Posted (edited)

Really cool!

It does miss Luke's character arc though, as he basically never sees the force in action* and has to reconciliate his doubt about the force with his cocky attitude of heightened self-esteem. (In contrast to Rey, who sees the force in action multiple times**, but has to overcome her self doubts and reconciliate that with her heightened force experience)

*he sees Obiwan's mindtricks and feeling distress after Alderaan exploded. That's about it
** she sees Kylo in action and experiences it twice before ever trying it herself. Later she again sees him using the force.

Edited by GreenDragoon

3 minutes ago, RedHotDice said:

These two guys are old men by now, they should NOT be fighting like young men - I far prefer the orignal scene in the movie.

That’s fair.  

But have you seen Japanese Kendo Masters?    Some of them are in their late 70’s and 80’s,  in their area of expertise these masters put students ‘in their prime’ to near laughable shame. 

Also, Space Wizards.

(In comparison, Gandalf persued and fought the Balrog of Moria for ten days.) 

While there are **so** many aspects of this that I really liked, Kenobi did seem a little...spry.  I mean, yes, Space Wizards, power drawn from the Force, etc.  But I would prefer to see him using the Force to more or less predict Vader's strikes and counter them with the absolute minimum effort.  (The exact opposite of Yoda in the prequels, in fact.  I can't stress strongly enough how much those scenes bothered me.)  I did like the use of Force powers to throw each other around, and the demonstration that Vader is in fact stronger in that aspect of the Force.  This was gorgeously done, and gives me hope for further efforts to show the Jedi in action.  The future of the franchise is so full of possibility.  It's wonderful.

I kind of like it, but not really. 
The biggest aspect of the OT saber fights I really liked was the character interaction. The original version of this fight is all about Obi-wan and Vader talking to each other, with a little bit of sword swinging. It's interesting, it has characterisation, and it develops things.
This loses the interesting character stuff, burying it under fancy tricks.

I will include myself in the Cool But No crowd, for many of the reasons listed above.

Also, I have an underlying desire to avoid "revisionist cinema."  A movie is art that should reflect its era and the mores of the times.

I can no longer watch E.T. thanks to its "softened" redo.

8 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

That’s fair.  

But have you seen Japanese Kendo Masters?    Some of them are in their late 70’s and 80’s,  in their area of expertise these masters put students ‘in their prime’ to near laughable shame. 

Also, Space Wizards.

Gandalf was a Maiar.

9 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Well that was pretty cool.

Though I will say this.

Imagine if Disney did it, how many people would be SCREAMING.

Tbf, I love the scene as a nice thing as its own. But it sticks out like a sore thumb if watched with the rest of the movie. Not only is it visually different, but different cinematography, directing, and pacing. Part of the charm of '77 Star Wars is how much it is a movie (and a highly idealized form of it) of its time. The scene, as awesome as it is in a vacuum (hence the cuts to get back to the obi vader action in the video), feels more like a badass prequel than actual '77 Star Wars.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, LTuser said:

Strange, asi prefer this version.  We know Kenobi was a great swordsman from the Ep 1 through 3 films..  Even at his older age (what, 20 years later), he should still have it..

Skills like this atrophy quickly.  Who has Kenobi been practicing with for 20 years??  Jawas???

The same can be said for Vader.  Granted, he could practice with Palpatine, but can you imaging 2 Sith having a "friendly" sparring match??

Sure, there could be combat droids, but good against remotes is one thing.  Good against the living??. . .

The two of them might be Masters, but lightsaber dueling has been a dead art for 2 decades.

5 hours ago, player3010587 said:

Tbf, I love the scene as a nice thing as its own. But it sticks out like a sore thumb if watched with the rest of the movie. Not only is it visually different, but different cinematography, directing, and pacing. Part of the charm of '77 Star Wars is how much it is a movie (and a highly idealized form of it) of its time. The scene, as awesome as it is in a vacuum (hence the cuts to get back to the obi vader action in the video), feels more like a badass prequel than actual '77 Star Wars.

To expand on this a bit, I think that this is why the Vader scene in RO works so well.  Nothing all that fancy happens: Vader slaughters men in his way, full stop.  It's direct, brutish, and evil.  And it gets back down to the no-frills Force power we see in the OT, rather than the fancy sword-play of the PT.  It feels like OT Vader, which is where RO sits in the chronology.

