Wolfsong92

How does time work in combat?

How much time in-game, roughly, is one round? All I can find is that conflicts take place using "structured time", but I can't seem to find anything that says how long that might be.

In pretty much all RPG games, a combat round is between 5-10 seconds, with each attack roll representing a number of movements and attempts at scoring a hit. 

If you need to know how much time a fight usually takes, have a look at professional martial arts like MMA. Most fights last around 2-3 minutes fighting time (not counting the stuff in between rounds, just pure fighting) at most.

I dont know if there is an actual hard rule for that - most systems I know never really both with a precise measurement, but where they do it always ends up like this.

For some reason, 6 seconds is a really popular time for a round, possibly so that 10 rounds equal a clean minute.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:39 PM, Kaiju said:

In pretty much all RPG games, a combat round is between 5-10 seconds, with each attack roll representing a number of movements and attempts at scoring a hit

This. A 'strike' action is potentially a brief flurry of 2-3 individual swings of a sword, and enough time to shift your position a metre or so without specifically dedicating your attention to 'running'. Equally, a strike action with a bow is enough to ready an arrow, nock it, draw the bowstring, aim and loose, so it's a fairly similar timescale at best unless you're in an action movie.

"Long Enough" is all I can offer.