KKoro

The Blob That Ate Everything - Gencon 2019

Posted (edited)

Sounds like Arkham Chronicles needs to get an American correspondent to hook them up.  It feels like FFG should try to have a blob event somewhere in the UK considering the game seems to have a decent audience in that area.

Edited by phillos

13 hours ago, Buhallin said:

What else counts as disappointing? 

The fact that FFG told us we were in violation of their IP policy. We have had to remove several videos and have not been able to upload new content since 7th July as we wait patiently to get this issue sorted out. Being the world’s most prolific Arkham Files creators and not making videos is disappointing.

:)

4 hours ago, ArkhamChronicle said:

The fact that FFG told us we were in violation of their IP policy. We have had to remove several videos and have not been able to upload new content since 7th July as we wait patiently to get this issue sorted out. Being the world’s most prolific Arkham Files creators and not making videos is disappointing.

:)

I don't like the sound of that at all.

That's shocking.  FFG is usually quite friendly to the community content providers, and they've worked with you in the past on videos and given you previews.  Very weird.  Is this a case of the right arm not talking to the left?

Posted (edited)

I don't think that's the case at all. They wrote to the Arkham Chronicle chap saying there was a possible breach, and let him know the IP guidelines again so that no action needed to be taken on their end. He just needed to bring his stuff in line with the guidance! 

Edited by zooeyglass
Privacy concerns

We definitely don’t want to derail the thread here.

Maybe start a new thread if you have any questions or concerns about this.

It certainly came as a shock but FFG have been really polite and cool about it. But our channel may look significantly different going forward.

Apologies to the Original Poster.

The Arkham Chronicle Gang

22 hours ago, Buhallin said:

Every year, any number of people will pay for the event, walk up, grab the pack they paid for, and leave without actually playing.  Whether they do it for the scenario, or to sell the promos, whatever, it happens, and it means that the very limited number of slots (even the 400 this year sold out quickly) becomes even more limited.

Gosh, that must make the event an absolute nightmare to organise. No wonder the scenario is designed to scale to almost any number of players! I'm slightly surprised they don't give out the pack/other goodies to the players only once they have finished the scenario.

22 hours ago, Duciris said:

@ArkhamChronicle is in the UK, so it's disappointing to him/them as they won't have access to it before general release or by buying it on eBay.

I got that part.  Where I took exception was the phrasing.

Outside of extreme selfishness there shouldn't be anything about increasing availability at GenCon which is disappointing to anyone.  It's just flat-out better.  And the way the "disappointment" was phrased was "FFG told us we couldn't get one but then had more for people at GenCon and that's disappointing".

Given the number of people who show up to GenCon I take some exception at the far-too-typical self-centered attitude of "content creators".  This has been a problem at GenCon for a long time.  Nobody should be disappointed that they're working to fix it.

If nothing else, more availability at GenCon will mean more on the second-hand market afterwards for more reasonable prices there.  They can get one that way just like everyone else who can't make the con.

9 minutes ago, Assussanni said:

Gosh, that must make the event an absolute nightmare to organise. No wonder the scenario is designed to scale to almost any number of players! I'm slightly surprised they don't give out the pack/other goodies to the players only once they have finished the scenario.

They've dabbled with this in some other games - the Destiny tournament a few years back gave a copy of the Vader promo at the start, and a second at the end of the event.

I do wish they'd do more, but there's a red tape weight to giving things out at the end.  They have around 400+ people active in events across all their games at any given moment, with a shared group of about 8 people running them all.  GenCon still uses physical tickets, which they have to take when people arrive.  Holding things to the end, especially for something like Arkham which doesn't really require result reporting, would be a real pain and slow down everything.

Making the scenario available in the booth this year is a pretty elegant solution, although they dropped the ball on that by not announcing it more broadly or doing so before people had bought those very-hot event tickets.  But still, it's improvement, and shouldn't be disappointing to anyone.

Posted (edited)

I mean sheet metal folds in half if you have the will.... kidding aside to answer the question it’s the same card stock.

The event was a blast! We won and thanks to everyone for the advice and pro tips. 

Edited by Zeroblack

8 hours ago, Allonym said:

I would totally jump at the opportunity for a huge game of this in the UK.

Well, given our current situation it doesn’t look like the Arkham Chronicle organised Blob event is going to happen.

But you will likely see it included in the Arkham Nights or Invocation packs later on.

Although it still has not been confirmed that there will be any Arkham Nights outside the US this year.

Keep your fingers crossed.

On 8/3/2019 at 12:05 AM, Allonym said:

I keep having to tell myself: I have enough playmats. Because that is amazing. Not to mention alt version of my beloved Alice!

I would totally jump at the opportunity for a huge game of this in the UK.

....Arkham in Flames 2020, plausibly!

On 8/2/2019 at 8:23 AM, CSerpent said:

And a big honkin' card.  Does that even fit in the oversized clamshell?  Does it fold in half?

The large card was given out after the scenario, and didn't come in the pack.

Matt was signing both cards and playmats on the last day and had a fondness for drawing silly faces on the blob.  Wonder what one of those would go for on eBay?  More or less valuable? :)