Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GalaxyUC

Novellas? Done?

Recommended Posts

So... for those of us just getting into this game, are we out of luck on ever getting Novellas for RETAIL PRICE)? Seems odd that something incredibly successful is cancelled because Star Wars. Has anyone heard if they will ever come back? I have investigators of Arkham Horror, but those stories contradict the Novellas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the novellas were successful (selling out fast), I expect that they are currently going through authoring and editorial process for a new set of them covering further investigators. If the older ones are no longer available at retail, I'd expect the first set to be reprinted as the ramp up to the new ones, but that could still be a year away or more.

Edited by Carthoris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely don't buy them at inflated prices; they underwent a reprint a few months ago and they likely will again. They also pop up in various places from time to time if you keep an eye out (I got To Fight The Black Wind from a random game shop with a small online store, and later got The Deep Gate, Night of the Huntress and Ire of the Void from a Danish shop).

As much as I'm a tireless fanboy for novella Carolyn Fern, they aren't really necessary unless you're a real completionist and also allergic to proxying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as the cards go, you aren't missing anything with currently released investigators.  They do offer player options, which are always a good thing, but the replacement cards are meh at best, terrible at worst.  

Narrative wise, the novellas act as an introduction for each character into the mythos.  Foe example, The Hour of the Huntress features Jenny Barnes as she returns home to Arkham at Izzy's request. Jenny isn't as involved as she is in her story in Investigators of Arkham Horror

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get them digital for around 5 buck a piece if you just want to read the stories.  I suspect we'll get a reprint, but I also suspect it will be a wait for them considering how much is waiting for a reprint in FFG's queue currently. 

I can't recall anything in particular that is contradictory between the novellas we've gotten so far and the Investigators of Arkham book.  Though I did read that book when it was first released which was a while ago at this point.  Carolyn's short story tied directly into her novella plot if I recall correctly.

I get your frustration though OP.  I got them all except Deep Gate.   It's super annoying to have an incomplete collection like that.  If I had known they would so hard to get I'd just do them all digitally only and print off proxies of the not yet released investigators.  The alternate signature cards as Turtlefan points out are not really better and in most cases they are worse than their originals.  Though they are thematic for what happens in the novellas though which is cool for people who read through those stories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phillos said:

You can get them digital for around 5 buck a piece if you just want to read the stories.  I suspect we'll get a reprint, but I also suspect it will be a wait for them considering how much is waiting for a reprint in FFG's queue currently. 

I can't recall anything in particular that is contradictory between the novellas we've gotten so far and the Investigators of Arkham book.  Though I did read that book when it was first released which was a while ago at this point.  Carolyn's short story tied directly into her novella plot if I recall correctly.

I get your frustration though OP.  I got them all except Deep Gate.   It's super annoying to have an incomplete collection like that.  If I had known they would so hard to get I'd just do them all digitally only and print off proxies of the not yet released investigators.  The alternate signature cards as Turtlefan points out are not really better and in most cases they are worse than their originals.  Though they are thematic for what happens in the novellas though which is cool for people who read through those stories.

I'm not sure where you're located but The Deep Gate is in stores in the UK (though selling out). I picked up a copy the other week. I actually haven't read the novellas yet...they don't look like they are great literary works...but the completionist in me wanted the alternate cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are not going to blow your socks off if you compare them to great literary works.  They are fun reads if you are enthusiastic about the characters.  I described them in other places as being similar in experience to listening to a Call of Cthulhu RPG actual play recording.  I also enjoy doing that so it's no surprise I enjoyed reading these stories.

I'm surprised they are so popular.  Certainly the marketing of putting to promo cards in there worked because I can't imagine that many people were interested in reading these books.  It frustrates me to think someone out there has a copy of Deep Gate opened only to extract the cards and then threw the book on their shelf unread.

Edited by phillos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have all 5 of them on my shelf. Don't worry though...I will read them...just need to find the time (I'm currently rereading HPL's collected works again). I wasn't going to spend that amount of cash on just the cards...though it did encourage me to pick up the books when they were available. I like your idea of thinking of them as being similar to listening in on CoC RPG...rather than trying to be anything grander.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "Upcoming" page of the FFG site listed The Investigators of Arkham Horror as a reprint "Shipping Now" this week. That's exciting news for me, since I missed out on the first printing.

Edited by Carthoris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed the Investigators of Arkham Horror.  Not all the stories were strong, but considering they were all only a couple pages it was easy to breeze through the ones i didn't like to get to ones I did.  It also was nice to get to know some of the investigators that I never got around to playing in the other Arkham Files board games.  I came out of it liking Father Mateo and George Barnaby much more for example.  Unfortunately it's missing the newer investigators that have since been released which is just Calvin, Sefina and Daniela so far I think.  I'd be very interested in Sefina and Calvin fiction.

