Sign in to follow this  
JarJarBot

Stripping paint?

Anyone strip paint off of a Legion mini? I'm just wondering what I should use to strip paint with possibly damaging the mini. Have some Stormtroopers I want to repaint, change my army into an Imperial Royal Army scheme. Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Dettol if available. (Don't use generic brand). Soak mini in dettol overnight. Run mini under a cold tap and scrub with a stiff toothbrush to remove old paint. Have a small pool of fresh dettol to one side, dont re use the liquid you used for soaking. Keep cleaning the brush with this clean dettol as you scrub the mini. This step is important otherwise the stripped paint goes like tar and clogs the brush. Use a wooden toothpick for hard to reach spots. Also use gloves and do it somewhere well ventilated or even outdoors as it will stink up the house. Will also dissolve superglue so dont drop loose bits down the drain. Works on metal and plastic incl legion plastic

Edited by Alan Noir

46 minutes ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

I have always used simple green on metal minis.  No idea if it works on plastics. 

It does.  It’s a bit slow and a sonic jewelry cleaner helps a lot.  I find the washes and the paint come off pretty easy but the primer takes longer and usually requires some scrubbing.

On 5/4/2019 at 9:24 AM, Alan Noir said:

Dettol if available. (Don't use generic brand). Soak mini in dettol overnight. Run mini under a cold tap and scrub with a stiff toothbrush to remove old paint. Have a small pool of fresh dettol to one side, dont re use the liquid you used for soaking. Keep cleaning the brush with this clean dettol as you scrub the mini. This step is important otherwise the stripped paint goes like tar and clogs the brush. Use a wooden toothpick for hard to reach spots. Also use gloves and do it somewhere well ventilated or even outdoors as it will stink up the house. Will also dissolve superglue so dont drop loose bits down the drain. Works on metal and plastic incl legion plastic

Agreed Dettol is magic. It worked on some 20 year old Space crusade minis of mine. Took three layers of paint off no problem and didn't damage the plastic minis at all.