Sign in to follow this  
BanthaExpress

Electro-Proton Bomb and remotes

When the Electro-Proton Bomb arrives in the next couple of months we will have an area of effect device that deals the ionised effect (or disarmed tokens) without actually doing any physical damage to ships in the area of effect for the first time in second edition.

What effect (if any) does anyone think this will have on remotes? Currently the only thing that can happen to remotes is damage (resulting in removal from the table) but that's not an issue in this case.

Thematically ionisation should have a really detrimental effect on remotes as they're entirely electronic but there's currently no guidance on this. Potentially it could be that ionisation is so catastrophic for remotes that it counts as damage and leads to removal from play.

Any ideas?

Posted (edited)

It will have no effect; it's already possible to ionise remotes, and there are no rules for what ions do to them, so they do nothing.

I very much doubt this will change.

E: I'm not even sure remotes can be targetted by bombs at all.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Yeah, I’m not entirely sure if any bombs/mines can damage remotes, off the top of my head.

But consider that other ion weapons up to this point (the only way I’m aware of to plausibly ionize remotes) do a damage before dealing ion, so it’s a moot point for Remotes in those cases anyways.

1 hour ago, svelok said:

Devices specify in their rules entry whether or not they affect remotes. Currently all bombs do, and mines do not.

Thanks

1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

But consider that other ion weapons up to this point (the only way I’m aware of to plausibly ionize remotes) do a damage before dealing ion, so it’s a moot point for Remotes in those cases anyways.

In the case of other ion weapons, yes it is a moot point, but as the Electro-Proton Bomb deals ion without damage (to unshielded craft at least, and as yet all remotes are unshielded) it potentially becomes an issue, or at least it would if ionisation affects remotes.

1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

Right, so they’ll clarify when it’s released, just as they’ve clarified everything else upon release.

Yes, I'm sure they will. In no way was I disagreeing with you.

My intention was to discuss how people thought a new feature of the game would be handled, which is, after all, one of the reasons for this forum to exist.

Sorry if that annoyed you.