cycles that can come someday in my mind, and information about each ancient ones I know. 

So the two remainings of the core's agents set first.

1 - Cthulhu - sleeping in the Pacific ocean. Linked with fishy monsters, a lot of cultist, and have a power on the dreams.

We could see a start at Arkham, by Velma's diner, and the docks. One for deep one linked, other because of the previous arts of velma's diner. Then, Hospital perhaps, after, been injuried, we are in it with some medecine drugs that give us a dreamish experience. Then, innsmouth for sure. The town and the hotel, with perhaps a visit to an underwater city of deep one in a dream. Then, a chance to visit haîti. And finally, R'hley, the green sunken city where cthulhu is sleeping. A lot of deep-one, star spawn and fishy monsters ( would love sharks).

2 - Shub-Niggurath. Forest and goat linked. Fertility god. Pretty looking like satan by his cult. More naturish.

Arkham forest, with primitiv cult. Perhaps the Ma boarding house, and mud swamp. A place for orphan woman that are in the cult. Then, a celtic place, like Bretagne of France, Scotlands. Then, mi-go planet, yuggoth. Yaddith, a dhole-lurking planet where shub is sleeping, or Harag-Kolath, cavern under arabia another possible location of the ancient. Don't know what would be the point, but I can see fighting dark youngs, dholes, mi-go, Tcho-Tcho. and perhaps the thousand one as an avatar.

3 - Ithaqua. Looking like a gigantic wendigo/Yeti. Cold ancient one. 

Arkham toundra ?? don't know. A meteorologic study place ?? Then for sure, that will not be too much in arkham, and more like an expedition. So base camp at the rooth of mountain. Perhaps canada. Then, pretty sure about Mountain of madness. I know Ithaqua and these mountains are not on the same continent, but FFG already did some aproximation for the game, as with Kn'yan under mexico, where lovecraft made it under oklahoma. And for the final, the iced dimension of Borea, where live ithaqua. We would fight the natur of the cold wastes, wendigo, perhaps some gnophkeh, and elder things for sure. 

4 - Nyarlathotep. The god to the thousands masks. 

No idea to how treat it in normal cycle. Too much nice places to see : china, australia, egypt, kenya, england ... No, saga-style expensions or nothing. Too much masks to use.

5 - Atlach-Nacha, the human-faced spider, weaver of reality. - Or - Nodens, the elder god, greek god looking like and ruler of dreamlands.

The two can be see in dreamlands cycle. For it, some much places : Kingsports the town of dremers, the underworld, the moon, the stairs and wood at the entry of dreamlands, oriab, leng, kadath, celephais, Sarnath, dilath-leen, ulthar, land of mnar, inquanoth. Soo much places that I would not be deceived to see two cycles in it, one for each god. We would fight against gug, bhole, ghast, moon-beast, men and spiders of leng, zoog ...

6 -  Glaaki, the inhabitant of the lake, giant spinned-slug.  Lurker of the lakes.

He have his own place to be, created by Ramsay Campbell, the England valley of Severn. In this place, lurk this ancient one. He have his own cult, made  of sorcerers and victims of his spines : some sorts of undead after that. Glaaki is sometimes in others lakes around the world, occasion to see it in the miskatonic of Arkham, or in Dunwich, or more exotic places. Moreover, the Severn Valley contains others mythos beings, as Y'Golonac and his parasites, the denizens of S'glhuo, Bokrug and Eihort. Not sure of the way they should exploit it, but it would feel like an horrific feeling, more physical than the specters of the actual one. A final in Shagai is possible, because we don't know where glaaki is born, we can imagine what we want.

7 - Tsathoggua, the black toad. sleeper of N'kai.

Yes, even if his name not being dropped in the forgotten age, some cards reference it. He is an ancient one from the ancient land of Hyperborea. A gigantic green continent, savage, and full of sorcerers towns, necromancer, and some dinosaurs in it, like a fanatasy-world. Tsathoggua, like Atlach-Nacha for some, and the father of abominations, Abboth, live in the cavers of the mount Voormithadreth. This mount is supossed to be linked to the blue-cavern of Kn'yan by two ways. First one : by getting dow in the black cavern of N'kai, you must been near ot the Voormithadreth cavern where lurk the ancient one. Second point : The inhabitant of Kn'yan worship it. We visit Kn'yan the blue cavern in the FA Cycle, but just a part of it. There is a city named after the black toad : Tsath. Very technologically advanced, with alien looking like indians, that can teleport and talk in mind. So we would return to see that and the perversion of those, and the fantasy of the hyperborean continent.

