Boom Owl

Unwritten Rules of Tournament X-Wing

3 minutes ago, TzazikiMann said:

Is this the right way to play this? I thought stress prevents that.

You're right, Afterburners only allows you to do the boost while stressed.

All the more important to make it clear what's going on, so no one is cheating without knowing it.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Also if you’re playing Resistance and you get a Heroic trigger, you have to yell HEROIC real loud so everybody will realize how often Heroic triggers. That one’s not a /s, that one’s real.

I do this regardless of which faction I'm playing and then watch people's face sink (or watch a double take) and then say, jk.

Edited by Danath "ATLAS"

On 5/7/2019 at 3:14 PM, Force Majeure said:

Mark your ships with crit tokens!

This should be emphasized more. Again, technically this rule is written, but so many people forget to do it that it bears repeating. When my opponent receives a crit, and they don't use the token, I ask them kindly if they would.

It's like taking notes in class. Sometimes you never look back at what you wrote, but the act of writing it down helps you remember. The act of placing a crit token next to your ship is often enough to help you remember the crit you were dealt.

On 5/7/2019 at 2:56 PM, Swedge said:

asking to see a Players Dial mid game at a critical juncture to see what moves you can do... but that may be just one of my PET peeves...  

sadly, it's allowed.  

something I have been doing is having the dial movements on my phone, thru LBN app.  That way I don 't bother my opponents during their thinking process :)

Whenever you risk bumping an asteroid or ship with either your ship or template, simply ask your opponent to hold it down for you.  Some moves either clear or bump by half a millimeter, but you’ll never really know what would have happened if you accidentally hit a model along the way… and accidents to happen as the day stretches on.

So working as a team to maintain game coherency is a good way for both plays to have a great time!

Posted (edited)

I did not see this one yet.  Understand to the best of your ability how your list works.  What are the mechanics of your ships and upgrades so you will know how to play them and how to explain them. 

Had a guy playing next to me at the Denver system open day 1 flying separatist he had gotten buzz droids attached to his opponents Redline before Redline activated.  Then after Redline moved his opponent was in a position to barrel roll and did so to move away from the buzz droids.  The separatist player did not think you could do that called a judge and then after being informed that is how the Buzz Droids work and having the card text and mechanics explained by the Judge this player totally lost it.  He went off thankfully not on anyone in particular just FFG.  His tirade negatively affected the experience for all near by and he was not new to the game as he went on about how FFG has been doing players wrong for x number of years. 

If you are new to the game or a game component research and ask how it works if you are unsure before playing in a organized event. It will help you make better decisions in the game and improve your experience. 

Also, as others stated observe Wil Weaton's Law. 

Edited by heckathornjeff

If you are measuring if your ship has arc or range and you bump or nudge something then you need to concede on that range or arc. If you move it then you lost the close call.

Nothing more frustrating then someone measuring nudging a ship moving it "back onto place" then saying they are in range by a hair... This pisses me right off.

43 minutes ago, nj3478 said:

sadly, it's allowed.  

something I have been doing is having the dial movements on my phone, thru LBN app.  That way I don 't bother my opponents during their thinking process :)

I thought FFG OP disallowed any resources during a game that were not official, did they remove this in 2.0?

44 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

AFAIK, it's the content that needs to be official.  The format shouldn't matter.

LBN is not official though. This is one of the rules I didn't care for since it deleted a lot of good resources, like the unofficial cards with the movements listed.

9 minutes ago, Cusm said:

LBN is not official though. This is one of the rules I didn't care for since it deleted a lot of good resources, like the unofficial cards with the movements listed.

I think you're misunderstanding the rule.  (I'm not certain, and I can't check first-hand sources.)  The official "content" is what's on the dial.  The "format" for how you're viewing that -- app, your own copy of the dial, writing it on a piece of paper, whatever -- shouldn't matter.

36 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

I think you're misunderstanding the rule.  (I'm not certain, and I can't check first-hand sources.)  The official "content" is what's on the dial.  The "format" for how you're viewing that -- app, your own copy of the dial, writing it on a piece of paper, whatever -- shouldn't matter.

