Sign in to follow this  
thinkbomb

Misleading conversion kit advertising...

Brothers and I shopped carefully during the lead up to 2.0 so that we would have under the advertised limit. 2 of us fly empire. 

Conversion kits only have 1 unique each. 

So it really isn't enough for 4 tie fighters. Like, there isn't 4 tie fighter expansion's worth of cards. 

I guess the question is are we screwed into buying more conversion kits?

Also, they gave ZERO guidance on how to divvy out what upgrade cards go to what ships.  Any advice on that point? 

34 minutes ago, thinkbomb said:

Brothers and I shopped carefully during the lead up to 2.0 so that we would have under the advertised limit. 2 of us fly empire. 

So it really isn't enough for 4 tie fighters. Like, there isn't 4 tie fighter expansion's worth of cards. 

Also, they gave ZERO guidance on how to divvy out what upgrade cards go to what ships.  Any advice on that point? 

They presumed each kit was only converting one person.  As for divvying out upgrades, its entirely up to you.  Split EPTS / Mods Equally, and then upgrades that can only go on one ship go with that ship.

Yep, unfortunately you misunderstood the contents of the kits. If you had four tie fighters it doesn’t mean one kit will give you four Howlrunners. That being said they did screw up quite a bit with the number of generics they included for some ships which is a valid complaint. 

Let me fix this for you. 

Everyone who's bought faction conversions for more than 1 faction has basically every single card from the con kits in multiples. Like... oodles and oodles of multiples. Just bug them for the upgrades. 

If you're both playing Imperial, unless you're some crazy person with serious control over their wallet and have like only a few ships per person, you likely both want to be imperial players, just get another conv kit if you need unique pilot cards and baseplates.  

There. No more problems. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Let me fix this for you. 

Everyone who's bought faction conversions for more than 1 faction has basically every single card from the con kits in multiples. Like... oodles and oodles of multiples. Just bug them for the upgrades. 

If you're both playing Imperial, unless you're some crazy person with serious control over their wallet and have like only a few ships per person, you likely both want to be imperial players, just get another conv kit if you need unique pilot cards and baseplates.  

There. No more problems. 

-- edit notice: i wrote this after finding out an attempt to mitigate costs didn't pan out.  Ended up snapping back something rude when I shouldn't have.

Apologies on that front --

yeah, no thanks for the sarcasm.

We aren't diehard ultracore tourney junkies.  We're just filthy casuals who haven't optimized to single factions - a good 1/4 of the cards aren't being used at all (none of us own an E-Wing for example)

Let me provide a case example ship that's a major stick up the crawl: The YT-1300.

That ship has 1 generic and 3 named pilots.  And because of foolish nostalgia 2 of us bought a Rebel Falcon.  Falcon's a high-demand ship in general, so we aren't gonna find dupes of that anywhere.

Smaller ships you could buy "just 1 more" and get the dupe uniques that way (like a tie-fighter or an x-wing).  Not an option on big ships like the Falcon.

... so ... yeah.  Flush another $40 down the drain because why not?  End up with a mountain of unused other cards while I'm at it?  Great advice!  Thanks for your help.

Edited by thinkbomb

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Do I need a Username said:

They presumed each kit was only converting one person.  As for divvying out upgrades, its entirely up to you.  Split EPTS / Mods Equally, and then upgrades that can only go on one ship go with that ship.

Sounds reasonable with divvying up the common upgrades / unique upgrades.  We unfortunately have the other faction conversion kits in route, so at least we'll probably have enough commons-dupes.

Had we realized it was "conversion kits for single player" we probably wouldn't have made the jump ... but, eh ... life sucks, ya know?

Edited by thinkbomb

If you're not playing at official tournaments, you don't actually need the correct base tokens on each ship.

You don't need to use the correct pilot cards either.

However, if you feel unable to play that way, you will end up needing another conversion kit. There are a few secondary sellers who sell individual items from kits, plus facebook groups selling stuff.

For tournament play, the kits really messed up the quantities of many generic pilots and there have been multiple threads on this forum bemoaning the issue, which is why you're likely to get replies which are less polite than normal - because the topic has been done to death.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thinkbomb said:

Had we realized it was "conversion kits for single player" we probably wouldn't have made the jump ... but, eh ... life sucks, ya know?

I get your frustration buds, but just take a moment to appreciate all of the frustration that didn't have to happen among players without siblings / fiancés / pals interested in splitting a faction's content with them. 

"Why on Earth I have to pay for 4 copies of everything?! Why?! I'm not even going to use one-of of most! I hate you FFG! I hate you!!!"

*Proceeds to crawl away from a stream of lava*

Edited by Ryfterek

1 hour ago, thinkbomb said:

We aren't diehard ultracore tourney junkies.  We're just filthy casuals who haven't optimized to single factions - a good 1/4 of the cards aren't being used at all (none of us own an E-Wing for example)

Well if you're not tournament junkies and are just filthy casuals, then why not just proxy cards?  Or print out a list instead?  There's a totally free squad builder app for that, you know.

4 hours ago, thinkbomb said:

Your situation is more the outlier than the rule. Conversion kits are to get 1.0 players over to 2.0 as seamlessly as possible. The kits aren't designed for the purpose your post is about. Imagine the furore that would have happened if players received 2 Howlrunners? There would have been cries of product padding and receiving little value for money. 