8 - Ghatanothoa, the dark one. The bane.

If there is a true bad-one in the ancient-ones, he is. Amorphous being thatcan petrify anyone with single look, even priest of other ancient-one had try to put it down, like a priest of Shub-niggurath (I don't know well this story, so not sure why). He is a living ****, with lloigors as agents. He was worshipped in the lost continent of Mu, that been drowned. 

Really don't know how to treat this one, or others like Shuddle Me'l, Abboth, or Cthylla, Cthugga ... But there is surely things to do with them. 

As a very tangential hint, one of the council cards (cards created by attendants at conventions) is an ally who looks a lot like an Inuit in her art. Which might be hinting at Ithaqua.

I've only played the prologue of The Circle Undone so not really sure where that is going but in Lovecraft's stories the silver key (which is used to enter the Dreamlands) came to Randolf from his ancestor who was a Salem witch. It feels like a nice segue to go from witches to Dreamalnds.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

As a very tangential hint, one of the council cards (cards created by attendants at conventions) is an ally who looks a lot like an Inuit in her art. Which might be hinting at Ithaqua.

I couldn't tell if Ikiaq was supposed to be Inuit but I looked up some google images and found Jewelry and Inuit tribal markings that look very similar to Ikiaq's (I wonder if this was clarified at the card council)? We also have Aquinnah already, and we're seeing Guiding Spirit coming as well. It could very well be Ithaqua, but maybe we'll get something unexpected? Are there any ancient ones that corrupt plant life or have a tie-in with plants? Both Ikiaq and Dendromorphosis are plant themed.

There doesn't seem to be much plant life in Ikiaq's art either besides snow-covered trees, so it's hard to say.

Ikiaq image below (for those who haven't seen it):

aurore-folny-seed-of-power-ikiaq-auroref

Zushakon might be interesting to see, but we've not yet seen an Ancient One from Henry Kuttner's work since Nyogtha (I think) for Arkham 2nd ed.  Interestingly, Kuttner's work includes a story that has a villain who may be descended from the alchemist Ludwig Prinn who was responsible for De Vermis Mysteriis (which is an upcoming card) :  https://lovecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Zushakon

It is quite a stretch, but this is my favorite part of speculation.

The Mutsun Native American tie-in would be interesting though.

Edited by Soakman

6 hours ago, Soakman said:

I couldn't tell if Ikiaq was supposed to be Inuit but I looked up some google images and found Jewelry and Inuit tribal markings that look very similar to Ikiaq's (I wonder if this was clarified at the card council)?

"Ikiaq" is an Inuit name, so she's definitely Inuit.

yes. Those promo cards tease an Ithaqua/adventure like cycle. But as the cycles are coming as 3 for 2 years (1.5/years) it could be the next cycle cycle, or the one after it, because the Arkham nights are at a speed of 1 per years ... but eventually, FFG can try to hide the signs by giving promo of a cycle to come far from the Arkham Nights in which they are designed those promos text and name (the illustration is ready when they do), end then give some of a near cycles, so we cannot make sure hypothesis about all this, FFG love to suprise us (every one cycles annouced from the very start is surprising me and my expectations ).

Posted (edited)

I will confess that I recently had a fun thought for how to triumphantly (or as close as Yog-Sothothery allows for triumph) deal with Y'ha-nthlei in a Dagon and/or Cthulhu cycle. Namely, find a way to de-enslave the Deep Ones' shoggoths. Preferably after ensuring an escape route, since there's no guarantee the shoggoths will be in a state to distinguish between mammal and fish.

Yes, the one known-to-be-dangerous Deep One city gets karmically wrecked by a localized shoggoth apocalypse...

(I have a headcanon that Y'ha-nthlei is alone in wanting to corrupt and conquer humans. The other Deep One cities are far less interested in conquest adventurism. They have half-human/half-Deep One hybrids of their own, but those are just to keep an eye on human activity, and are designed to never fully shift to either genetic side.)

Edited by SkyknightXi

good idea ^^ I would absolutly love it, just because I love submarines places. And I want sharks. Just for the fun. Shoggoth and depp one, that seems like a deadly sandwich for an uncertain issue ... pretty fun after all !!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Soakman said:

Fairly sure we have a good idea what the next cycle is due to some spoiler-related scenario guides (for the remaining TCU scenarios) provided by Asmodee in German...  Read at your own peril: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2209756/remaining-circle-undone-scenario-guides-are-online

That really could be interpreted to mean two different popular speculations.  It favors one but could also suggest another.

Edited by CSerpent