Jump to content
Dalli

Hot Rod - The Decimator lives!

Recommended Posts

This squad and strategies sound awesome. That's some proper junk here. I love it. I might bring it to the table in the next Extended event I go to, unless my Republic squad actually works...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How often do you find you get 'critted out'?

My games with the Deci is kinda the same as yours, it lives forever with reinforce, but can randomly just pop to crits.

That RNG component of it is what is keeping my away from it for competitive, but it is so close for me as I like what it does. RAC can play hammer or anvil, they can't ignore it because he will just crit them away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great read, I'll be netlisting this at some point as I love these two ships and have some that are painted/modded :D

Looking at how I might change this up a little, did you ever get the double shot from the gunner?  Given your strategies on how to fly it I was thinking that intimidation and Agile Gunner might make for better economy and still leave you able to boost every other turn if need.  Against those beef squads it would seem that for Reinforce to really work you'd want to bump the ships on the ends, not ones in the middle where you're taking shots from both sides.  I'd probably line up in the middle, but at the last moment do the 1 bank to either side, reinforcing the rear.  

What obstacles did you use and how did those help force your strategies on the other players?  Also, were any of your games streamed?  Great run!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very curious to see how this list stands up to Jake Brake Han. Also curious how many people will consider it an NPE. It sounds really tricky to play right though, and at I5 you're not doing anything with perfect information. Most of your tricks are in the system phase and you're getting stressed by them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is brilliant. I have hard time building a good and enjoyable list with the decimator. Thanks for explaining how to use it. Would like to try it soon and tell you where it goes (knowing myself, surely into asteroïds).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Genius use of Jerjerrod there. Unfortunately, now that you've pointed out the Whisper shenanigans it feels like he's overpriced in any other context! 😂

 

I always suspected that Jerry was the key to making the Decimator work, but I don't know why I hadn't put Jerry/Vader/Title together as a combo yet. With Lone Wolf and VTG on RAC you've got enough offense going around so you can always-reinforce and live that much longer with some pretty nice mods.

The phantom is cool, but I feel like another wingman would be more fun for me personally...

Edit: Here we go! Why not throw more good points after bad, right?

In seriousness though, I feel like the I5 TIEs don't get nearly enough credit. It's basically a conditional 3-attack ship with I5 for 32 points. Add predator and AB to both and you have a pair of slippery I5 4-dice ships with pre-maneuver boost from Jerry, post-maneuver boost from AB, re-roll, and focus. They'll pop fast if you make a mistake, but they also have some crazy flanking power! Dying to give this a spin.

Rear Admiral Chiraneau
Lone Wolf
Moff Jerjerrod
Darth Vader
Veteran Turret Gunner
Dauntless
     
“Scourge” Skutu
Predator
Afterburners
     
“Mauler” Mithel
Predator
Afterburners

Total: 199 points

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Yep. Been thinking about this idea too.

why whisper over other aces? I presume not Vader cuz crew. 

For the decloak+boost with JJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imo, novice tech is great for not getting critted out. But if you do that, you miss out of this man's shenanigans.

I thought that after an ace European makes a cut with a deci, people would finally believe that the deci is valuable. Unfortunately, most circles are still overlooking it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

Imo, novice tech is great for not getting critted out. But if you do that, you miss out of this man's shenanigans.

I thought that after an ace European makes a cut with a deci, people would finally believe that the deci is valuable. Unfortunately, most circles are still overlooking it.

Great chassis, still overpriced though. Only large bases currently worth it are Han, Sai, and maybe Hera. Others all need a big drop.

Maarek Steele would have a field day against this list. He’s great at pulling out those panicked pilot crits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Great chassis, still overpriced though. Only large bases currently worth it are Han, Sai, and maybe Hera. Others all need a big drop.

Maarek Steele would have a field day against this list. He’s great at pulling out those panicked pilot crits.

Panicked is not my favorite Marek crit, although it has its use. Always aim for hull breach, fuel leak, and direct. If you can't dumpster someone with a crit chain, make them irrelevant with weapons failure, loose stabilizer, panicked, danaged sensor, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your questions and feedback.

