Dalli

Hot Rod - The Decimator lives!

I love the challenge and unpredictability of this list so much that I’ve committed myself to using this exclusively for extended games at least until I learn it well (I often find myself rotating lists a lot because there are so many I still want to try out!). So, wondering how others are optimizing their setup. So, of people who have used the Hot Rod list by the OP, how are you setting up obstacles and where are you deploying your ships to the board? Do you find yourself able to use VTG effectively? And at what point do you usually use Jerjerrod’s effect for the first time in a game?

8 hours ago, Synel said:

I love the challenge and unpredictability of this list so much that I’ve committed myself to using this exclusively for extended games at least until I learn it well (I often find myself rotating lists a lot because there are so many I still want to try out!). So, wondering how others are optimizing their setup. So, of people who have used the Hot Rod list by the OP, how are you setting up obstacles and where are you deploying your ships to the board? Do you find yourself able to use VTG effectively? And at what point do you usually use Jerjerrod’s effect for the first time in a game?

You want to make the obstacles reasonably loose so you can fly the deci between them, and you want the middle of the board to be mostly gas (remember that you can still trigger dauntless if you run into someone while running over gas). If the enemy is flying aces, make the obstacles as spread out as possible. I set up with the turret sideways on RAC and usually put my ships at opposite ends of the board so my opponent has to commit to chasing one of them.

I've not used VTG, it's more there as a panic button / control to make sure RAC doesn't get surrounded. 

I use jerjerrod whenever I need to move one of my ships somewhere unexpected: dodge a trap with whisper, snake around somewhere with RAC, or maybe both. I will often use moff j approaching the initial engagement to bamboozle my opponent

I have been flying this in Fly Casual and having a lot of fun:

RAC w/LW, 7th Sister, 5th Brother, 000, Dauntless, Proton Bombs, Shield Upgrade.

Vader w/Hate, Afterburners, FCS

Use 000 to trigger 7th Sister to either tractor or jam the opponent.  Usually reinforce as an action on RAC.

Stay on topic guys. It is Hot Rod.

Yesterday I won a little tournamant with it. Two times Sep swarm. One 200 : 0 against 5 drones with Maul und one 200 : 37 against 5 drones with a Bellbulab. And I also win against Jedis. A good day to destroy some prequel Stuff. 

I still love the List. 

I flew the Tua/Vader/Hotshot variant at the Seattle SOS on Saturday, after flying it twice in the two days prior to the event. Chiraneau is a monster, but the unheralded MVP of the list has to go to the Hull Upgrade. That two point investment got me one win, and 240 points of MOV. My first two games saw the Decimator taking 16 damage, and another 8 points in the next two. That single extra point of hull saved me 60 points per game.

As far as Hotshot Gunner: fantastic. There are a lot of ships which are more than happy to take a point of damage in exchange for getting a focused attack on you, so Hotshot forces their decision. They are going to lose that token, and Whisper is going to be able to Juke you. Or you can force them to spend the token with Vader, and Hotshot a second ship before it can fire. Defending against two unfocused attacks is always going to be better than two focused ones, and really hurts those stinking Energy Charged Vulture droids.

Curious what the opinion on Novice Technician is? I've used it once or twice and it's saved me from damaged engines, Hull Breaches, etc.

It is a little bit of RNG, but it tends to come through right when you need it. Trickiest thing for me is getting an open slot for it...

1 hour ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Curious what the opinion on Novice Technician is? I've used it once or twice and it's saved me from damaged engines, Hull Breaches, etc.

It is a little bit of RNG, but it tends to come through right when you need it. Trickiest thing for me is getting an open slot for it...

I don't think it's worth the risk for 4 points. There aren't many crits that are truly devastating for the Decimator if they remain face-up and which cannot be repaired otherwise. Meanwhile, you still have a 3/8 chance of exposing a card, which could be anything: an extra damage card from a Direct Hit, a Hull Breach, a Panicked Pilot, a poorly timed Loose Stabilizer, etc.

I played the OP list in a casual game today and thoroughly bamboozled my opponent. I won handily, and I'm generally terrible with 2-ship lists.

Fifth Brother's Force kept Whisper alive two extra turns.

I'm really tempted to drop Hull Upgrade to bump the Proton Bombs to Proxies or replace VTG with Agile Gunner.

14 minutes ago, Quarrel said:

I played the OP list in a casual game today and thoroughly bamboozled my opponent. I won handily, and I'm generally terrible with 2-ship lists.

Fifth Brother's Force kept Whisper alive two extra turns.

I'm really tempted to drop Hull Upgrade to bump the Proton Bombs to Proxies or replace VTG with Agile Gunner.

6 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I can't bring myself to make any changes to the deci after reading OP's post about it. I could see myself running a different deci with oicunn and 7th sister, but in this build there aren't any changes I really like

On 5/30/2019 at 9:36 PM, gadwag said:

You want to make the obstacles reasonably loose so you can fly the deci between them, and you want the middle of the board to be mostly gas (remember that you can still trigger dauntless if you run into someone while running over gas). If the enemy is flying aces, make the obstacles as spread out as possible. I set up with the turret sideways on RAC and usually put my ships at opposite ends of the board so my opponent has to commit to chasing one of them.

I've not used VTG, it's more there as a panic button / control to make sure RAC doesn't get surrounded. 

