Sign in to follow this  
Packerman29

New to legion

Posted (edited)

So I’m dipping my toes in to legion. I know I want to do empire. I want to get death troopers. Who is a good commander to start with?  I know regular troopers are a must. Tips and tricks would be much appreciated. 

Edited by Packerman29

Posted (edited)

As a good start (after Vader that you get in the starter) commander I recommend General Veers. He is easy to use and doesn't require anything particular to work with. He also synergieses well with Death Troopers. Just remember that you need something in your army that can handle a lightsaber hero like Royal Guards or Sniper Teams or Boba.

On the other hand Palp needs royal guards to work properly and he isn't as newbie friendly as the other commanders (but if you can get him in the right position he rains death on your enemy like none other). I'm not a big fan of Krennic. He has some good command cards but his stats and keywords imo are meh (also more difficult to use effectively than Veers).

A good starting tip that I can give you, is to learn and understand the cover rules. Cover is a very important mechanic in this game and also the mechanic that ppl argue about the most. Try to use at least 4 corps units in your lists. Also naked stormtroopers are pretty bad.  If you can, always give them a DLT. 

Very important: Don't forget during a game to play the objectives. You win by these, not by killing the enemy army. This sounds obvious, but many rookies make this mistake. And to claim the objectives you need your corps troops most of the time. So don't get them killed early on, they will win you the game at the end!

The rest comes with experience. Just play and if you want to improve further watch battle reports and visit list building sites. If you want to know what to buy first, just look through the forum. This has been discussed multiple times in different threads.

Final tip from me right now: Print the rules reference book or keep it on your phone. Nearly every rule question can be answered by checking the rr book.

Welcome to Star Wars Legion Packerman. You won't regret it 😎

Edited by Staelwulf

2 hours ago, Packerman29 said:

So I’m dipping my toes in to legion. I know I want to do empire. I want to get death troopers. Who is a good commander to start with?  I know regular troopers are a must. Tips and tricks would be much appreciated. 

Krennic for his Entourage: Deathtroopers ability if you know you want to run at least one unit of Deathtroopers.

I still think it’s a good idea to get two Core Sets if it’s in your budget! You get extra troopers, extra dice, extra range rulers etc. The value is great.

Then Veers and your Deathtroopers. 

Boba is a good stand alone purchase.

Scout Sniper Teams are very effective but you usually want to field two or more Strike Teams so it’s not the most efficient purchase.

I’ll also recommend the Operation: Take The Hill special set up as a newer player! It’s 500pts on a 3’x3’ table so it’s a little quicker and more accessible.

Welcome! Have fun!