First of all I think these list has gone through a development and reached a stage where there is little to improve or change.

The following are a few comments

On 5/3/2019 at 3:06 PM, Jo Jo said:

Great build. I've been meaning to get RAC on the table with the Grand Inquisitor. The tactically adaptability seems potent, have you tried that?

He ist also I5 thats good. He costs too little and does too little damage thats bad. The Problem is he doesn't have a good action economy.. If the Jerjerod boost were white, it'd be different.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:08 PM, Jyico said:

Looking at how I might change this up a little, did you ever get the double shot from the gunner?  Given your strategies on how to fly it I was thinking that intimidation and Agile Gunner might make for better economy and still leave you able to boost every other turn if need.  Against those beef squads it would seem that for Reinforce to really work you'd want to bump the ships on the ends, not ones in the middle where you're taking shots from both sides.  I'd probably line up in the middle, but at the last moment do the 1 bank to either side, reinforcing the rear.  

What obstacles did you use and how did those help force your strategies on the other players?  Also, were any of your games streamed?  Great run!

Good point with the obstacels. I had already noticed that I forgot to write something about it. I use the gas clouds. It makes the Decimator even more durable.

Intimidation was good - but I want to take out ships. So Chiraneau can not fire on overlapped ships. In such a setup I have to split fire. it's not what it wants.

 

On 5/4/2019 at 4:40 PM, player3010587 said:

Imo, novice tech is great for not getting critted out. But if you do that, you miss out of this man's shenanigans.

I thought that after an ace European makes a cut with a deci, people would finally believe that the deci is valuable. Unfortunately, most circles are still overlooking it.

 Of course it is one of the major threats. But the most crits are not as bad as you think. In my experiance only the double stress is importent. In my games, that was rarely a problem.

I don't think that there will be any changes how the players judge the deci. Sometimes I think it's a waste of time to present something like this, because most players tend to play simpler things. Somewhat complicated things are also good - but the players often don't understand that or don't want to accept it. So lists like this die without being born in a meta.

On 5/5/2019 at 12:50 AM, player3010587 said:

Panicked is not my favorite Marek crit, although it has its use. Always aim for hull breach, fuel leak, and direct. If you can't dumpster someone with a crit chain, make them irrelevant with weapons failure, loose stabilizer, panicked, danaged sensor, etc.

 I have played three times against Maarek and it was never a Problem. Because Maarek need one or two engages to wipe out.  He's a bad defender. Vader, Juke, and two good modifed Attacks (and/or bombs) destroys him often before he get a good chance to make some importend crits. He is a ship with one action and he is not one of that ships that live long against Hot Rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think moff jerjerrof  on deci is not only a way to make bump blockers. 

is also a way  get far from arc dodgers and avoid to be arc dodged

the ony thing that i don't like of this list is that there is no bid.... but if it works blocking it make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Manolox said:

i think moff jerjerrof  on deci is not only a way to make bump blockers. 

is also a way  get far from arc dodgers and avoid to be arc dodged

the ony thing that i don't like of this list is that there is no bid.... but if it works blocking it make sense.

A Bid is not important. Only Whisper can make a barrel roll to arc dodge someone. It is certainly not unimportant, but it is totally negligible in this setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dalli said:

A Bid is not important. Only Whisper can make a barrel roll to arc dodge someone. It is certainly not unimportant, but it is totally negligible in this setup.

you are right! it was just to rotate the turret against i 5 ships. i was thinking about a little bid  (about 5 points), but yes it doesn't seems strictly necessary. 

with 2 ships i'm always worryed about to be shooten  and not shoot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would've thought that Agile Gunner would be better/more useful than VTG? I can't say it's often I have stuff in both arcs and AG lets you rotate even whilst stressed. It's pretty efficient 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: Dont' you prefer hotshot gunner at veteran turret gunner ?

you can then remove tokens from ships that whisper can will shoot at, helping getting juke more efficient. Opponents will be stuck with the difficult choice of removing of taking a focus action to ignore juke, or simply take alock and eat damage. 

The question is where will you take the point to get hotshot...

But I really love your list. Once my LGS HS trial will be done, I'll try it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...