Without overly opening that can of worms, I'll just say that I think that is one of the large places TLJ failed.  It was discordant.

Architecture has similar restraints: you can't build a glass skyscraper next to a castle and expect people to think it's amazing, even if your structure is completely sound.  Here in Chicago, I think it is a big reason that the city rejected Lucas's Narrative Art Museum.  The plan called for a pretty ugly pseudo-sci-fi-space-tent structure in a city that is known for Art Deco and Mies van der Rohe.  The true irony being, IMHO, that Star Wars most definitely has an Art Deco aesthetic and Lucas's museum could have been an attractive addition to the city's shoreline, in a style that suits both Star Wars and the city, rather than an immediate "what the **** is that."

Edited by Darth Meanie

Folks who put this together did something technically impressive.

But it feels kinda off to me.  I think the clash of eras gets at me, but the knockdowns, the force throws, all the sabers through the walls and stuff.  There just seems something so wrong about Vader punching Obi-Wan.  I know a lot of great choreographed combat sometimes tosses folks around like this (just rewatched Avatar: TLA and LOK: amazing fight choreography), but it just doesn't seem to fit.  My favorite duel in Star Wars is Luke/Vader RotJ, so that forms my ideal.  Story-beats have to come before action-beats in truly great Lightsaber combat.

Well, at least it's not any time Yoda lifts a lightsaber.  Yoda with a lightsaber is what I'd consider the worst idea in Star Wars history.

18 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

That’s fair.  

Also, Space Wizards.

Yes, but Gandalf is a Maiar, a demigod, born before the shaping of Arda. 😉

Though old humans could act more energetic!

I think this is actually pretty awesome. Good choreography, and really good camera work. They even still had the fight end how it should. No crazy flips and stuff, just Obi-Wan giving Luke a knowing look, and accepting Vader's killing blow. Just at peace, knowing that there is someone else to keep the fight alive now that he can't do it himself.

It reminds me a bit of the Vader hallway scene from Rouge One, in how Vader is ruthless and unflinching no matter what is thrown his way. If your fan video compares well to that, you have succeeded in a big way. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Well, at least it's not any time Yoda lifts a lightsaber.  Yoda with a lightsaber is what I'd consider the worst idea in Star Wars history.

Palpatine with a lightsaber was far, far worse. I still cringe thinking about that scene.

As far this video goes- I think half the people in this thread are overlooking the fact that this was a FAN-made film. Keeping that in mind, it’s incredibly well done. Would I want the original scene officially replaced with this one? No, probably not. But I never got the impression that that was the creator’s intent. It was done more as a “what would this scene look like if it had been made nowadays instead of 40 years ago?” sort of thing.

In my opinion this guy who did this video deserves a special place right up there next to the guy who did the anime TIE-fighter video. 

Edited by Herowannabe

6 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Here in Chicago, I think it is a big reason that the city rejected Lucas's Narrative Art Museum.  The plan called for a pretty ugly pseudo-sci-fi-space-tent structure in a city that is known for Art Deco and Mies van der Rohe.

I mean being a Chicago native myself, I had a slightly different take. In that it was mostly NIMBYism that killed it, nothing to do with design.

Also, have you seen new Soldier Field? A UFO on top of a Roman coliseum! I think the museum design would have worked fine. Chicago isn’t tied to a specific building aesthetic, but is rather more known for being a architecture pioneer. And a more futurist looking building would not be at all out of place when looking at the Sears, err Wi…Wi… Willis tower. Argh that’s still painful to say.

Yeah, I’m a bit peeved at the way the whole thing broke down because some rich people didn’t want more traffic by them.

Watched it twice, enjoyed it twice :)

Feel like one of those deleted scenes that "could" have been part of the movie, but was cut due to pacing or something.  Still very pleasant.  As far as I'm concerned, if they want to add other scenes like the fight between IG-88 and Boba in Cloud City, I would enjoy that too :)

3 hours ago, madmc326 said:

Yes, but Gandalf is a Maiar, a demigod, born before the shaping of Arda. 😉

Though old humans could act more energetic!

So its acceptable for a Majair, but NOT for a jedi?