You are correct.

It is for example completely legal to write down your opponent's list. It is not legal to write down notes on e.g. your target priority, or how likely you are to do X damage on that 1 agility ship, and so on.
It is also completely legal to write down your opponent's list in an app.

Similarly, it is legal to look at your opponent's physical dial for the ship.
It is also completely legal to look at a dial that you happen to have with you, or a list of the maneuvers, or an app displaying the maneuvers. But it is not legal to reference notes on where the maneuver will land a ship.

And personally, I will fight anyone who is against counting up points using pen&paper, a calculator or an app. Analogous to the list or dial with notes, you are not allowed to calculate (on calculator/app) through different combinations to figure out your win condition, that part has to happen in your head. But it is entirely legal to figure out and reference the current game state.

Here’s something I always do. And I’m not just doing it to flatter, either. I always express at the end of a match how I liked their list. Even if you’re playing against a well known list, but especially if it’s something you don’t always see. 

I enjoy talking about the strengths of their list and ask them why they chose predator instead of outmaneuver on their ace or something similar. 

If you just creamed their list be careful on this... if you lost they’ll love talking about it, and if it was close I enjoy talking the clutch moments. 

12 hours ago, heckathornjeff said:

I did not see this one yet.  Understand to the best of your ability how your list works.  What are the mechanics of your ships and upgrades so you will know how to play them and how to explain them. 

Was also going to say this. It's surprising how often people are wrong on how something in their own list works. 

We've had all sorts, even little things like rerolling on Brockets with no bullseye, FTC while stressed etc....

So, absolutely make sure you are ironclad on how everything you've brought works, don't just assume it.

Last store tournament I had to tell my opponent that, no, you can't use Networked Calculations to get the calculate token to fire Energy Shell charges.   I only knew that because I read things here and remembered it. 

If you have a card with a specific timing requirement that isn't used in every game (like the system phase, or especially something unusual like when the opponent reveals a dial), explain this before the game starts to give them fair warning to pause. This helps avoid awkard cases where you miss an opportunity because your opponent rushed through a step without meaning to, or one party ending up with information they shouldn't have because declarations happened in the wrong order. The flip side of this is that if you bring a list with this kind of trigger, the burden is on you to remember it, not your opponent, so be fair and reasonable.

To partially contradict an actual written rule - officially all ship models must be mounted above their base at all times during the game, except briefly in the process of adding or removing pegs to sort out models that get in each other's way. Unofficially nobody cares (unless you're top tables in a major event or something) so if you've got a mass multi-bump in the middle of the mat with oversized ship models, just go ahead and take some of the models off for a few turns.

- Use <<glue>> on your obstacles - and the ones of your opponent.  Bring the glue and share it.

Staples® â Mastic adhésif réutilisable, 56 g, bleu

- Use 3 hands to move your ships : ie:  always ask your opponent to hold something, always try to avoid as much as possible risking to inadvertently move something.

- when you roll dices, POINT the success and call them out loud.    Do not touch your dices before your opponent sees them.  never.  And roll the dice FAR from the ships.

- Don't play clock.  never, ever, never never ever.  Don't be this guy that after 3 rounds, decided to play the clock and go for the Final Salvo...  DONT DO THAT.

41 minutes ago, Dasharr said:

DON'T - perform the move for them without their permission.

This,  I think that it goes with "Don't touch your opponents models without permission"  couple a close calls with the Ghost and a broken Tie for this game just makes me paranoid at this point.

5 hours ago, XPav said:

Last store tournament I had to tell my opponent that, no, you can't use Networked Calculations to get the calculate token to fire Energy Shell charges.   I only knew that because I read things here and remembered it. 

Thats sad... its you just have to read the card. it's not even close to complicated.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Icelom said:

Thats sad... its you just have to read the card. it's not even close to complicated.

I have had to go no, you can't do that. It says so right there on the card, see? More than once :D

Edited by Cuz05
Not for Network specifically