Boom Owl

Unwritten Rules of Tournament X-Wing

Shower... like... this shouldn't need to be said... but if Yu-Gi-Oh has to have this as a legit WRITTEN rule, us having it as an unwritten one is fair game. I shouldn't have to fight you AND my lunch because you decided you didn't need to shower since before the LAST time we played.

The hydration thing is important.

Roll for first player choice if both sides have equal squad points: one person calls out hits/crits or blanks/eyeballs. 

Ask the other player to cut your damage deck.

Count your damage deck before the match.

When bumping, aligning ships, resetting ships, simply ask the other player "Does that look good?" or "Is that okay?" before removing ship markers, etc.

When flying close to asteroids, "place" or "set" your ships nubs down on the maneuver template, DO NOT SLIDE YOUR SHIPS NUBS TO THE TEMPLATE and scoot/bump the obstacle.

Have your stuff ready. Get to your table and set up your cards and items stat. I have locals that no matter the game will take forever setting up, and either it slows the whole tournament down or our game, I have seen people on turn 2 dials while we are placing obstacles.

If your opponent is doing something you think is not right, talk to them before running off to the TO, unless it is egregious. I have found most FFG players that are doing something inadvertently - slow play, bumping, etc, will be more diligent in future turns.

Thank your opponent for the game.

That can be "good game" or another way to phrase it. The point for doing this, independent of outcome: you would not have the opportunity to play if other players would not share your hobby and take the time to play with you.
The game might have been horrible, one-sided or luck dependent, or they (or worse: you!) might have been rude in some form. But they still took the time to sit down, and that is what deserves recognition.

Bring a bag of candy or nuts and share with fellow players around you - people are usually less grouchy when they have a little snack.  Also, record the result of your games played in case there's a mistake and it can be caught and corrected before the next round starts!

Mind hack yourself into a win.

This sounds dumb but it helps with your mind-game (giving yourself confidence--"fake it 'til you make it"). Practice "power stances" Google it. Hold the stance for two minutes and your body will believe it is successful, strong, etc. and make you less stressed.

Try it or don't. But standing like superman with your hands of your hips while you chit chat your opponent before the game starts isn't going to cost you anything.

----------------------------------------------------

Not a rule, but be aware of this phenomena: The lunch break is going to mess with people's rhythm. That break can mess you up if you were running "hot" 

Come back from mealtime early (10 min or so) and practice some openings or "drop the rocks".

Drop the Rocks: set up your ships and drop your 3 rocks right in front of them so they fall in random positions and practice maneuvering around them.
Bonus: set one of your ships on the far side of the rocks with arc on your first grouping to play the part of the bad guy. Try to maneuver or position yourself out of his arc and/or in your sights. Don't bother setting dials.

41 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Mind hack yourself into a win.

This sounds dumb but it helps with your mind-game (giving yourself confidence--"fake it 'til you make it"). Practice "power stances" Google it. Hold the stance for two minutes and your body will believe it is successful, strong, etc. and make you less stressed.

Try it or don't. But standing like superman with your hands of your hips while you chit chat your opponent before the game starts isn't going to cost you anything.

Maori_Haka_2016_article.jpg

12 hours ago, Ken-Obi said:

Bring a bag of candy or nuts and share with fellow players around you

Combined with the "shower/fist bump" rule, I would recommend candy that are packed separately.

It is funny because I am not interested about the competitive play because of all the NPE and hate, but you guys sounds like amazing people I would enjoy competing with. Thanks for sharing with us how kind and fair play those events can be.