I use jerjerrod whenever I need to move one of my ships somewhere unexpected: dodge a trap with whisper, snake around somewhere with RAC, or maybe both. I will often use moff j approaching the initial engagement to bamboozle my opponent

I played in a casual, low headcount tourney last weekend. Of three games played, I’d like to mention two: both involving scum lists with fen rau, and either escape craft and low Init Star Vipers, or Teroch and Han+Qi’ra. The most notable takeaway for me from this experience was how good Vader crew is on the Decimator. In general, Fang Fighters are daunting to me in small ship combat due to their resilience. But what I experienced in these games was absolutely delightful. They have no shields, so they don’t want to take a proton bomb by any means. And Vader was key in taking them out since they only have 4 health. At times, he forced them to reposition so that they couldn’t be targeted. But the best occurrences were when the Deci was able to block and still have the turret pointed toward them. It was so satisfying to find something that could threaten Fangs In a way that felt, in some way, like retribution for the fear they inspired in me. The most unfortunate lesson of the game with Fenn, Teroch, and Han was, however, that I realized too late that I had VTG active for several turns in a row and wasn’t triggering it!!! My opponent had noticed much earlier and we had a good chuckle when I finally saw it. Silly me. Gotta slow myself down during combat. I experienced that sideways turret position is definitely the way to go because that position allows three arcs to be  sort of covered: two turrets and one by bombs

On 6/10/2019 at 3:32 PM, JBFancourt said:

Hey, @Dalli, can you do a write up about round 0 stuff and how you deploy. I’ve been flying Hot Rod about a dozen times. 

Any links to any video of Gameplay?

Thanks! 

It exist one report. We hope to film another one or two soon.

On 5/4/2019 at 12:21 PM, Enno said:

@Synel

I have played against 4 Fangs and it was a massacre. On top is that the fangs abbilitys do not trigger in the Decimators turret arc. I have managed some double shots with VTG both modified with RAC and so I could do some devastating damage on 2 Fangs too.

I tried Hot Rod out today. 3 games, in a casual tournament between friends.

I've never flown a Tie Phantom before (in either edition) and I prefer Chiraneau with Tua and Hot Shot Gunner plus Trick Shot, but the list works well. Game 1, I parked Whisper at range 1 in front of Hera, after already getting her shot to pieces and deservedly lost. RAC still killed Lando and got Hera down to 3 hull.

Game 2, killed Ahsoka and one and a half Torrents but lost on points when time was up. This was winnable, Whisper was unhurt and I needed to have been slightly more aggressive with her.

Game 3, vs Hera, Jan and Dutch, won 200-126. RAC died, but with one slightly better dial choice would have lived. By this time I'd got the basics of flying a phantom down.

Moff J was very good for the bomb drop, but otherwise I still prefer my version. Having 2 actions per turn with RAC really helps his damage output. Never got Veteren TG to trigger though.

Decimator was my favorite ship in v1. Never played it in v2.

Inspired by this thread, I just give it a try last game night. After two games I decided on this version which is my new favorite:
VT-49 Decimator - •Rear Admiral Chiraneau - 119
    •Rear Admiral Chiraneau - Advisor to Admiral Piett (80)
        •Lone Wolf (5)
        •Darth Vader (14)
        •Minister Tua (7)
        Proton Bombs (5)
        Agile Gunner (8)

I prefered Tua and Agile Gunner because of the "free" actions. With Tua, you don't need Dauntless, if Reinforce is your default action. VTG triggered only once in two games (I played twice against 4-ship lists). I used AG almost every turn.

(FYI, I paired it with a Punisher instead of Whisper

TIE/ca Punisher - •“Redline” - 79
    •“Redline” - Adrenaline Junkie (52)
        Advanced Sensors (10)
        Proton Torpedoes (12)
        Proton Bombs (5)

)

Edited by Cartchan

Curious to @Dalli, how do you get VTG to proc more often? Do you do front-back and double-tap your pursuant with bombs and a butt-shot while also firing ahead? Or do you try to go out both sides to get 2 uses of RAC's ability? Do you just dive down the center instead of skirting like most do with turrets? Most people say VTG doesn't pull its weight but apparently you use it all the time, so I'm curious how you do.

So almost every variant of this list seems to have gotten better in the new update. The increases to Whisper are more than offset by the reductions to the Deci and its crew. Plus, the addition of a third crew slot means that a Gunner is no longer an automatic consideration. Chiraneau can now combine Vader, Jerrjerrod and Tua.

9 minutes ago, JBFancourt said:

@Dalli

Okay, I love it too much to leave behind. 201 points now.... 

What’s your recommendation?

If you replace VTG with a Hotshot Gunner, it comes in at exactly 200 points. The combo of Vader and Hotshot gives several advantages:

- If they haven't attacked yet, then you could use Vader to remove a focus from one ship, and then Hotshot the focus off of another. This reduces their chance to hit when they attack.

- It helps you guarantee that Whisper will be able to Juke a shot at a tokenless defender. Even if they decide to keep the token and take the damage, you still have a way to strip it before Whisper fires.

- It lets you strip focus/calculate tokens at r3, and Vader still lets you convert a focus result through the Force.

I removed Proton Bombs and upgraded hull to shield upgrade then added Passive Sensors to Whisper. 

I figured the rerolls would make up for losing the bombs. 

I love VTG too much to remove. I play with a lot of 4-5 ship builds in my meta and use it regularly.