KKoro

The Blob That Ate Everything - Gencon 2019

The Blob That Ate Everything

Short Description:The town of Blackwater has been devastated after a mysterious meteorite impact, and you and your companions are trapped inside the quarantine zone.

Long Description:Played in Epic Multiplayer Mode, the participants are split into groups of up to four investigators, who must work together with all of the other investigators in the event in order to analyze and defeat an entity unlike any they have ever faced - one whose health pool is shared across all groups. Participants must bring their own investigator deck and tokens. Investigator decks and tokens will not be provided. Each participant will receive a copy of The Blob That Ate Everything scenario.

Anyone know how we go about signing up for this?

9 hours ago, General Zodd said:

Where is this info from? Is it just on the GenCon site or something?

That's the only place I've seen it, on the events page. I'd expect to see it turn up on the FFG site at some point, even if it's just as part of an article on FFG's presence at GenCon.

So I’m new to this game and signed up for this event at Gencon. When it says to bring an investigator deck, should this be a brand new (0 xp) deck?

On 6/14/2019 at 5:19 PM, Zeroblack said:

So I’m new to this game and signed up for this event at Gencon. When it says to bring an investigator deck, should this be a brand new (0 xp) deck?

No, it should follow the standalone deck building rules.  Basically, as much experience as you want but an additional basic weakness for every 10 full XP.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:19 PM, Zeroblack said:

I like 29XP decks for these events.  We got paired with some one with a 0XP deck for the Labyrinth of Lunacy (at Arkham Nights, not GenCon (if that matters to you)) and it worked out fine.  At 29, you can get a good deck that only has 2 extra basic weaknesses in it.

The amount of XP you take is total player preference.  I will remind you, however, that you can't have anything which requires you to have something written in a campaign log, as you won't have a previous campaign log.  So no upgraded Ancient Stones, Archaic Glyphs nor Strange Solutions.

Also, let us know how it is!  I'll be trying it at Arkham Nights this year as I live in Minnesota.  I'm really looking forward to this chaos.

13 minutes ago, Duciris said:

I like 29XP decks for these events.  We got paired with some one with a 0XP deck for the Labyrinth of Lunacy (at Arkham Nights, not GenCon (if that matters to you)) and it worked out fine.  At 29, you can get a good deck that only has 2 extra basic weaknesses in it.

The amount of XP you take is total player preference.

Very much so.  I tend to stick to 19 except for certain investigators like Jenny whose signature weakness is basically a no-op in standalone play.  You can replace that one without much impact.

Plus the Gold Pocket Watch basically saved us in Labyrinths a few years ago, so... :D

15 minutes ago, player1994465 said:

Will the Blob that Ate Everything this be available to buy to add to our collection just wanted to know.

yes, normally released down the line (say, 6 months or so, roughly speaking, later). 

All the event decks eventually go up for sale on the site.  there's usually a sizeable delay between the event and their availability at retail.  That's been true for LOTR LCG event decks so I can't see them breaking that trend now.  These things usually run better when you have alot of players since that's what they are designed to accomplish.  Just a word of warning if you are buying them to play solo.

I usually aim for 29 xp for standalone decks.  That lets you play with pretty much an end campaign setup at the cost of 2 extra weaknesses.  I don't think you'll be disadvantaged if you aim for lower XP totals.  The extra weaknesses are a big downside, but the 5 xp cards (or exceptionals) usually are huge game winners.

If you are playing a Survivor I can see going to just 19 xp or even 9 xp considering just throwing the exile cards in there is a huge boon and they have no higher XP cards usually to tempt them to 29 xp.  My end campaign Rita or Ashcan builds certainly didn't require 29 XP to build.

13 hours ago, Buhallin said:

It was mentioned in the FB group that they'll also have a limited amount of the scenario available in the FFG booth at GenCon, which is new.

Would you happen to have a helpful link please?

22 hours ago, gothdreams said:

If you can't attend GenCon, the GenCon scenario has traditionally (the past two years) been given to attendees at Arkham Nights in October.  

We didn't get the first part of Guardians of the Abyss at Arkham Nights '18.  GenCon played the fist part & Arkham Nights had to deal with their repercussions in the second part. ;)

I am expecting that it will be the scenario at both conventions this year.

Thanks, all. We are a group of 3, just wondering, how will they group us with other investigators? I’ll be playing Rex and planning on doing a 19 pt deck at the moment. I’m a new player and have only played the core scenarios once and my deck is just based on core and dunwich. I am more or less accompanying friends who are more invested in the game than I am, so I might sell my scenario later if there’s a market for that kind of thing.

15 minutes ago, Zeroblack said:

...so I might sell my scenario later if there’s a market for that kind of thing.

Well we would love to purchase your scenario, in fact your entire pack if you are willing (you get a poster and stuff).

We run a tiny YouTube channel in a faraway country so this kind of opportunity is like gold.

Feel free to send us a message and we can give you our details.

Fingers crossed

The Arkham Chronicle Gang

15 hours ago, ArkhamChronicle said:

Would you happen to have a helpful link please?

I looked but couldn't find the article again.  Sorry, blame Facebook's awful group implementation.

Aidyn Newman Hey everyone. While in the past we haven't sold the Gen Con event at our booth, I can confirm that this year we will have The Blob That Ate Everything for sale at the FFG booth this year, in limited quantities. So if you weren't able to get a ticket to the event, stop by and pick up a copy at the booth! And if you already have a ticket to the event but only want a copy of the scenario and don't want to sit down and play at the event, I encourage you to give your ticket to somebody who does want to sit down and play and instead purchase your copy at the booth. That way everyone is happy! 😃 See you at Gen Con!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/arkhamhorrorlcg/permalink/2491296857581843/?comment_id=2493129260731936&comment_tracking={"tn"%3A"R"}

On 7/20/2019 at 5:29 AM, ArkhamChronicle said:

Because the people who were trying to organise a UK event were told there wasn’t any stock to do so. Likewise when we asked for a review copy.

So a bigger supply for the people attending the convention but still bounded to the convention is a disappointment?  What else counts as disappointing?  That they have more slots for the scenario?

It's worth reading the comment above pretty directly because it lays out exactly why they're doing this.  Every year, any number of people will pay for the event, walk up, grab the pack they paid for, and leave without actually playing.  Whether they do it for the scenario, or to sell the promos, whatever, it happens, and it means that the very limited number of slots (even the 400 this year sold out quickly) becomes even more limited.

Selling the pack in the booth should let those people get the pack without taking slots from those who are actually there to play.  This is a smart move, and there's absolutely nothing disappointing about it - unless you want your freebies so bad you think it's worth screwing over the con attendees?

6 minutes ago, Buhallin said:

So a bigger supply for the people attending the convention but still bounded to the convention is a disappointment?  What else counts as disappointing?  That they have more slots for the scenario?

It's worth reading the comment above pretty directly because it lays out exactly why they're doing this.  Every year, any number of people will pay for the event, walk up, grab the pack they paid for, and leave without actually playing.  Whether they do it for the scenario, or to sell the promos, whatever, it happens, and it means that the very limited number of slots (even the 400 this year sold out quickly) becomes even more limited.

Selling the pack in the booth should let those people get the pack without taking slots from those who are actually there to play.  This is a smart move, and there's absolutely nothing disappointing about it - unless you want your freebies so bad you think it's worth screwing over the con attendees?

@ArkhamChronicle is in the UK, so it's disappointing to him/them as they won't have access to it before general release or by buying it on eBay.