Edited by phillos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 12:58 PM, phillos said:

They are not going to blow your socks off if you compare them to great literary works.  They are fun reads if you are enthusiastic about the characters.  I described them in other places as being similar in experience to listening to a Call of Cthulhu RPG actual play recording.  I also enjoy doing that so it's no surprise I enjoyed reading these stories.

I'm surprised they are so popular.  Certainly the marketing of putting to promo cards in there worked because I can't imagine that many people were interested in reading these books.  It frustrates me to think someone out there has a copy of Deep Gate opened only to extract the cards and then threw the book on their shelf unread.

I have read 4 out of 5.  If you are looking for a fun read, they aren't bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great update. Thank you Mburnaugh64! I'm a bit sad to see that we may not be getting new novellas, however, until Summer 2020! (It's also possible FFG might publish a set of their own before then that are not under contract with Aconyte? Wishful thinking?)

It seems like the switch in publisher may be the cause for such a delay between releases. My hope is that they are truly talking about the Novellas here and not spin-off Arkham Files novels like the ones previously published.

I wonder if this will make the book more widely distributed to local game shops and potentially lower the pricing (since FFg shipping is so expensive). I don't have a large game shop locally, but curious if game stores will generally carry other Aconyte books, or if they're going to be available specifically in book stores instead/as well?

Edited by Soakman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 9:31 AM, phillos said:

Why did you get 2?  Are you buying for someone else?  Yes you did just raise my blood pressure a bit :)

Wellllllll,  I do have doubles of all the investigator cards. I keep one set in a binder and the other set I would use in the game in case other people would use them. I know, it probably sounds weird, but hey, I'm a fan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 12:04 PM, Carthoris said:

Yes, if they are ginning up a new set of novellas, it would make sense to concentrate on investigators who aren't in the Investigators book.

Almost all the investigators are in that book. I think it's only missing two or three because they hadn't been introduced yet. And the deluxe rulebook for AH 3rd Ed has stories for the ones not in the big book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three so far didn't appear because they were introduced after the fact.  Calvin, Sefina and Daniela.

42 minutes ago, Captain Mayhem said:

Wellllllll,  I do have doubles of all the investigator cards. I keep one set in a binder and the other set I would use in the game in case other people would use them. I know, it probably sounds weird, but hey, I'm a fan. 

I started this thread with a full head of long luxurious hair.  Now I'm bald.  My only solace is that you don't actually have doubles of the book I'm looking for currently.

Edited by phillos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, mwmcintyre said:

Almost all the investigators are in that book. I think it's only missing two or three because they hadn't been introduced yet. And the deluxe rulebook for AH 3rd Ed has stories for the ones not in the big book.

Not Sefina. :(  (She's not in 3rd ed yet)

Edited by Soakman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mwmcintyre said:

Almost all the investigators are in that book. I think it's only missing two or three because they hadn't been introduced yet. And the deluxe rulebook for AH 3rd Ed has stories for the ones not in the big book.

I could be mistaken, but Sefina Rousseau is the only investigator without a story.  She was created around the release of Path to Carcosa, and was not featured in the deluxe rulebook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And she's a real interesting character so that's shame.  Hopefully if we do get another round of these books in a year or two she is one of the featured investigators so she can get some time in the spotlight.  Though alternate versions of her sig cards would be really interesting consider how fundamental those cards are to how she works.  Kinda Preston has that same issue.

Edited by phillos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phillos said:

And she's a real interesting character so that's shame.  Hopefully if we do get another round of these books in a year or two she is one of the featured investigators so she can get some time in the spotlight.  Though alternate versions of her sig cards would be really interesting consider how fundamental those cards are to how she works.  Kinda Preston has that same issue.

Exactly. I'm jonesin' for them. Sefina is already tops in my book, but there are so many interesting things to do with the cards that are placed under her if Painted World is replaced with something else. 

Maybe letting other investigators in her location drawn them? Maybe a signature asset that lets you discard cards under her instead of taking damage? Or an asset with charges that lets you place a card under her once per round instead of discarding it (giving you the option to spend an action to redraw it later)?

Plus,  I'm so interested in her story. Art forgery and Portal Magic along with Amnesia and waking up from an alien world covered in blood? 😧

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Soakman said:

 Sefina is already tops in my book, but there are so many interesting things to do with the cards that are placed under her if Painted World is replaced with something else. 

Oooooooh.

🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...