As to what upgrades go with what ships? Any ship with a mod slot can take afterburners, is it rubbish on a Bomber? yes, but it doesn't mean people cant use it on one. 

I think your best option is to share what you have now, at a later date pool your resources and get a second one if it is that important to you. I think FFG did the best they could to satisfy as many players as possible. 
They would have had a dead game if they told 1.0 players that they need to buy the new ships to get the upgrade and pilot cards.

5 hours ago, thinkbomb said:

3 hours ago, thinkbomb said:

I'm a little confused. Are you saying you're casual enough to not go to tournaments, but invested enough that each of you has a dedicated faction that you will be playing at the same time? Do you go to game nights?

Because if you're just playing casually at home, I'm not sure why it would matter that you only have one of each unique? Surely you'd just... not play mirror matches? Why is it vital that you be able to play Empire vs Empire?

And if you're going to stores to play against other people and everyone needs their own list, why wouldn't they buy their own content? And if you're not overlapping on the ship models you have by sharing, then why not just make sure you take different lists?

Also, as careful as you say you were, I don't feel like you really researched the conversion kit. Assuming you've only just got them, they've been out for 9 months. The detailed contents are easily available online in several places. That would have told you the exact count of all the contents. And at no point does any kit say it includes 4x TIE Fighter expansions, or anything similar. 

It says it has the cards to convert 4x TIE Fighter models from 1e. As in, it has 4 dials and at least 4 bases. 

There are some frustrating shortcuts taken by the conversion kits, I won't tell you they're perfect or that I didn't have any problems with them - the Rebel Conversion Kit, for example, says it converts 4 Z-95s and has 4 dials, but only has 3 copies of the Bandit Squadron generic. But I have no idea why you would have expected them to have multiple copies of each unique pilot.

Could you imagine how that would have been for the average player? Y'know, someone who has a collection for themselves and no one else? What would they have done with 3 completely useless Howlrunner pilot cards? It's just clutter. 

Yeah, most people have no need for two, let alone four, copies of the Howlrunner pilot card. If each conversion kit had 2-3 copies of every single unique card, it'd be at least 50% bigger, likely with a 50% bigger price as well. Very few of us would want that.

They never actually misled you on the conversion. If you actually read the description it says converts this number by dials.

Now, there are legitimate complaints with the kit in terms of number of generics included at specific initiative levels. But your complaints is pretty unfounded and a bit unreasonable to ask of ffg. Basically the kit was to convert a collection of 1.0 assuming “one of each” and occasional seconds for a given faction.

Posted (edited)

That's what I get for posting when i'm irritated. 

Sorry for losing my temper.  That was a bit harsh of me.

To answer a question as to why we thought this, we based our plans mainly off the ship dials included.  Oops.  Live and learn. 8/

Edited by thinkbomb

If you're simply casual, may I suggest a good pint? I'm thinking a porter would assist nicely.

As far as the 2.0 conversion kits, I have but the FO currently and I'm trying to get reps in on dark builds; seemed to be a great kit and I have grown fond of Silencers and SFs. Hey, this may be a rhetorical question and all, pardon if so, but I think the contents are listed on the back of the boxes? I thought so, but hey, it was a gift and I had a pint at the time.

Hope all get's more happy on the Imperial's flight deck there.

....now where's my tea?

It would have royally sucked if FFG cut important cards from the conversion kits just so they could fit redundant multiples of unique pilots that a majority of players would have just thrown in the trash. That would have been something like 50 pointless duplicates that would have taken up that much extra space in both cards and cardboard templates. You can only fit so much useless garbage before you have to cut something useful out of the box.

Sorry this didn’t work out for you. But there are other, better ways to save money in X-Wing, especially since you’re not bound by the component necessities of tournaments.

Yes, the Conversion Kit promotion/advertising was seriously misleading, for the reasons you state (and imply) and for other reasons.

No, you're not likely to get sympathy from the "ah, technically ... " apologist crowd here.

Yes, to actually convert the ships y'all own, you'll need to buy multiple Conversion Kits, much of which will be useless to you and to others.

If you're looking for a minimum number of extra dials/base placards, one option would be to check ebay.

There are vendors there that sell individual ship conversions (for example, all of the dials, base placards and cards for TIE fighters out of the Empire conversion box) for 5-6 dollars.

I've bought a lot of extra conversion stuff from "henrys_outpost."

Posted (edited)

My advice: share the kit amongst all of you rather than deciding who owns Vader and who owns Soontir, or whatever.

when you play at home, the names on the bases don't matter. The cards don't matter. Just do what you want.

When you go out to play in places where these things do matter, don't fly the same stuff. Maybe don't even fly the same faction so there's less crossover. How you decide who gets to play what at each time is up to you, but if you can't agree, I suggest playing one of those home games to decide it.

Edited by skotothalamos

My only issue, and this has to also have been discussed is the fact that as a 5 faction player (no pre-quel stuff) I am losing out on several nice upgrade cards (brillant evasion on Luke? Space parts for Rebels/Resistance). I really hope the card packs actually come out in a reasonable space of time and I can get the upgrades that are currently exclusives.