Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Death Star Lightsaber Duel Reimagined

I think it's very well made, and very fun to watch, but honestly I feel like what makes it fun (the action, the fast-pace, the struggle) is what kinda kills it for me. I've always preferred the interpretation of the film's duel (which in comparison looks like two old men poking sticks at each other and sometimes remembering to pretend like they're fighting) that they're both exceptionally experienced and in tune with the force, and they know one slip will mean instant death. The entire fight in the film is very evenly matched, whereas here Obi-Wan is clearly at the disadvantage. I think this video makes for a far more compelling scene on its own, but for the overall narrative doesn't work for me as much (I'd've preferred a scene that really builds on that quite intensity, like a scene from The Duelist).

Still, that's just me being nitpicky--I think it's a wonderful piece, and a splendid addition to Star Wars fan films. Gotta appreciate the dedication behind a piece like this.

On 5/9/2019 at 1:01 AM, Castlecruncher said:

I think it's very well made, and very fun to watch, but honestly I feel like what makes it fun (the action, the fast-pace, the struggle) is what kinda kills it for me. I've always preferred the interpretation of the film's duel (which in comparison looks like two old men poking sticks at each other and sometimes remembering to pretend like they're fighting) that they're both exceptionally experienced and in tune with the force, and they know one slip will mean instant death. The entire fight in the film is very evenly matched, whereas here Obi-Wan is clearly at the disadvantage. I think this video makes for a far more compelling scene on its own, but for the overall narrative doesn't work for me as much (I'd've preferred a scene that really builds on that quite intensity, like a scene from The Duelist).

Still, that's just me being nitpicky--I think it's a wonderful piece, and a splendid addition to Star Wars fan films. Gotta appreciate the dedication behind a piece like this.

Agreed. Also, Obi-Wan in ANH is actually fighting correctly, controlling the center. Waving a saber around looks fun, but it leaves you wide open for your opponent to just thrust and kill you instantly.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:31 AM, Derrault said:

Agreed. Also, Obi-Wan in ANH is actually fighting correctly, controlling the center. Waving a saber around looks fun, but it leaves you wide open for your opponent to just thrust and kill you instantly.

Yeah, I rewatched the prequels recently. A lot of folks will say that one redeeming quality of that trilogy is that it has “better” lightsaber fights. However, I noticed that nearly all of them just had more people twirling their sabers around a lot (no doubt because someone realized that it looked  really cool with the fx added). They seem showier and flashier, but somehow less deadly or tense than the ones in the original movies (to me). 

The duel at the end of Episode I is a noticeable exception — that looked like highly skilled combatants trying to kill each other with weapons.

I wouldn't mind if Disney released an animated 're-make' of the original trilogy in this vein and just recycled most of the audio so the same actors could portray their roles.  It would be awesome to see in theaters, and it wouldn't have that same violated feeling that the special editions leave you with.