22 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

I've never been a fan of any of the bounty hunters; I only picked up Boba because i figured he'd be a fun painting challenge.  For the shoretroopers, I'm much the same as you, though if what has been leaked/suggested on here, the mortar is going to be a lot less interesting than I had hoped. 

how so range 4+ weapon that is suppressive its a good to add in with 3 ewebs and DTs.

13 minutes ago, azeronbloodmoone said:

how so range 4+ weapon that is suppressive its a good to add in with 3 ewebs and DTs.

You don't get the benefit of multiple suppressive keywords though as they don't have numbers after them.

24 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

You don't get the benefit of multiple suppressive keywords though as they don't have numbers after them.

nothing has multiple suppressive keywords with numbers after them. yous till can give 2 suppressive tokens a round though.

1 hour ago, thepopemobile100 said:

I think the intention is to make a suppression focused army, so between 3 ewebs with the generator, mortars, bossk, and DTs, you can throw out an insane amount of suppression in a given round. If you pick your targets carefully you can threaten multiple panics in one round with enough suppressive on the field. That seems potent.

23 hours ago, azeronbloodmoone said:

Because there's nothing really special about it.  If I want suppression, I'll use the other units you mention, or the AT-ST with the mortar.  I was hoping for some actual indirect, possibly with a keyword that allows it to use an operative, Commander, or SF unit's LOS.  Or maybe a comm upgrade that does the same.  Instead, we got the AT-ST's "mortar" by itself that sorta kinda can be used as indirect, but only if it's adding its die to a shoretrooper unit's attack.  Since I'm extremely "meh" on shoretroopers, it's not all that exciting for me.

8 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

Because there's nothing really special about it.  If I want suppression, I'll use the other units you mention, or the AT-ST with the mortar.  I was hoping for some actual indirect, possibly with a keyword that allows it to use an operative, Commander, or SF unit's LOS.  Or maybe a comm upgrade that does the same.  Instead, we got the AT-ST's "mortar" by itself that sorta kinda can be used as indirect, but only if it's adding its die to a shoretrooper unit's attack.  Since I'm extremely "meh" on shoretroopers, it's not all that exciting for me.

It's 36 points. Everything else listed is 55-200ish.

10 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

the mortar are 36 each so take 3 of them over a at-st, they should still be able to help on object control, ground vehicles can't go through them, they help with better unit order control with shoretroopers.

29 minutes ago, azeronbloodmoone said:

the mortar are 36 each so take 3 of them over a at-st, they should still be able to help on object control, ground vehicles can't go through them, they help with better unit order control with shoretroopers.

To be fair, you do have to take Shoretroopers as well, and he might not want to do that.

12 hours ago, azeronbloodmoone said:

you don't have to take shoretroopers, the mortars are separate units

As Lord Citrus said, you do have to take shoretroopers to have a mortar, and there lies the problem.  The mortar isn't just a cheap 36pt unit that can be bolted on, it replaces the heavy weapon option of a corps unit (the most expensive corps unit the Empire has as well).  Granted, it can help said unit, but it does so with a pretty "meh" weapon, at least in my opinion.  I can understand why others are excited about them, but for me, the mortar team was a huge let down from what I was hoping for.  I might change my tune upon release, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Alpha17 said:

As Lord Citrus said, you do have to take shoretroopers to have a mortar, and there lies the problem.  The mortar isn't just a cheap 36pt unit that can be bolted on, it replaces the heavy weapon option of a corps unit (the most expensive corps unit the Empire has as well).  Granted, it can help said unit, but it does so with a pretty "meh" weapon, at least in my opinion.  I can understand why others are excited about them, but for me, the mortar team was a huge let down from what I was hoping for.  I might change my tune upon release, but we'll see.

I can appreciate that adding ATST mortar dice to an attack is underwhelming. Instead, I'd encourage you to look at the Mortar as part of an overall list instead, if only so you can feel some of the hype :D 

You don't take the mortar for the dice. They're white dice. They'r terrible. Maybe you roll well and then woohoo for you, but on the whole they're not made for killing. But they are suppressive, and that's where it starts to fit in with the empire's emerging theme - suppression and action control.

By adding another unit with "Suppressive" to the table, you can build a list entirely around panicking your opponent. Deathtroopers, Mortars, and Bossk, combined with normal fire from shoretroopers and DLTs can throw out a dizzying amount of suppression a turn and if you time your activations correctly, you can start selectively panicking things from the board. Pair with "Annihilation Looms" and Strict Orders and not only will your key units have full actions, they'll also be in a prime position to affect your opponent's activation order - do they leave that unit unactivated and risk it panicking, or do they move it now so at least it's not off the board or out in the open to get annihilated?

Now if your hope was some sort of scatter fire thing like you might find in Warmahordes, you will probably be disappointed, as it seems like the development is steering clear of those mechanics (no true AOE's - everything is based on targeting a unit, regardless of nearby units). In which case, I'm sorry - it's never fun to expect A and get XYZ instead. 

But hopefully you can at least get a feel for what the intent is for the game and get excited about that instead? Or do what I've been doing and run the ATST with the new pilot and have decent odds of wiping a unit from the board a turn. It's super fun :D 

I’ve played against him several times and I have to say, he’s well worth the points to include in an Imperial list. Even if you don’t use his Command cards.

If he’s used properly, you’ll keep him at range 4 and round after round pickoff unit after unit. If someone makes a play on Bossk (moving into range 3), duck him into cover and let him heal up while moving him back to range 4, then rinse and repeat. At first I thought Bossk’s 3 pip was crap (getting multiple aims for 1 attack) but having 5 crits on 5 dice is insane (no cover, no dodge with Pierce 1). Bossk is a unit that looks like it might be weak on paper (white defense dice and white attack dice), but in game he is a bad *****.

5 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

I’ve played against him several times and I have to say, he’s well worth the points to include in an Imperial list. Even if you don’t use his Command cards.

If he’s used properly, you’ll keep him at range 4 and round after round pickoff unit after unit. If someone makes a play on Bossk (moving into range 3), duck him into cover and let him heal up while moving him back to range 4, then rinse and repeat. At first I thought Bossk’s 3 pip was crap (getting multiple aims for 1 attack) but having 5 crits on 5 dice is insane (no cover, no dodge with Pierce 1). Bossk is a unit that looks like it might be weak on paper (white defense dice and white attack dice), but in game he is a bad *****.

I’m so pumped! I pray to the nerd gods, and the lizard gods that he comes out this month

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2019 at 6:57 AM, Alpha17 said:

yeah didn't see that they added that at the end that they are need to be with shore troopers. as a detachment is said a few times at the start.

Edited by azeronbloodmoone